Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Carmack on RAGE

Carmack on Rage on Gamasutra is an interview with id Software technical director John Carmack, discussing technical details about RAGE, id's upcoming first-person shooter. Topics include MegaTexture, framerates (and how discernable the differences are being 30, 60, and 120 FPS), engine licensing, developing for multiple platforms, integrated graphics (he says they "expect Rage to be able to run 30 frames per second on Sandy Bridge cards), and more.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 18:30 killer_roach

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 12:50:
But, being fair to id, Valves engine is a (heavily modified) engine based Q2-era IdTech core (though there is not much left of that codebase now, as id relinquised any IP claims on Valve-used source (sic.) a long time ago).

Valve's underlying engine tech was actually a heavily modified version of Quake 1's tech, although it barely even tangentially resembles that engine anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 14:08 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 19:58:
Looking back now, we have PCs that are an order of magnitude more powerful, and if our workflow is instead focused on explicitly on just... you build and develop on the PC, and you decimate things into a target for the consoles.

WOW WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

No shit. For such an incredibly smart guy, it's beyond crazy that he didn't realize this five years ago.

Then again, he admits that Rage took much longer than they expected, so that probably factors into it.

Interesting how he lays out the limitations of Tech 5, and basically says it's worthless as a large open world engine. Sigh.

Creston

33. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 12:50 ^Drag0n^

Theo wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 10:46:
how many of the games valve released since HL2 have been there own internally developed IP?

Being fair to this one, I believe TF2, Portal, Portal2, DOD, L4d, and L4D 2 all count as Valve studio titles.

But, being fair to id, Valves engine is a (heavily modified) engine based Q2-era IdTech core (though there is not much left of that codebase now, as id relinquised any IP claims on Valve-used source (sic.) a long time ago).

id hasn't exactly been slouching either; they've released IP as follows: Quake 4, ET: Quake Wars, QuakeLive, RtCW, Wolfenstein, and several mobile-based IP.

I think JohnC said it best in his interview; people using their tech take resources, and even though most of the above id titles were made by 3rd party developers, when you look through the development credits, you see a lot of id personnel listed, lending credence to John's frustration that Rage really didn't get going until late, as a result of working with other studios working with their tech.

I guess my point is, just because the game is stamped with "Splash Damage" or "Raven," don't think for a second that id isn't knee deep in those projects, as they use their engines and IP.

If memory serves, I think it was announced recently that id just passed 100 employees, which sounds like a lot, but is really quite small or a company managing 3 IP projects and engine licensing.

That issue aside, I found much of what he said about the work on the mobile platform to be very interesting; specifically how he's tried to apply file system optimizations from those projects to their PC version.

Random ramblings, I know. But I do love it when we get an opportunity to hear what and how john thinks about their development process...it's always educational.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

32. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 11:42 shponglefan

axe1970 wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 23:47:
Why all this Hate?

Haters gonna hate

31. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 10:46 Theo

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 22:54:
Bhruic wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 21:43:
LOL this post can't be for real. At least Carmack actually ships product, which is more than I can say for Valve, how long did TF2 take? HL2? Episode 3? yeah whatever.

Um, when's the last time id released a game? How long until the time before that? Unless you count the iPhone releases, their last "game" was Quake Live, which was just a browser based Q3A. Their last actual game was Doom 3, which came out in 2004.

Valve has released at least a game a year for the past 4 years. They are definitely doing better on that front than id is.

I meant in the sense that they don't take 10 years a project, while making shit tons of money off of selling other people's games on Steam. Bad analogy I suppose but still. Fuck Gabe and his fat cheeseburger loving ass.

how many of the games valve released since HL2 have been there own internally developed IP?

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

30. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 10:44 MajorD

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 10:34:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 19:39:
When ever this guys [VG]Reagle Beagle blabs on about how much he knows about graphics pretty much anything, we all roll our eyes.

Shut the HELL UP JOHN [VG]Reagle Beagle. Learn from Gabe the other posters here rather than keep running your mouth. BTW Rage your post sucks ass; if we wanted Borderlands 2 to be exposed to nonsensical drivel like that we would have bought it from 2K signed into xBox Live...

FIFY.

^D^

Classic! Nicely done ^D^

29. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 10:38 xXBatmanXx

wtf_man wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 09:29:
Capitan wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 07:34:
Hope they go for a proper Wolfenstein after that. Last one from Raven was a joke and shulden't even have been named Wolfenstein at all....

I must be crazy or something. Everyone hated Return to Castle Wolfenstein... I loved it.

Everyone hated Wolfenstein 2009... I didn't buy it because everyone hated it... I finally broke down a couple of weeks ago and bought in Steam for $30 (Was targeting $20... but said fuck it)... And I loved it. I'm playing it through a second time before Deus Ex unlocks.

I can live with the re-spawning troops in the town... the main plot was good, IMO. It just needed a ton more side missions. I was pissed about the No AA consolitus crap... but then "injectFXAA came out". So, bottom line, story-wise... I really enjoyed it.

Is it worth a full $50-$60? No, But I don't feel ripped off at $30.

/shrug

I thought it was a very good game as well. I paid more than you did, and I felt like I got my money worth.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 10:34 ^Drag0n^

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 19:39:
When ever this guys [VG]Reagle Beagle blabs on about how much he knows about graphics pretty much anything, we all roll our eyes.

Shut the HELL UP JOHN [VG]Reagle Beagle. Learn from Gabe the other posters here rather than keep running your mouth. BTW Rage your post sucks ass; if we wanted Borderlands 2 to be exposed to nonsensical drivel like that we would have bought it from 2K signed into xBox Live...

FIFY.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

27. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 09:51 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 21:59:
It's still arguable, because in the Doom 4 project, we decided the multiplayer is 60 frames per second, but the single player is 30 frames per second, so you can have twice as many demons coming at you.

I hope he's talking about consoles. If Doom 4 SP is capped at 30 FPS on PC, a lot of people are going to be pissed.

Why would I be pissed? Twice as many demons is good, four times as many would be even better.

I think Carmack's definition of FPS is different from yours or mine, he isnt talking about a hard-cap per se, its a target.

They want the game to run smoothly at a 30 FPS on a target platform. 30 FPS allows them to put more stuff on the screen, that doesnt mean that a hot-rod UBER PC wouldnt be able to pull off more FPS.

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 09:29 wtf_man

Capitan wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 07:34:
Hope they go for a proper Wolfenstein after that. Last one from Raven was a joke and shulden't even have been named Wolfenstein at all....

I must be crazy or something. Everyone hated Return to Castle Wolfenstein... I loved it.

Everyone hated Wolfenstein 2009... I didn't buy it because everyone hated it... I finally broke down a couple of weeks ago and bought in Steam for $30 (Was targeting $20... but said fuck it)... And I loved it. I'm playing it through a second time before Deus Ex unlocks.

I can live with the re-spawning troops in the town... the main plot was good, IMO. It just needed a ton more side missions. I was pissed about the No AA consolitus crap... but then "injectFXAA came out". So, bottom line, story-wise... I really enjoyed it.

Is it worth a full $50-$60? No, But I don't feel ripped off at $30.

/shrug

25. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 07:34 Capitan

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 00:18:
RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 23:06:
Maybe they can get back to Quake once this Rage stuff is done. If anyone will still care about Quake by then.

Well Doom 4 is their next announced project... I would guess Quake is a likely game for after that.

24. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 06:47 Dmitri_M

scratz wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 21:27:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 21:01:
LOL this post can't be for real.
Believe it or not, that cat has been trolling Blues for nearly a decade. Yes, he's that sad.

lol yeah I just sneaked a peek at his posting history. what a loser, pretty sad. :\

23. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 06:00 Fibrocyte

Zefalephelah wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 03:24:
WTF!!!!???!?!??!!??!?!!!!

We're still waiting for Rage??????? This is like Duke Nukem Fornever.

Quit playing with your little toy rockets and finish the damned game!!!!

I get it... you're being funny because you're raging about Rage.

22. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 05:54 finga

Jeez, Blues News Comment Monsters is ANGRY tonight.  

21. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 03:24 Zefalephelah

WTF!!!!???!?!??!!??!?!!!!

We're still waiting for Rage??????? This is like Duke Nukem Fornever.

Quit playing with your little toy rockets and finish the damned game!!!!

20. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 02:25 saluk

I'm probably going to pick up rage just to get a whiff of the tech. He made some interesting decisions and sacrifices, it doesn't live up in some ways, but excels in others. I'm always interested in id's experiments, both when they work out, and when they don't. I do hope the game plays well - I don't have too much doubt on that front, but they really have NOT sold the game well at all to the public. I've yet to play an id game I didn't like though. (Doom 3 had flaws and was a bit disapointing, but was still fun. USE US)  

19. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 02:09 Dr. D. Schreber

axe1970 wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 23:47:
Why all this Hate? Where would we be if it wasn't for these guy's. why does it matter how long or how many games their companies produce.

I think some of us need some fresh air!

Regards

Funny how everyone is quick to jump on developers moving to consoles with "Where would they be if it wasn't for us? They should remember their roots!" but id making a new IP instead of rehashing their usual two for the umpteenth time is bad.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

18. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 00:18 StingingVelvet

RaZ0r! wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 23:06:
Maybe they can get back to Quake once this Rage stuff is done. If anyone will still care about Quake by then.

Well Doom 4 is their next announced project... I would guess Quake is a likely game for after that.

17. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 21, 2011, 23:47 axe1970

Why all this Hate? Where would we be if it wasn't for these guy's. why does it matter how long or how many games their companies produce.

I think some of us need some fresh air!

Regards

I don't read the fine print.

16. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 21, 2011, 23:06 RaZ0r!

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo