Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Reboot Planned?

Computer and Video Games has a couple of rumors from the new issue of OXM. One of these suggests that after the completion of Aliens Colonial Marines, Gearbox Software will turn its attention to rebooting the Duke Nukem franchise, following a lukewarm critical reception for Duke Nukem Forever. They say this is the Duke Begins project first revealed a couple of years ago, which was later reported to be in development at Gearbox.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 19:12 Dev

I'd buy a duke 3d remake... if they didn't kill everything that made it fun like they did with duke forever. HAY GUYZ LETS TAKE OUT ALL SECRETS, LETS HAVE CRAP GRAPHICS, LETS HAVE CRAP GAMEPLAY, LETS MAKE DUKE A WIMP WHO HAS TO HIDE BEHIND COVER, LETS MAKE HIM MORE OF A WIMP SO HE ONLY HAS 2 WEAPONS.
Yeah that went well.

I'm hoping its just because they were saddled with the stuff from 3dr and thats out of the way now, but who knows.

I'd also buy more duke platformer games (think duke 1 & 2).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 16:39 Rockn-Roll

It doesn't need a reboot. It just needs to be released while the technology is decent. Duke Nukem Forever would have been a great game...perhaps we would have been amazed...if it had only been released in 1999 when it was supposed to. It would have been a great money wagon IP for 3DRealms. They could have released a game every 2 or 3 years on newer and better technology.

There isn't really any need for a story...we didn't care...a testosterone enriched voice marveling at the bouncing babes and squashing alien attackers is all we cared about. X-Files should have had an episode where a game producer is taken over by aliens and delays the release of a game which would have trained millions of boys to fight aliens and entice girls...allowing a mix of The Sims and Leisure Suit Larry to turn them into workaholic fags so the aliens could take over without anyone knowing.

Let's Rock!

24. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 16:15 Sempai

Have some fucking dignity and just let it die.

Jesus..

23. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 15:54 Cutter

No. Just no.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 15:14 Killswitch

Beady wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 12:42:
I wonder if they will reboot it by having duke able to carry all weapons, have dedicated servers, and have Duke be Duke?

And a map editor?

21. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 15:01 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 13:45:
They should give DNF buyers a 20% discount on the next game with a note that says, "Look, we're really sorry. George Broussard was fucking crazy. There was only so much we could do."

Creston

You, sir, have won the thread.

And it seemed as though they wanted to say something like that before the game's release, just couldn't.

20. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 15:01 Sphinx

Prez wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 13:42:

A reboot with a flavor like that in the Brady Bunch Movie, where the '70's sitcom family and its gentile themes are inserted into harsh modern day reality, could be gas. A self-absorbed asshole 90's-type hero in a 21st century reality where everyone is politically correct, environmentally conscious, and addicted to reality television could make for a hysterical premise.

Don't forget chest high walls and lots of quick time events!

-Sphinx

19. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 14:57 Sphinx

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 13:56:
Serious Sam was a giant hodge podge of random nonsense themes dumped together.

It was good at what it did, but it had no central character like Duke and no original vision.

Sure it did. It's central characters were that also reliable tandem of rockets and bullets, the Riggs and Mertog of video games with special guest star big friggin' cannon balls (Joe Pesci)! Those lovable characters being jammed up into alien ass in large quantities is fun for the whole family.

-Sphinx

18. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 13:56 Dmitri_M

Serious Sam was a giant hodge podge of random nonsense themes dumped together.

It was good at what it did, but it had no central character like Duke and no original vision.

17. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 13:45 Creston

They should give DNF buyers a 20% discount on the next game with a note that says, "Look, we're really sorry. George Broussard was fucking crazy. There was only so much we could do."

Creston

16. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 13:43 Verno

Can't really blame Gearbox, this is what they purchased the IP for in the first place.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

15. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 13:42 Prez

Gearbox: "Yeah, let's just forget the whole Duke Nukem Forever fiasco and pretend it never happened."

A reboot with a flavor like that in the Brady Bunch Movie, where the '70's sitcom family and its gentile themes are inserted into harsh modern day reality, could be gas. A self-absorbed asshole 90's-type hero in a 21st century reality where everyone is politically correct, environmentally conscious, and addicted to reality television could make for a hysterical premise.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 13:31 Wildone

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  

13. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 13:23 Kajetan

Sphinx wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 13:07:
He already had a reboot. It's called Serious Sam and it's way better than the original
QFT

12. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 13:07 Sphinx

He already had a reboot. It's called Serious Sam and it's way better than the original  
-Sphinx

11. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 13:06 kanniballl

saluk wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 12:35:
Well, reboot doesn't necessarily have to do with story. They could be changing the character, redesigning the gameplay etc. I don't think gearbox is the right team for this. Give it to croteam or something lol. Gearbox is too "safe" for duke.

Eh, whatever. I still haven't purchased Forever and might not until I see it in the bargain bin for dirt cheap... for nostalgia's sake.

If it's gameplay and such, I wouldn't call that a reboot as much as just another version... perhaps like how the recent Superman flick was supposed to ignore Supermans 3 and 4 according to the writers/directors/etc... Duke Nukem Returns could ignore Forever.

Then again, I'd guess they'd want some sort of word to say "yeh ignore the last one... this is really Duke Nukem... we promise."

I know, but I imagine you'd still want a bad-a$$ Duke... and it's not like he was drenched in back-story. Until Forever, he was a generic tough guy and that was kind of his charm. They didn't "try" to make him anything more interesting than that and the game was mindless fun.

Making him an Iraqi war vet working as a bouncer and using his military wits to fight aliens wouldn't be Duke.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2011, 13:13.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 12:51 sauron

Jerykk wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 12:25:
So a reboot for Duke would be what? Duke is a bouncer and aliens invade... so he fights them? IE, no world-reknowned hero status yet.

Pretty much.

Alternatively, he was a sensitive 120lb philosopher, artiste and poet who was exposed to horrific scenes of alien brutality, carnage, bloodshed and daytime soapoperas. And a bizarre and enormous transplant of a rather personal nature...

One bad haircut and several hundered kilos of anabolics later, the legend begins!

<<OK, this is now officially the Duke backstory thread. Ideas please. ^^>>

Kittens!

9. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 12:42 Beady

I wonder if they will reboot it by having duke able to carry all weapons, have dedicated servers, and have Duke be Duke?  

8. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 12:35 saluk

Well, reboot doesn't necessarily have to do with story. They could be changing the character, redesigning the gameplay etc. I don't think gearbox is the right team for this. Give it to croteam or something lol. Gearbox is too "safe" for duke.  

7. Re: Duke Reboot Planned? Aug 22, 2011, 12:34 ^Drag0n^

Honestly? After playing the game it was apparent that Duke needs a Reboot in the ass.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo