Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo

The Space Marine Website announces the Windows and Xbox 360 demos for Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine are both now available, and that the PlayStation 3 sample of Relic's sci-fi action/RPG will be released on Wednesday (thanks Gamer's Hell). The Windows demo is available through Steam, and here's word on what it offers:

The Space Marine demo features two very different areas of the game. The first pits the player against an Ork horde outside the gates of a munitions factory. Armed with six devastating weapons, including the iconic bolter and lethal chainsword, the player will get to experience Space Marine's seamless mix of melee and ranged combat first hand as they take on the rampaging invaders. The second area gives players a taste of the exhilarating Jump Pack sequences where the game’s hero—Captain Titus—takes to the skies to rain death from above.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 31, 2011, 09:33 Xirgu

looking good  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 26, 2011, 17:22 Dmitri_M

No helmet sort of makes those giant armoured shoulders pointless. But then small headed characters with giant shoulders is what Epic does well. I've only played a bit of GOW but this seems like an inhouse GOW mod.  

11. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 24, 2011, 21:53 Overon

Vulkan wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 10:57:
I read a great article by a developer not too long ago that delved into the whole "Heroes hate helmets" thing, though I can't seem to find it anymore... Anyway, the main reason why is good ol' fashioned individuality, to make the hero stand out among all the faceless goons.

Dead Space 2 is, so far, the best example of a game getting around this popular trope with the hero's neat collapsible helmets.

Speaking of 40k in particular I recall a bit in one of the fluff pieces describing the typical suit of powered armor and how the first thing that fails on them is usually the air filtration system, forcing the wearer to remove his helmet in order to continue breathing.

In the table top game, most of the metallic officer and commander unit models don't even come with a helmet and when they do it's usually a different design than what the basic units come with, though you can take the helmet from one of the fancier plastic units that come with separate parts and use it on the metallic one. From a gameplay standpoint, it's a good idea for heroes to go without helmets so that players can easily identify where their more important units are among the gaggle of basic units, though you can get around this by painting the hero's helmet a different color scheme.

Then there's the whole Space Wolves "We don't like helmets because we can track smells better without them" deal their scouts swear by.
The heroes of the space marines have more decorated armor, that makes them stand out quite a lot since their armor. Like so:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics13/img48bc928386cb4.jpg
Notice he even has a helmet on, and it's pretty damn distinct from the rank and file space marine. Problem solved.

10. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 24, 2011, 10:57 Vulkan

I read a great article by a developer not too long ago that delved into the whole "Heroes hate helmets" thing, though I can't seem to find it anymore... Anyway, the main reason why is good ol' fashioned individuality, to make the hero stand out among all the faceless goons.

Dead Space 2 is, so far, the best example of a game getting around this popular trope with the hero's neat collapsible helmets.

Speaking of 40k in particular I recall a bit in one of the fluff pieces describing the typical suit of powered armor and how the first thing that fails on them is usually the air filtration system, forcing the wearer to remove his helmet in order to continue breathing.

In the table top game, most of the metallic officer and commander unit models don't even come with a helmet and when they do it's usually a different design than what the basic units come with, though you can take the helmet from one of the fancier plastic units that come with separate parts and use it on the metallic one. From a gameplay standpoint, it's a good idea for heroes to go without helmets so that players can easily identify where their more important units are among the gaggle of basic units, though you can get around this by painting the hero's helmet a different color scheme.

Then there's the whole Space Wolves "We don't like helmets because we can track smells better without them" deal their scouts swear by.

9. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 23:25 Rossafur

The helmet thing pisses me off in... well, pretty much everything where they wear crazy futuristic super expensive armor and then don't wear helmets, meaning they could be killed by... a well-aimed bottle. And then especially in WH40k, when the Space Marine helmets look so damn cool anyway.  

8. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 23:13 Overon

Well it's gears of war without a cover system. It's got the same kind of 4 weapon selection as gears of war. Also when the game says you have to press enter, you have to press enter. You can't click on enter, even though the mouse pointer is right on the screen. Which shows me some consolitis. Of course you do have to give them props for having a 16:10 resolution and in game graphics settings and control remapping.

I really don't like the Relic take on the 40K universe. Chainswords don't start flashing like some kind of Japanese mecha anime series when they "power up" and when you enter rage mode, there is so much yellow it's hard to see anything at all. I really dislike the "powered up" effects of the weapons, it's not what 40K is universe is like, unless you are a psycher, and these Ultramarines are not psychers. At least the got the architecture pretty well from 40K but the arcade like action gameplay, is not 40k.

P.S. Put your fucking helmets on. Take them off when you have a conversation if you wish, but when you are fighting you put your fucking helmet back on. Now that would be cool. Kind of like putting on your boots and buckling your belt.

7. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 21:18 Alamar

Took me a bit to adjust... I noticed a melee weapon, so I charged into my death a few times... Got the hang of it, and it was much better, though maybe a bit less fun : )

And that jump pack demo, while short-lived, was a hell of a LOT of fun...

Edit: Meant to mention... Talk about stupid resolution controls... You have to set your ratio and then you can choose your resolution... Was about to pop out a calculator to find 1920x1200 (8:5), but the initial options are just odd... something by 768 didn't have a very low common denominator...

-Alamar

6. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 20:45 theyarecomingforyou

"This item is currently unavailable in your region"

Brilliant.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

5. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 20:40 Krovven

Blue wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 20:12:
There were ways to get early access:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/124549/

That explains Bet on Steam, still confused about the PSN demo.

Doesn't really matter. Just an oddity.

4. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 20:18 Asmo

Hrm, downloaded the demo on PC and it seems to lock up gameplay early on in both demos, sound doesn't work properly, but you can still esc to the menu and quit the mission/game...

Looks pretty good on 1920x (has support for my eyefinity 6068x1200 setup but the FOV is wonky) but I just can't get the think to play currently... =\

edit: Quit and reload fixed it, plays very well and looks awesome, with mouse smoothing off it doesn't feel console-y and combat is very easy and fun to get used to.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2011, 20:46.

3. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 20:12  Blue 

Krovven wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 19:12:
and that the PlayStation 3 sample of Relic's sci-fi action/RPG will be released on Wednesday

Odd, I downloaded the demo last week on PSN. Still haven't tried it, but the demo is already out.

Not to mention, I could have sworn I saw Bet playing this demo on Steam a couple days ago too.

There were ways to get early access:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/124549/

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 19:15 Rhett

It's a really cool demo. Sad that I can't play it on PC, as I imagine it would look sexy.

Still not going to get it at release, but I do look forward to picking it up when the price drops. Co-op should be a blast.

1. Re: Warhammer 40:000 Space Marine Demo Aug 23, 2011, 19:12 Krovven

and that the PlayStation 3 sample of Relic's sci-fi action/RPG will be released on Wednesday

Odd, I downloaded the demo last week on PSN. Still haven't tried it, but the demo is already out.

Not to mention, I could have sworn I saw Bet playing this demo on Steam a couple days ago too.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2011, 19:53.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo