Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed?

This tweet states that Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale developer Bedlam Games has shut down, saying: "Bedlam Games--the studio formed by ex-R* Toronto blokes after The Warriors--laid off most of its staff and effectively shuttered last month." There is more on this on Joystiq, where they say that they have also heard the same thing from "an anonymous source close to the developer," and also note that this Twitter feed was where labor strife at Team Bondi was first revealed. According to Joystiq's source, "90 percent of Bedlam employees are officially on 'temporary layoffs,' and have received no severance pay." Thanks nin.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 23, 2011, 09:07 Xirgu

umm.. every GM worth his salt changed a *lot* of the rules in the rpgs. I dont think I ever played vanilla 1st, 2nd or indeed 3rd edition, there were always things that needed or at least benefitted heavily from houserules.
Pc gaming was never that compatible with the system, but at least they could do the combats decently, and were more strategy than rpgs.
Wizards werent out to ruin D&d they just wanted to make $$$ which calls for a fast release schedule.. but thats offtopic.
in any case any developer of D&D games will be missed, there arent enough of them around..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 23, 2011, 07:43 Armengar

I remember when 3 came out: "what do you mean everyone has the same XP table? Wont rogues be underpowered now? WHAT! PALADIN CAN CAST BEFORE LEVEL 9???? NEAT!"

etc.etc

Loved 2, 3 and then got wife and kids. Not sure what happened next.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

10. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 18:02 Skoll

Either way, I've always though D&D games didn't translate well for PC, which is ironic, being a roll playing game...

So true. The rules are just incompatible with the pick up and play attitude of the PC gaming masses. Making an irreversible choice in a pen and paper settings is one thing. If it sucks you can always work with the DM to change it, create a new character, or have the campaign tailored to fit your abilities.

On the PC, nobody wants to have to spend hours planning out their feats for all 20 levels just to make sure they won't be gimped later. They want to pick whatever skill looks fun and run with it. If it sucks, they want to replace it with something else.

9. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 16:44 Alamar

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 16:16:
This is why WotC should have final approval on releases. This sort of garbage only does them harm. Anyway Atari is just about done - thankfully - seeing as the license has now gone back to Hasbro. I hope they're a little more selective in future.

Isn't WotC the ones that totally fucked up the rule sets?

That's one of those things where it depends on what age the person is you ask : ) Much like music genre's, gaming (as can be seen here about all the fogey's bitching about how they want old crappy games back : ), etc...

I 'grew up' with 2nd, but I thought 3rd added some good aspects... Either way, I've always though D&D games didn't translate well for PC, which is ironic, being a roll playing game...

-Alamar

8. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 16:16 nin

This is why WotC should have final approval on releases. This sort of garbage only does them harm. Anyway Atari is just about done - thankfully - seeing as the license has now gone back to Hasbro. I hope they're a little more selective in future.

Isn't WotC the ones that totally fucked up the rule sets?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 16:03 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 13:48 nin

From what I played of the demo, it was ok, but not great. Textures looked like caca. Gameplay felt pretty standard hack and slash.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 13:24 Darks

Daggerdale could have been a good game, but I think Atari didnít allow them enough time to complete the game. For the most part I was able to finish the game Coop with a few friends. it was fun. But the bugs do make it harder to complete the game. I guess there goes the long awaited and promised patch we all were waiting on. Figures!!  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 13:17 DrEvil

It would have be an acceptable game in the early 1990's maybe, but was unforgivable in light of the lessons the daggerdale game designer should have learned from others.

No surprise here.

3. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 12:56 avianflu

the reviews for Daggerdale were almost unanimously withering.  

2. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 12:31 Shagwood

/agree  

1. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Daggerdale Developer Closed? Aug 22, 2011, 12:05 Dirwulf

So you made two shitty games, The Warriors, and Daggerdale, and expect to stay employed?

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo