Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3

A post on the Electronic Arts UK Forums outlines DICE's policy on dedicated servers for Battlefield 3, where Mikael Kalms explains that unlike Battlefield 2 and like Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the software to run servers will not be released to the public, as game servers will be operated by Ranked Server Providers, even though the option of running a server in unranked mode will be included. This is may impact players in countries with smaller player bases, as they state that they do not plan on making local servers available everywhere: "We try to strike a balance where there are game servers available across the globe, while still keeping the number of RSPs at a level where we can offer reasonable support to each individual company. Since we prefer to work with larger hosting companies, and we focus on countries where we have a larger player base, there will not be game servers available in every country on the planet." There's also word that ranked severs will require PunkBuster, and that DICE will also attempt to make the game work properly with third-party anti-cheating organizations PBBans, GGC-Stream, and PunksBusted, though these are not officially supported. The post also explains the difference between ranked and unranked servers, and offers some details on the administrator interface. As for where servers will be located, they say: "The list of RSPs which will run BF3 game servers at launch is not ready yet. Once it is, we will publilalalala [sic?] widely." Thanks VG247.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 20:11 Agent.X7

MajorD wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 19:56:
AND THE HITS KEEP ON COMMIN'!!! And yet another reason to not purchase this title.

And the Sheeple that don't know any better will buy right into it....

Everyone that disagrees with this chap is a moron! Derpa derpa doo!

Attempting to insult others is always the finest way to get your fuzzy, not-really-stated, rather dull point across.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 20:09 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 09:13:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:44:
Everyone knew this already except for the guys building these lists of reasons not to buy apparently.

I'm not sure why you would think everyone knows this considering there is conflicting precedent and EA has either been vague or waffled back and forth over several issues surrounding BF3.

So you thought that they were going to release the server binaries? BF2 came out 6 years ago, since then DLC and games as a service have become king. They aren't going to jeopardize that by releasing servers that can be tinkered with to use custom/free content.

Apparently pointing out the obvious makes me a fanboy.

43. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 19:56 MajorD

AND THE HITS KEEP ON COMMIN'!!! And yet another reason to not purchase this title.

And the Sheeple that don't know any better will buy right into it....

42. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 18:17 Endo

And people wonder why I despise EA.  

41. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 09:34 necrosis

John Lovitz wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 04:44:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:46:
I never thought I'd say this, but Activision's offering seems more compelling right now (if you like this style game):

BF3:
--Always on DRM
--no dedicated servers
--locked at 30fps
--Can be taken away from you if you stop using origin for 2 years

CODMW3:
--Steam DRM
--Dedicated user run server option
--60 fps target
--you lose it only if Gabe chokes on a meal, and has no will.

o.O

^D^

BF3 is not locked at 30fps
no dedicated servers is not a big deal
I guess your lucky enough that every LAN party you go to has internet.

40. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 09:13 Verno

Everyone knew this already except for the guys building these lists of reasons not to buy apparently.

I'm not sure why you would think everyone knows this considering there is conflicting precedent and EA has either been vague or waffled back and forth over several issues surrounding BF3.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

39. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 09:10 Omni

A leak would be nice so we could have some fun. Properly no one at dice with balls enough to leak it.  

38. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 09:08 wrlwnd

Nice fanboy response.

Suits love guys like you. Well done.

37. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 07:06 Dades

bigspender wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 02:47:
since when did BF2 become the golden example of how games are done? I remember on its release the server browser didn't even work properly...

Since it had a very active player base for 6 years due to open servers and mods.

36. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 06:31 InBlack

Im sick of these modern warfare Teamshooters anyway. Bf3, MW3 same shit AFAIC.

/waiting for a proper Deathmatch game (iD please dont fuck up Doom4 like you did Doom3)

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 06:29 everyone

Anyone else get the feeling that BF3's marketing is being handled by Tripwire? It's doing RO2 a world of good.  

34. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 05:05 jdreyer

since when did BF2 become the golden example of how games are done? I remember on its release the server browser didn't even work properly...

True, but they worked hard to make it right. And out of the door it had all the PC centric features we expect: dedicated server client, robust server feature set, mod tools, Steam support (okay, not out of the door, but added), etc. All that is going by the wayside for BF3.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

33. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 05:01 jdreyer

I gotta agree with dragon, COD is looking better, and BF3 is looking worse. When you're playing 64 player online dedicated server is a must have.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

32. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 05:00 Tanto Edge

No dedicated servers is a big deal. It's a very big deal.
Furthermore, the inability for community servers in any game is a very big deal.
You fuck tards that actually argue against this have a special place in hell. Where you have the baddest pc, the hottest game, and no servers to play your multiplayer only game upon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

31. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 04:44 John Lovitz

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:46:
I never thought I'd say this, but Activision's offering seems more compelling right now (if you like this style game):

BF3:
--Always on DRM
--no dedicated servers
--locked at 30fps
--Can be taken away from you if you stop using origin for 2 years

CODMW3:
--Steam DRM
--Dedicated user run server option
--60 fps target
--you lose it only if Gabe chokes on a meal, and has no will.

o.O

^D^

BF3 is not locked at 30fps
no dedicated servers is not a big deal

30. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 03:51 yuastnav

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:10:
[...] Don't care what shit EA pulls with this. To the player it doesn't matter who hosts the server

Welcome my son.
Welcome to the machine.

29. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 02:47 bigspender

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 01:45:
Dades wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:03:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 19:24:
The comment was about the common knowledge that the dedicated servers would be available for rent only from EA authorized parties. For some reason the list makers thought that we were getting server binaries to run privately owned servers on despite not being that way in BC2. Continued use of PB should be expected, changing to something else would be unexpected.

What you say?!

Ok, no matter what the comment was about it is a pretty dumb decision by EA. BC2 and how things were done there doesn't matter to me either, part of the point of splitting the mainline franchise was that things would be done differently and they would have different platforms. Punkbuster is bad software, expected or otherwise.

This. DICE has said before that Bad Company was a separate franchise focused on consoles and that BF3 is supposed to be a legit successor to BF2. BF2 had open dedicated servers, so BF3 not having them is a major blow.

28. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 01:45 jacobvandy

Dades wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:03:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 19:24:
The comment was about the common knowledge that the dedicated servers would be available for rent only from EA authorized parties. For some reason the list makers thought that we were getting server binaries to run privately owned servers on despite not being that way in BC2. Continued use of PB should be expected, changing to something else would be unexpected.

What you say?!

Ok, no matter what the comment was about it is a pretty dumb decision by EA. BC2 and how things were done there doesn't matter to me either, part of the point of splitting the mainline franchise was that things would be done differently and they would have different platforms. Punkbuster is bad software, expected or otherwise.

This. DICE has said before that Bad Company was a separate franchise focused on consoles and that BF3 is supposed to be a legit successor to BF2. BF2 had open dedicated servers, so BF3 not having them is a major blow.

27. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 25, 2011, 00:41 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:10:
Don't care what shit EA pulls with this.

Which is why they pull an awful fucking lot of it...

Creston

26. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 24, 2011, 22:11 KilrathiAce

enough said, ea knows that if they allow home dedicated servers then they lose possible revenue that they can rake on people renting dedicated servers, and thats a big flag for ea. cause they care only for money and not for best possible options for game and user.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo