Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives

Razer announces their full page in today’s Wall Street Journal (Global Edition) which is "an open letter to Microsoft’s Xbox, Sony’s Playstation and Nintendo’s Wii consoles." In conjunction, they say they will offer a "major announcement on the 26th of August during PAX Prime 2011 at 6pm CEST in Seattle, WA." They have launched pcgamingisnotdead.com to read their open letter to you, and if you prefer, the letter is reproduced below:

We have all heard the rhetoric about the demise of PC Gaming—the stories that console gaming will take over all gaming and that PC gamers will be left with shoddy ports of console titles.

The rumors of our untimely demise have been greatly exaggerated. We are more than 300 million PC gamers worldwide and this legion is growing every day. Today there are more PC gamers than all console gamers combined and we have been silent in the face of the closed gaming systems that have been propagated.

We, the PC Gamers, have been here since the beginning and have seen the industry grow to surpass movies and music, and we look forward to an open world where console and PC gamers will stand side by side as gamers in arms.

We are here today to tell you, that on the 26th of August, we will seek to end the silence and bring a new age of openness and innovation to all gaming. Together we shall remind you - that PC Gaming is NOT dead.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 27, 2011, 06:53 Dev

That URL now goes to a page about their brand new gaming laptop. Thats what this was all about, a gaming laptop. Looks like they have the pad on the right, but I don't see any other info except just a pic of the laptop.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 12:44 Verno

Yeah, I'm just waiting to see some bizarre Razer motion peripheral announcement being tied to this.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

34. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 11:08 Elessar

I'm all for anything that bolsters PC gaming, but this just seems like a lame marketing ploy to rally PC gamers to spend money on their product. I'm not blaming them for marketing, but I do think they're being awfully sappy about it. If anything, this just perpetuates the "PC Gaming is dying" myth.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

33. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 10:15 Prez

I bought the Razer mouse with the 69 buttons (give or take) on it, not because I play MMO's, but because I'm tired of wishing the mice I use had more buttons. I ended up really liking this mouse and were it to break, I'd probably buy another. It was the first Razer product I ever bought and I'd say I'm a satisfied customer.

That said, while I admire the sentiment of their initiative here, I had to suppress a groan when I saw the name. Claiming loudly that something "IS NOT DEAD!" is usually a good way of convincing people that it is good and truly dead and the entity doing the exclaiming is simply in denial. I would have preferred "PC gaming is alive, well, and kicking ass" or something similar.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 10:10 Kevin Lowe

bigspender wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 05:59:
whats the bet that Razer is going to be realising a motion controller like the wii/ps3 move controller...

or is that bandwagon already full ?
They did. I have one. It's nice, but nothing special.

31. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 09:56 wtf_man

Razumen wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 23:33:
You're complaining about a mouse that's 5 years old? Man that's considered ancient in tech years-in fact you're lucky the thing works at all still.

It's practically in brand new condition. I only use that rig for gaming and there hasn't been too many games purchased over the last few years. Also it was doing this crap since day 1... but I figured it was a driver issue and would get corrected. I was wrong. Since it doesn't happen that often... I kept the mouse past the ability to RMA it. Also, there are tons of other people in their tech forums that had this problem with the Lachesis... which again, is why I figured it was a driver issue that would get corrected - not a defective model, which it is.

My Logitech G-11 is actually older and works perfectly. It too, is in practically new condition.

Bottom line... the next gaming input device for me will be a Logitech.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2011, 10:20.

30. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 09:36 MattyC

wtf_man wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 23:06:
I have a 9-button programmable Razer Lachesis mouse. I've had it for about 4-5 years.

Every once in a while, after I boot my gaming rig... for some reason the mouse isn't "detected" and I have to go to the back to the machine and pull it... then plug it back in. This has gone on with 2 different motherboards and OSes (Xp and 7), and several driver updates. It's definitely the Mouse.

As for it's performance and functionality (when it works)... it's "Meh.. OK"

That said... I'll probably never buy another Razer product again. My next programmable mouse will probably be a Logitech... like my G-11 Keyboard.

/shrug

You're complaining about a mouse that's 5 years old? Man that's considered ancient in tech years-in fact you're lucky the thing works at all still.

I've been using Razer mice for years and I've never regretted paying the slight premium for quality.

Not if you don't buy junk. I use a relatively new Logitech G500 on my desktop, but I am also using an original 4 button optical Microsoft Intellimouse on my laptop. Its from... I think 2002 or 2003; either way it is ancient. Still works just fine. It replaced my launch model MX510 which still worked but you had to keep the cord bent to the left which was likely a result of being rolled up that way for years and packed in my laptop bag.

No reason you have to trash mice or keyboards constantly.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2011, 09:46.

29. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 07:28 winnetou

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 23:39:
Sorry Razer. I'll never buy your garbage.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/logitech-unveils-wireless-trackball-m570-15-09-2010/

^ Best input device ever made.

Thank you, have a nice day.
Have to ask this since I've finally found a happy user: What benefit does a wireless version of a trackball offer?
Trackballs don't require movement around the desk, so a cable would not be hindering cursor movement. On the other hand, they require batteries. While the version you linked seems to include a power indicator, a cable version would remove the need for replacements.
Unfortunately, the Trackman Wheel seems to have gotten phased out, and I'm not really comfortable with the Trackman Marble.

28. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 05:59 bigspender

whats the bet that Razer is going to be realising a motion controller like the wii/ps3 move controller...

or is that bandwagon already full ?

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

27. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 03:53 InBlack

Razor sux, Logitech FTW!  

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 02:35 Agent.X7

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 01:39:
I've had my death adder for about 6 years now, its still going strong through all the abuse i've given it. I've gone through about 10 microsoft and logitech mice in a shorter time span. +1 for razor products

I had most of their mice up until a couple of years ago due to being a hardware/peripheral reviewer. I'd say their mice are comparable to anything out there. I've not seen anything remarkably better, or anything that compares that is a lot cheaper. This is not to say that Logitech and others don't have mice that are just as good, but rather to say that Razer isn't crap compared to them. Some people just like to tout their underground coolness by hating everything.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 01:39 dj LiTh

I've had my death adder for about 6 years now, its still going strong through all the abuse i've given it. I've gone through about 10 microsoft and logitech mice in a shorter time span. +1 for razor products  

24. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 01:33 El Pit

PC Gaming isn't dead. It just smells funny.

Oh, and writing letters to some consoles is a sign of somebody being in desperate need of years and years of therapy. Really.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

23. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 01:20 ^Drag0n^

I'm, admittedly a total Razer whore. I have both their laptop and desktop wireless mice, Tarantula keyboard, Megalodon headset, and the Razer/Belkin n52te. I've never found these components to be shoddy or cheap in quality (materials). The megalodon did suffer a bit due to the absolutely shitty inconsistency of a current spec for USB 2.0, which, when hooked up to ports with low output, would make the headset crash (usually on Asus boards). Buying an NEC usb3 board fixed the problem for most.

Ok, now that I've given my $0.02 on the negativity, I'm guessing that they found a partner for that ultraportable DS-sized PC with the OLED keyboard they demoed earlier this year. That would be great news for many reasons, and I'd most certainly want one ;-)

^D^

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2011, 01:39.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

22. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 00:49 Zyrxil

I've been using Razer mice for years and I've never regretted paying the slight premium for quality.
Ha, that's worth a chuckle. Razer is renowned for their shitty plastic material and inconsistent build quality. It's not 1999, you know. Everyone makes high-DPI mice these days.

21. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 00:45 Jerykk

I don't really see how this marketing campaign will end well. Unless they're bribing publishers to create PC-exclusives, consoles will remain the focus of the industry. Releasing an expensive new mouse or keyboard won't change that.  

20. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 00:12 Cutter

Overon wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 23:13:
I hope this isn't just a cynical cooption by Razer's marketing team of what PC gamers want to hear.

Well of course it is. Their whole business hinges on it so it's in their interest to do stuff like this. I don't blame them at all for it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 22, 2011, 23:39 ForgedReality

Sorry Razer. I'll never buy your garbage.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/logitech-unveils-wireless-trackball-m570-15-09-2010/

^ Best input device ever made.

Thank you, have a nice day.

18. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 22, 2011, 23:33 Razumen

wtf_man wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 23:06:
I have a 9-button programmable Razer Lachesis mouse. I've had it for about 4-5 years.

Every once in a while, after I boot my gaming rig... for some reason the mouse isn't "detected" and I have to go to the back to the machine and pull it... then plug it back in. This has gone on with 2 different motherboards and OSes (Xp and 7), and several driver updates. It's definitely the Mouse.

As for it's performance and functionality (when it works)... it's "Meh.. OK"

That said... I'll probably never buy another Razer product again. My next programmable mouse will probably be a Logitech... like my G-11 Keyboard.

/shrug

17. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 22, 2011, 23:24 Dades

I hope the WSJ ad is more tasteful than that website which doesn't do PC gamers any favors with its representation.  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo