Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2011, 00:19 Evil Timmy

Also, how useless is it to run the game at 1680x1050, especially when that'll result in framerates well over what any consumer-grade display will be able to output? They're benchmarks the old-school way: numbers that are useless except for the online equivalent of comparing sizes at the gym. That's why [H]ardOCP (BTW, thanks for the review link, Calwen) is always my choice for hardware reviews, due to their benchmarking methodology. What matters is what settings you can run on various hardware configs, not "This card gets 45FPS, whereas the other card gets 48FPS!" The former you'll notice most if not all of the time, the latter you'd be hard pressed to see without an FPS counter. Yet, the [H] is still the only place I know of using that far more reasonable performance metric.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 19:39 CJ_Parker

I guess we're all used to seeing all sorts of really stupid shit on the Internetz but congratz on a job exceptionally well done to the retard who wrote that piece of shit DXHR benchmark "article".
Let me get this straight... the dude got a warez version of DXHR (note the quotes around "dirty hands" which seems like a clear hint that he is not playing a legit version), then he goes on to seriously complain about "choppy graphics" and then he's even got the balls of steel to provide screens as "proof" that are showing that the "choppy" game is running at a min fps of 90+ and generally well above 100 on average. On the highest settings at that. DirectX 11 and all. C'mon. Seriously. Que el fucko, hombre?!?

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 18:49 Creston

Quboid wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 14:43:
Did HL1 even use the Source engine, wasn't that developed for HL2?

No, it used the original Quake engine. (heavily modified but still.)

That benchmark dude is just trolling for hits by being a moron.

Creston

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 17:56 Calwen

I'm not even going to dignify that benchmark article with a comment. Other than the comment that I'm not going to dignify it.

Anywho, HardOCP just benchmarked an advance copy of the game with a few single GPUs. Looking forward to midnight. Enjoy!

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 14:58 eRe4s3r

Heh i actually had to look this up.. Hl1 uses a modded quake engine, not the source engine. But yeah.. if he means it looks worse than Hl2 then hes probably blind. The HL2 source engine looks pretty dang ugly to my eyes, and i am not usually one who cares for looks. I mean hot-damn, half of the hL2 levels consist of boxes and cubes and assorted geometry with box and cube cut-outs

i mean just look at it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxN8sCIOOE

Thats just plain ugly (compared to DX HR i mean)

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2011, 15:04.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 14:43 Quboid

I don't play any game for graphics, but I still like my games to look good. However, that benchmarker is so awful, nothing he says is worth any consideration. Games from 1993? The engine won't have a single line of 1993 code remaining in it. Did HL1 even use the Source engine, wasn't that developed for HL2? Is he really trying to say DX:HR looks as good (i.e. as dated) as Half-Life anyway? WTF?

I just reinstalled DX1 - it asked me if I wanted to copy stuff off the CD. Ha, that takes me back!

- Quboid

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 14:35 Jay

E-450 sounds pretty sweet. It's edging closer to gaming-capable netbooks. If you can stand to play modern games at lowest possible settings, that is.  

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 14:17 eRe4s3r

particularly this one is a golden one

In my eyes Crystal Engine looks similar to the Source Engine used in Half Life 1 but not as sharp.

Who plays DX for graphics? Its a story driven action conspiracy dialog rpg kind of shooter thing. Even the press build looked stunning and that wasn't even optimized for anything. When i first stepped out of the office i was blown away by ho realistic the office complex was built, notes, little things you'd find in an office, very good light and extremely cool lobby.. seriously what kinda crack people smoke when they say DX HR looks bad? Its one of the most stylistic coherent games made this century IMO

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 13:44 DG

benchmark *proceeds to show charts using ONE hardware configuration and instead focus on near-identical operating systems*
Sign of a skilled benchmarker that.
mostly because of itís choppy graphics [...] This engine doesnít need a lot of power to perform well
wat?
In my eyes Crystal Engine looks similar to the Source Engine used in Half Life 1 but not as sharp.
Should have gone to Specsavers?
Iím not very impressed by the game, mostly because of itís choppy graphics and Iím afraid Human Revolution will not bring any new fans to the Deus Ex series. I think Human Revolution is designed for fans and not for new players.
Opinion instantly irrelevant.
Iíll show you some DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 screenshots later on [...] * cue DX11 to DX9 comparison shots that do not appear to have any attempt made to identify potential DX10/11 features and don't actually compare the same parts of the images so can't really be compared*
Further signs of a skilled benchmarker.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 13:10 eRe4s3r

better grab it on GMG  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 12:42 McSterls

bit-tech.uk has their review of the game up before it's release, they give it a 90% - still time to grab the pre-release steam price too.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2011, 11:49 nin

Not clear if it's the release version.

Or why they didn't use more than one video card. At any rate, it doesn't look very demanding.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo