Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution

GameStop has stopped selling the copies of the standard edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution they opened to in order to remove OnLive codes from Eidos Montreal's action/RPG prequel, reports CNN Money. The article says the game retailer is also refusing to sell sealed copies either, as they are seemingly insisting that Square Enix send them copies of the game without the code to play the game on the cloud-based service, and Kotaku has a copy of the mail telling GameStop store managers to pull the game from the shelves which states: "As GameStop is developing a streaming service in our Spawn Labs Cloud Gaming Division, the coupon that was included is for a competitive service. We are returning all copies of the regular edition to the vendor in agreement with Square Enix." They are, however, continuing to sell the game via digital distribution. There has been speculation about the legality of removing these codes, and articles on IndustryGamers and Wired (thanks Mike Martinez) each quote lawyers on the topic, saying that it is possible that this could result in lawsuits, but in each case speculating that such litigation would probably not be successful.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 23:36 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 18:50:
Add this to previous Gamestop scandals of employees playing games then selling them as new, and there's a lot to be upset about.

I'm always down for some GameStop bashing but I'm pretty sure this practice stopped in 2003 while I was still working there. Well, at least in my region. I remember because after that we could only do it with used games and eventually not at all. I worked there for about 2 years and only ever "checked out" a single game, can't even recall what it was now.

As far as "gutting" new game boxes to make a display copy... We would open one box and store the game in a cardboard sleeve locked behind the counter. When all new unopened copies had been sold, a customer seeking a new copy would be informed that only the display copy was available but it would still be full price. People turned us down often but at the same time many didn't mind at all. We would also offer to shrink wrap it if it was a gift or something.

The reason I'm sure this display copy problem got worse though is because GS ordered less and less new copies unless reserved. Pre-orders always get a sealed copy, people buying new but much later in the life of the game are very likely to get a display copy since only 2 or 3 new are kept in stock.

edit: OOoh forgot to mention that a fun side effect (err primary purpose) of this policy was cracking up at people stuffing their jackets full of empty game boxes. Oh mall GameStop, good times.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2011, 23:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 18:50 jdreyer

Yeah, 2 is probably the best option for "both of them:" Gamestop and Square Enix. It's just not the best option for the end consumer. Add this to previous Gamestop scandals of employees playing games then selling them as new, and there's a lot to be upset about.

Interestingly, Square essentially apologized to GS about not giving them a heads up about the coupons. Whoever mentioned the FF games that GS sells for Square made a good observation.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 10:46 meezookeewee

Tumbler wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 10:15:
And Consumers? I think consumers would be better served buying the game elsewhere and getting the onlive code with purchase as intended. I don't think selling consumers an incomplete product as new when everyone else has it new and in complete condition is a benefit to them.

It isn't. It's a deceptive business practice. They're lying to the customers. And selling an incomplete product at full price. That doesn't benefit ANYBODY.

30. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 10:15 Tumbler

From a business perspective, 1 is bad. They probably figured that taking the codes out would be the better option for both them and consumers

And Consumers? I think consumers would be better served buying the game elsewhere and getting the onlive code with purchase as intended. I don't think selling consumers an incomplete product as new when everyone else has it new and in complete condition is a benefit to them.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 09:21 Shineyguy

sauron wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 08:45:
Deus Ex won't sell many physical copies, but Final Fantasy console titles sell by the truckload, and Square Enix also produces and publishes those.

If I was SE, I'd put together two versions of the next FF title. One version with just the base game, for sale at Gamestop. And a second version, with an extra set of quests, rainbow colored chocobo to ride on, and a loli NPC companion, for sale everywhere else. Then let the Gamestop copies rot on the shelves.

What they really SHOULD do is leave Gamestop behind and not stock their shelves with anything. There's plenty of other B&M retailers out there that don't pull these stunts and SquareEnix can point their customers in that direction.

At this point, GameStop doesn't really deserve any of SquareEnix's business.

28. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 08:58 J

sauron wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 08:45:
Deus Ex won't sell many physical copies, but Final Fantasy console titles sell by the truckload, and Square Enix also produces and publishes those.

If I was SE, I'd put together two versions of the next FF title. One version with just the base game, for sale at Gamestop. And a second version, with an extra set of quests, rainbow colored chocobo to ride on, and a loli NPC companion, for sale everywhere else. Then let the Gamestop copies rot on the shelves.

Please forward this to Squeenix!

27. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 08:56 necrosis

Wait, wait, wait. GameStop is getting their panties in a knot over a piece of paper in a PC game.

Key word here *PC GAME*.

When in the last 10 years has GameStop given a flying rats ass fuck about PC gaming? Every fucking store I go into has PC games on a 3 foot square rolling cart loaded with busted up and open boxes. New titles? Not unless you preorder, and even then never get enough.

26. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 08:45 sauron

Kittens!

25. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 06:56 briktal

jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 04:56:
The last throes of Brick n Mortar. They are really shooting themselves in the foot with this reaction. Losing sales, and bad publicity.

Well they had three options: 1) Just sell the games as-is, letting Square Enix/OnLive walk all over them, possibly including breaking existing agreements 2) take the codes out and sell the games 3) return the copies with the codes and wait for SE to send them copies without the codes. From a business perspective, 1 is bad. They probably figured that taking the codes out would be the better option for both them and consumers, since it would be the fastest way for them to get the games without the codes. I guess they just underestimated how mad the internet would get that someone outside a factory might've touched the inside of the box of their Steamworks game.

24. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 04:56 jdreyer

The last throes of Brick n Mortar. They are really shooting themselves in the foot with this reaction. Losing sales, and bad publicity.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 04:41 Tanto Edge

Wow... fuck GameStop.
Snooze and lose is the phrase of today.
If I were a publisher/supplier I think I'd start an antitrust lawsuit.
Imagine how much of a headache this is for the employees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

22. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 03:32 Kedyn

God, I'm glad I didn't fucking buy from Gamestop.  

21. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 03:00 J

I'm sorry, I can't hear the sound of that nail going in to GameStop's coffin over the sound of how awesome Deus Ex Human Revolution is!

1 day to go

20. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 01:58 jamiedj99

if you cant return an open box you shouldnt be able to sell an open box as new open is used only  

19. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 25, 2011, 00:25 Creston

Isn't it just the PC version that has the Onlive code? If so, which copies are they pulling "off the shelves" exactly? What shelves, for that matter?

Fuck Gamestop.

Creston

18. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 23:56 Jerykk

I would be genuinely surprised if a large number of people were still using Gamestop for PC games, considering that their physical inventory is next to nothing. However they're harder to avoid for console games.

Never really understood why people feel that way. You can buy console games from the internet. If you buy from Amazon, you get free shipping and no tax. You can pay 99 cents for release day delivery. It's quick, easy and you aren't supporting a worthless company like GameStop.

17. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 22:02 PropheT

Dev wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:19:
Gamestop VP:

ZOMG! That first bad decision I made to pull the coupons was a bad one, so lets follow it up with a worse one!

I don't know, they've written off their pc games retail business so much over the years that I doubt it matters much for their bottom line.

16. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 22:02 Darks

Overon wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:33:
Fuck gamestop. I haven't been there in over a decade.

I still don't know how you can sell an opened box product with something missing from it at full price without notifying the customer.

Itís like two little children fighting over a toy. Unbelievable, Screw Game Stop. Their lose. Iím sure Square Enix can pretty well screw Game Stop over if they wanted too by boycotting them for being assholes.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

15. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 21:33 Overon

Fuck gamestop. I haven't been there in over a decade.

I still don't know how you can sell an opened box product with something missing from it at full price without notifying the customer.

14. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 21:24 Parallax Abstraction

Valcor wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 21:13:
"This business will get out of control..."

"...it'll get out of control and we'll by lucky to live through it."

Such a good movie.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo