Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steve Jobs Resigns

Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple, Inc, the computer company he co-founded in 1976, reports Reuters, saying trading in Apple stock was suspended just prior to the announcement. He will assume the role of Chairman, and is being succeeded as CEO by Tim Cook, who was previously Apple COO. Jobs, a 55 year-old cancer survivor, has been on medical leave for an undisclosed condition since January, and while it is not clear what role his health played in this decision, it seems from the wording of his announcement that it was a factor. "I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know," he said in his resignation letter. "Unfortunately, that day has come." Cook has served as interim CEO during two of Jobs' previous medical absences, and has been running day-to-day operations of the company during Jobs' most recent leave. The report quotes BGC Financial analyst Colin Gillis saying: "I will say to investors: don't panic and remain calm, it's the right thing to do. Steve will be chairman and Cook is CEO." Thanks Dirwulf.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 29, 2011, 12:01 Beamer

iPhone UI is definitely a piece of shit. Maybe it wasn't in 2007, but it is now. It's a grid. At the very least it needs folders.

Sorry, right now the best UI is WP7. It still has a long ways to go (again, folders!) but it's the most fluid. Android and RIM have the most function (RIM has an enormous amount of function, which I loved, but very little form or usefulness.) iPhone kind of lacks everything other than apps.

If you want a lot of apps, even if the bulk of good ones are multiplatform, get iOS. Want functionality go Android. Want joy of use get WP7.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 29, 2011, 11:56 Mr. Tact

It kind of feels like a photo shop...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

67. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 29, 2011, 08:51 nin

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 23:31:
Dev wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 06:41:
Here's what he looks like now:
http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/26/steve-jobs-apple-photo-resignation-ceo-sick

I'm pretty sure its medical issues as to why he's resigning now.

Oh man. That's just heartbreaking :/

^D^

Rumor is that's a photoshop. And as private as Steve has been with his personal life, I have a hard time believing, even if he was in that condition, he'd let someone pose him like that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

66. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 28, 2011, 23:31 ^Drag0n^

Dev wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 06:41:

Oh man. That's just heartbreaking :/

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

65. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 27, 2011, 06:41 Dev

64. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 22:56 Creston

SectorEffector wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 16:00:
You can't convince me that they didn't sway the market in the next direction, just look at Nintendo shitting themselves over the mobile games market.

Same for the iPad. NOBODY ELSE gave a shit about these touch screen tablet's until the iPad did some shit right (albiet with a really simple and bland OS) It still wound up the market. You can't ignore these things if you want to talk tech and have other savvies take you seriously.

You need to point out exactly where in my post I said either thing. I simply said that the iPhone UI is a piece of shit.

Building straw men don't exactly help you get taken seriously either.

Creston

63. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 19:42 Sepharo

I don't blame Apple for sheep.

Apple makes great products but it's the uninformed masses and drooling press that make their "now slightly thinner and faster" products the wild successes that they are.

62. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 16:00 SectorEffector

Creston wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 11:32:
Theo wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 10:03:
It just works, and unlike my wifes HTC/droid handset, it has a clean efficent UI that doesnt look like it was designed by a 90's KDE developer (read someone who was designing a UI with no UI design skills).

That's your opinion. I find the iPhone's UI to be a giant pile of flaming shit. The buttons are never in the same place on the screen. They're never called the same thing. Trying to navigate back to the screen you were before always turns into a mini version of "Where's Waldo?"

Compare that to Sense, which simply has a back button on the phone. And a Menu button, that brings up screen context-sensitive information every time you push it.

The iPhone's a good phone, but hailing it as some form of Uber-UI is, imo, a little bit too much Steve Jobs Fluffery. As even Peter MolyNENEYUSUYSUUXUXUXUXUXU eventually found out, there's nothing wrong with having a few consistent buttons.

Creston

Keep in mind Creston, Apple made the smartphone what it is today. When I was working for Sprint back in my shit job days, I was amazed that they would release like 60 new phones a month from LG, HTC, Samsung, Motorola a month or so. It was ridiculous. Then the iPhone comes out and suddenly its all about touchscreen and "The IPHONE KILLER" I remember the first 2 years of 'Iphone inspired phones" were shit. I still find the hardware inconsistency in most Androids to be a pain.

You can't convince me that they didn't sway the market in the next direction, just look at Nintendo shitting themselves over the mobile games market.

Same for the iPad. NOBODY ELSE gave a shit about these touch screen tablet's until the iPad did some shit right (albiet with a really simple and bland OS) It still wound up the market. You can't ignore these things if you want to talk tech and have other savvies take you seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

61. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 11:32 Creston

Theo wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 10:03:
It just works, and unlike my wifes HTC/droid handset, it has a clean efficent UI that doesnt look like it was designed by a 90's KDE developer (read someone who was designing a UI with no UI design skills).

That's your opinion. I find the iPhone's UI to be a giant pile of flaming shit. The buttons are never in the same place on the screen. They're never called the same thing. Trying to navigate back to the screen you were before always turns into a mini version of "Where's Waldo?"

Compare that to Sense, which simply has a back button on the phone. And a Menu button, that brings up screen context-sensitive information every time you push it.

The iPhone's a good phone, but hailing it as some form of Uber-UI is, imo, a little bit too much Steve Jobs Fluffery. As even Peter MolyNENEYUSUYSUUXUXUXUXUXU eventually found out, there's nothing wrong with having a few consistent buttons.

Creston

60. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 10:58 ^Drag0n^

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 09:09:
Apple did copy/steal a lot of stuff in the early days but I agree with you that it's silly to say everything they're releasing now is just a copy of someone else's work.

Design by iteration lends itself to that-people claim that things are stolen, that aren't. Case in point: People claimed Apple "stole" the mouse. It didn't. Xerox PARC didn't patent the idea, (in fact, their management didn't even think it was patentable), so Apple got an idea and ran with it on the Lisa/Mac. I'd argue that the closest to stealing that we have seen was the abysmally low amount of money Gates paid the guy that actually wrote DOS back in the early 80's.

The only comment I wanted to address is your shoddy sweatshop one because that's definitely not something Apple is above. Their #1 manufacturing partner is Foxconn, a company with a long-reaching horrendous reputation for abusing and exploiting workers. They recently had a rash of suicides at the factory that makes the iPad because people were being forced to work 20 hour days with no overtime, being verbally and physically abused and like many Chinese factories, the majority of the little money they did make went into paying for the factory provided quarters which make slums here look like the Ritz Carlton. Their solution? Install nets so that people who attempted suicide wouldn't succeed. A lot of companies use Foxconn so Apple isn't alone on that front but Apple has the power to improve conditions for the people who build their stuff and frankly, doesn't care.

I agree. The suicides are appalling. But the other thing you have to keep in mind are social differences between our countries (Asian countries take shame very seriously), as well as asking yourself "Is China the only place someone ever killed themselves over a problem at work or at home?"

Having been to a Foxconn factory in Shenzen (and a few other factories that aren't Foxconn's) for a previous company, I can tell you that the people at Foxconn are far better off than they would be in a factory without any American influence. Change in China happens slowly and over time. A part of affecting that change is that the American companies insist on fair working conditions, safety standards, and processes and procedures that protect the workers. There are two sides to this coin, and it's never a simple issue. And the press always takes the sensational route that sells airtime or papers.

Additionally, keep in mind the fact that on a corporate scale, no one can tell the Chinese government to do anything. HP, Dell, Tyco, Sony, Microsoft....all of them face the same issue of cost vs competitiveness, and while a stand may be a noble thing, it's business suicide in China. And a mistake that can kill a company.

Are the wages there low by American standards? You bet. But that's also the primary reason the jobs are there in the first place. Are the wages there high by Chinese standards? Again, yes. People here in North America tend to look at things in an absolute fashion, with demands for instant change. That almost never happens in reality.

Look, I'm not saying Apple (or any corporation) is an angel, but you can't blame (or believe) every bad thing you see about working conditions in some Chinese plants on them. The truth is, they are trying to pull it up, because as anyone that's worked in manufacturing knows that a motivated, healthy workforce makes the best quality product. On the whole, based on what I hear from friends that work there, Apple does work your ass off, but they also treat them extremely well.

To me it's kind of like another issue: I always shake my head at the guy complaining about illegals taking jobs away,while they sit on their ass all day, collecting unemployment and buying groceries with Food Stamps rather than taking a job at Wal*Mart or working on a farm. I abhor hypocracy.

But that really wasn't my point: My point was I'm glad to see an American company succeed in this economy, rather than a company taking all our money offshore.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

59. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 10:58 B M

Jobs was a visionary; sad to see him go.  

58. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 10:42 sauron

*double post* - sorry  

Kittens!

57. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 10:41 sauron

nin wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:20:
I'm not a fan of Steve, but I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone. The fact that he's stepped aside makes me wonder if he got bad news...

The chances of beating that cancer are slim to none. They got rid of the primary tumor and the metastases in the liver, which required a full transplant. But the cancer will have spread, either locally (peritoneal cavity) or distantly (bone, lungs, brain).

With cancers like that, you don't survive them, you just slow them down. If you can lower the rate of growth down to where you get to a normal life expectancy and die of something else, you win. But they never go away.

Kittens!

56. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 10:30 Verno

Many of the sites users probably skew towards 30+ and most of us also want things to "just work" and yet we still get on just fine without iphones

I don't know where the misconception comes from that only Apple can make consumer friendly devices. There's a difference between consumer friendly and "anyone short of a barn animal can use it". Android devices can be very consumer friendly, where the iPhone trumps it is simply that there is a single iPhone platform experience versus the different Android vendors which change the UI wildly. Apple is all about the walled garden controlled user experience. If you choose to go that route then hey whatever its your money but Apple isn't the only game in town if your true concern is usability.

Let's face it, Steve Jobs gave Apple products a cachet and that's worth as much to people as functionality and usability are. Will his departure affect that? Who knows. Apple traditionally has functioned very well under his tight supervision so shareholders should at least be concerned.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

55. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 10:03 Theo

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 03:04:
Apple develops Fisher Price tech products for people with disposable incomes.

As a person who is into computer hardware and technology I've never paid them much attention to them. "Tech journalists" seem to lavish a disportionate amount of column space to a company that is better at aesthetic product design and doesn't impact anyone who is seriously into hardware, or a poweruser.

Not sure how to take this, let me put another spin on it.

Ive been in computing for 20 years now, working professionally. I am a "proper" techie. 10 years ago i was the sort of guy that spent time on my linux boxes at home, setting up dual boot etc so i could still game. In other words a poweruser.

Now i am approaching my 40's and i really cant be bothered as much as i used to. To say i am clown who dosent know what i am talking about would be wrong; i know more than your average joe, and more than most so called "powerusers" - that said i love my iphone.

i see what your saying, but for me as i have got older i have come to appreciate products that "just work" - despite the fact i really know what i am doing.

This is after all a phone, i really dont want to play with my phone, i want it to be feature rich, and for it to just work.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

54. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 09:52 space captain

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 03:04:
Apple develops Fisher Price tech products for people with disposable incomes.

As a person who is into computer hardware and technology I've never paid them much attention to them. "Tech journalists" seem to lavish a disportionate amount of column space to a company that is better at aesthetic product design and doesn't impact anyone who is seriously into hardware, or a poweruser.

im not a fan of apple products really, and especially not their design philosophy.. but OSX is Unix based and a hell of a lot less "Fisher Price" than Windows when it comes to raw code

Go forth, and kill!

53. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 09:09 Parallax Abstraction

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 01:58:
Look, the iPad, iPhone, Hell, any smartphone, aren't made for people like the majority here that tinker. It's not made for us. We're PC gamers. we like being able to mess with things. But the i-line? They are consumer items, not hacker/hobbyist tools, and as such, are developed with the appropriate UI complexity in mind. Like Toasters. Blu-ray players, xboxes, whatever. Made to be as intuitive as possible. That's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. They specialize in accessible technology, not the latest and most powerful. And it works. Both for their shareholders and their customers...there's no denying Apple is succeeding in the face of an abundantly shitty economy, and I'm totally ok with it being an American company with a huge campus in California succeeding, rather than some shoddy sweatshop making beige boxes in Malaysia.

Apple did copy/steal a lot of stuff in the early days but I agree with you that it's silly to say everything they're releasing now is just a copy of someone else's work. The only comment I wanted to address is your shoddy sweatshop one because that's definitely not something Apple is above. Their #1 manufacturing partner is Foxconn, a company with a long-reaching horrendous reputation for abusing and exploiting workers. They recently had a rash of suicides at the factory that makes the iPad because people were being forced to work 20 hour days with no overtime, being verbally and physically abused and like many Chinese factories, the majority of the little money they did make went into paying for the factory provided quarters which make slums here look like the Ritz Carlton. Their solution? Install nets so that people who attempted suicide wouldn't succeed. A lot of companies use Foxconn so Apple isn't alone on that front but Apple has the power to improve conditions for the people who build their stuff and frankly, doesn't care.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

52. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 08:17 Mr. Tact

I'm pretty sure I've never bought a single Apple product, ever.

That said, he certainly belongs in a list of best CEOs. It's pretty clear he kept Apple from falling off the cliff when he returned. Apple stock up 1353% since 1/1/2000 -- there are a lot of tech companies that can't say that.

He's also famous (infamous?) for dealing away stock options which would have made him billions.

Best wishes to him on his health. I hope he lives long and enjoys not being busy everyday running a large company.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

51. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 05:35 SectorEffector

"But I'm not going to sit here and let people throw drivel around about how Apple is a company that never innovated. They've done plenty of that. It just may not be your particular cup of tea.

^D^

well said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

50. Re: Steve Jobs Resigns Aug 25, 2011, 04:37 Tanto Edge

Bye Steve!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer