Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

From Dust DRM to Change

There's a From Dust PC Official Statement on the Ubisoft Forums announcing a change to the god game's DRM after the recent dust up over it requiring online authentication every time it is launched. Here's word saying this requirement will be removed within a couple of weeks:

We recognize that one of our posts in the From Dust forum regarding the need for authentication in the game was not clear. We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. Our tech teams are working on a patch that should release in approximately two weeks that will eliminate the need for any online authentication. This development time is required as we are working to ensure that those who have already started the game, and whos progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally. Once the patch is ready, players who already have the game will automatically receive the update on their next login and subsequent game sessions will be 100% offline.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 19:14 nerick

C'mon Ubisoft, bring back the code wheel, you know you want to. Gold box this shit right up!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 15:16 killer_roach

necrosis wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 08:34:
The reviews are out. I don't think anyone cares at this point.

Seems like, from the PC reviews, it's a case of "wait for a patch or two"... the most negative reviews seem to cite bugs and the DRM rather than any problems with the gameplay per se - in fact, even many of the more negative reviews say the gameplay's pretty good.

I'd have a hard time staying away from it on reviews alone, but it's firmly in "wait for patches and a sale" territory.

41. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 11:39 Beelzebud

This is why you don't apologize to them when they're lying to your face.

You had every right to cover this, they deserved no apology.

40. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 11:13 MrBone

They should just say, "We are DRMing our stuff for 2 weeks"...instead of these lies about, "oh, we didn't think anyone would care". Such BS.  

39. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 10:52 Muscular Beaver

Shok wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 22:55:
Honestly, even if I had any interest in this game (which I don't), just the fact that it's published by UBI gave me reason to ignore it. I don't buy anything from that company any more because supporting their DRM gives it legitimacy leading other publishers to think it's OK to use something similar.

So you dont use Steam either?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

38. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 10:34 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 01:21:
You do realize that because of the pirates and cheaters honest gamers will no longer be able to save their games online. If they travel while playing or their computer crashes during a game then they will lose all their progress. What next?...if enough gamers say they can't afford graphics cards so game developers remove that requirement and only release text games?

You do realize that requiring an internet connection in order to play a single-player game is a significant hurdle for people who travel a lot?

Annnnddddd... there went his entire argument.

Creston

37. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 10:28 Asmo

Never mind that Assassin's Creed II is still fucking busted because of this online shit Ubi you pack of cunts...  

36. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 09:45 Prez

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 23:22:
Often, DRM like this is just to prevent zero-day or pre-launch pirated releases.

Ignoring the fact that it fails in almost every instance at this, why do Settlers 7 and Silent Hunter 5 STILL have it over a year after release?

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 09:09 Omni

So what we are suppose to forgive them and give them our money now ?

"Share or die"

34. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 08:34 necrosis

The reviews are out. I don't think anyone cares at this point.  

33. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 06:06 Jerusahat

Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 01:13:
If they travel while playing or their computer crashes during a game then they will lose all their progress.

From the makers of "Books" (the electricity-free Kindle device), comes this startling new invention - "USB memory sticks"!

You too can enjoy the benefits of cloud saving without needing a constant internet connection! A wonder of science!

32. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 06:03 InBlack

Good job people...you managed to de-evolve gaming.
those who have already started the game, and whos progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally
You do realize that because of the pirates and cheaters honest gamers will no longer be able to save their games online. If they travel while playing or their computer crashes during a game then they will lose all their progress. What next?...if enough gamers say they can't afford graphics cards so game developers remove that requirement and only release text games?

I would think twice about buying an Ubisoft game because they give in to pirates and cheaters...perhaps they are pirates and cheaters themselves and sypathize with their cohorts in crime.

I think the TF2 Heavy says it best, "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid."

Wow....just....well I have no words for you other than....Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 04:51 Paketep

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 20:53:
And don't you love the back-handed apology that implies its our fault for misinterpreting what they wrote, when it was them that provided factually incorrect information?

In my country we call that LIES.

30. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 04:40 Frode

You do realize that because of the pirates and cheaters honest gamers will no longer be able to save their games online. If they travel while playing or their computer crashes during a game then they will lose all their progress.
The developer could just as well have given the _option_ between a cloud save and local save. In fact, offering cloud save in exchange for verifying you have a legitimately bought copy would have been a sales incentive. Also, you can easily use Dropbox or something similar for online saving if really desperate (which is what I do for all games where I want the saves synced between computers).

Being able to play a single player game 100% offline is the most natural thing in the world. I'll never knowingly buy a single player game that requires me to go online every time I start it, or to stay online constantly while playing it.

29. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 04:12 Luke

after sales "maybe" goes up , they do a rollback new patch with drm
i just dont trust them anymore

28. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 03:29 coldcut

meanwhile, in a secret room...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/20/drm-research-continues-at-fubisot-hq/

27. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 01:21 Jerykk

You do realize that requiring an internet connection in order to play a single-player game is a significant hurdle for people who travel a lot?

26. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 01:13 Rockn-Roll

Good job people...you managed to de-evolve gaming.
those who have already started the game, and whos progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally

I would think twice about buying an Ubisoft game because they give in to pirates and cheaters...perhaps they are pirates and cheaters themselves and sypathize with their cohorts in crime.

I think the TF2 Heavy says it best, "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid."

Let's Rock!

25. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 01:10 killer_roach

I wonder if, in this case, it took the refunds they had to issue over misrepresenting the DRM in order to change their mind on it.

That's gotta hurt from an accounting perspective.

24. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 00:49 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 22:52:

"COME BACK BABY! I WON'T EVEN HIT YOU THIS TIME! I'VE CHANGED."

Hehehe.

Creston

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo