Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched

Steam News announces the release of a new automatic patch for Deus Ex: Human Revolution to address an issue that could cause the just-released action/RPG prequel to crash, while also increasing the number of saved game slots:

An issue was found that caused some users to be unable to start the game on specific machines. Specifically, the presence of older ATI/AMD drivers, also on machines with NVidia hardware, would cause the game to crash on startup. This patch is a hot-fix for that particular issue. On top of this, it also increases the number of save-slots from 20, like on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, to 99.

Square-Enix, Eidos Montreal and Nixxes are committed to supporting this title and will continue to monitor for any further issues and provide additional patches in the future if required.

We hope this will help you enjoy Deus Ex: Human Revolution!

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 27, 2011, 11:39 ^Drag0n^

Blue wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:58:
http://www.bluesnews.com/doomtips/#THE%20WALL%20RUN

THE WALL RUN
One of the buggiest of the Doom bugs. By strafe running along a wall from South to North (North is up on the map), you can achieve a speed best described as ridiculous. Wall running is allegedly 300% faster than strafe-running, which is 44% faster than running, which would be, um,...well, you get the idea. It's fast.

What a blast! I remember using that more than a few times at LAN parties. One of the few times using the BFG on the wall was a good idea

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 27, 2011, 06:45 Dev

Blue wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:58:
peteham wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:18:
Vulkan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 10:11:
I think Valve fixed it for HL, but it had a different movement related oddity: Hugging the walls by running forwards and towards the wall gave you extra speed.
That his was also present in Doom. With wallrunning, which, IIRC only worked on north- and eastbound walls, you could actually reach speeds high enough to outrun your own rockets.

THE WALL RUN
One of the buggiest of the Doom bugs. By strafe running along a wall from South to North (North is up on the map), you can achieve a speed best described as ridiculous. Wall running is allegedly 300% faster than strafe-running, which is 44% faster than running, which would be, um,...well, you get the idea. It's fast.

Very nice blue! I never even knew about wall running. Thanks for the link too, a lot of those tips still apply today in shooters.

49. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 25, 2011, 11:02 Belly Flop

Thanks nin, I'm afraid it will have to be a digital copy, so the only sustenance is of a fiber optic kind Can't wait to try this game though. It only gets released in Africa tomorrow. So enjoy the head-start all those that already have it...  

48. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 25, 2011, 10:41 nin

Well, in theory, if you get a boxed copy, you could eat the paper, as it's fiber.

(In all seriousness) Hope things look up for you soon!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 25, 2011, 10:38 Belly Flop

This IT guy has just been made redundant, but nin, after that heads-up comment I have to say, my bread money is going towards buying this game. Seriously. who needs food anyways...  

46. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 23:15 nin

So, two nights in, and I'm already seeing differences from the beta, when I took a different path. As one of the reviews said, this game practically demands several playthroughs.

Baring any surprises this fall, it's my pick for GOTY. I still can't believe they nailed it so well.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

45. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 22:50 ForgedReality

elefunk wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 02:02:
Once again, this is a bug caused by weird hardware combinations *AND* old drivers. There is only so much you can put in your test matrix until it explodes into a huge, ridiculous amount of work to test for every single corner case caused by stupid/lazy customers.

For a bug like this, it would have required them to test not only every hardware combination out there, but people changing between multiple pieces of hardware and carelessly leaving behind old drivers, combined with not upgrading other old drivers.

Are some of you seriously suggesting you want Eidos wasting their time testing such incredibly niche scenarios instead of testing other aspects that affect more than 0.01% of their userbase?

No, of course not. For issues like this, Eidoes did and should have waited to fix it until they actually saw people complain about it.

Can't be THAT niche if they were able to encounter it before release, and fix it on the day of release.

44. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 14:46 DG

Oh yeah, and I still find forward+strafe a hard habit to break. Sometimes I still catch myself doing it and sometimes I catch myself not doing it then remember I shouldn't be  

43. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 14:44 DG

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 22:28:
SWEET!! Zero-day patches! Good job publishers! Way to push your devs so hard they can't even fucking QA their unfinished products!
I know there's a bit of in there but based on the speed of this I'm comfortable saying this is something they found in the final QA before going gold.

Once you have a release candidate, if you make any changes you need a new release candidate and QA begins again. Even if you make the fix in a couple of days this can put release back significantly as you have to find an available slot to book in the QA team, distribution and everything.

There's always going to be a line where a certain levels of bugginess is going to be accepted for shipping. There's time between going gold and launch day for the dev to make and QA a patch.

42. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 11:58  Blue 

peteham wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:18:
I think Valve fixed it for HL, but it had a different movement related oddity: Hugging the walls by running forwards and towards the wall gave you extra speed.
That his was also present in Doom. With wallrunning, which, IIRC only worked on north- and eastbound walls, you could actually reach speeds high enough to outrun your own rockets.

THE WALL RUN

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 11:18 peteham

As for strafe-jumping, iD essentially made a feature of it with Quake 3. I don't remember if it was in Q2 or Q3 they initially fixed it completely, but in any case the community wanted to keep it. In Q3 default, you could still strafe-run and get around the maps quite a bit faster and more noisily than with regular running, but your maximum velocity was capped (at least without mods), whereas in Q1 your speed would keep increasing for as long as you could keep going.

40. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 10:26 Verno

I think it was fun too but he becomes an old curmudgeon about new games outside of his comfort zone. Thankfully it looks like the rest of the site shamed him into giving the game a proper review in the end.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

39. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 10:24 Beamer

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 09:09:
chu chu rocket

One of the most underrated multiplayer games of all-time!

Like most multiplayer games no one would ever play with me. I understand in this case - I'd beaten most of the game single player and they barely knew the controls - it wasn't exactly fair or fun for any of us.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 10:11 Vulkan

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 02:09:
coldcut wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 01:03:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 23:58:
Not sure to what degree but that artifact is present in many FPS. Unless I'm mistaken it is/was in Quake engine based games.
No, iD software has fixed this issue since Quake, but in their previous games, it was present (Doom 1+2, Wolfenstein). If you watch Doom speedruns, they always run diagonally which looks kinda funny

I wonder when they fixed it... I'm pretty certain this was an issue even in in HL.

37. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 10:11 Verno

Oh, after upgrading DRIVER-X on my machine I'm encountering probles = bug

My favorite is the people who proudly proclaim that they refuse to upgrade their drivers but run into unforeseen compatibility issues then have the nerve to bitch about it.

36. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 09:52 kanniballl

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 01:34:
Talutha wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 00:31:
Kitkoan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 00:00:
Dades wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 23:20:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 22:28:
SWEET!! Zero-day patches! Good job publishers! Way to push your devs so hard they can't even fucking QA their unfinished products!

It's possible to catch every single bug before release obviously Rolleyes

I remember the days before the internet. Games had to be as bug-free as possible since patching was almost impossible after the game was shipped. Now with the internet, buggy code is the normal for games since they can patch it up later (if ever...).

The games of today are also infinitely more complicated and running on many more hardware configurations then back in the day as well.

Yeah, but newer games also made with better tools that can do better error checking, and hardware issues shouldn't be as big an issue since we now have API's that weren't available back then. But these issues (including many hardware ones) still happen today, more so then they ever did. Same has been noticed in console games. Newer console games have so many patches, many zero-day and this never was an issue until companies were able to issues patches.

I still encountered bugs with off-the-shelf (non-pirated) games-of-old. Even my favorite game: Tie Fighter. Sometimes said games would crash spectacularly and I'd lose my place.

The more complex the software and environment, the more likely there's a going to be a bug.

There are better error checking tools out there now and all of that, but even they aren't perfect.

I'm a software developer, and you can never make anything bug free.

• Oh, this app isn't working on my non-standard work PC = bug.

• Oh, this JSP application isn't working well on my non-standard browser I installed on my work PC = bug.

• Oh, after upgrading DRIVER-X on my machine I'm encountering probles = bug

• Oh, I decided to upgrade my Oracle client without telling you and the application stopped working = bug

• Oh, I did something NO SANE PERSON would ever think of doing and it broke the process = bug

•  
    "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

35. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 09:09 Verno

Was anyone else watching GiantBombs quicklook? I give up on that site. Jeff is just an impatient moron and doesn't seem to like anything at all these days, he's practically turning into Yahtzee without the gimmick or humor. I couldn't believe how stupid he was being onscreen while he has the nerve to bitch about it. I hope someone else does the review because he doesn't seem to like anything except fighting games and chu chu rocket so it's like listening to a wrestling fan with a megaphone.  

34. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 08:10 JayDeath

Yeah, that was my problem. I dropped it to normal and it seems to have helped but my mouse is still off.  
    Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

33. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 08:03 jacobvandy

Dev wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 02:15:
    I fixed mouse issues with 1 of 2 things, setting screen ratio manually (instead of auto) and turning triple buffer on. Before that mouse was very laggy for me (felt like out of control smoothing or something)

Specifying the ratio messed up the HUD for me, but triple buffering seemed to do the trick. Or it's just a placebo effect... Either way, I think that helped, thanks. :p

32. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Aug 24, 2011, 08:03 Beamer

Quake may not have had strafe-running but it had strafe-jumping.

As did Quake 2, if I recall.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo