Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cancelled "Oblivion-style" Might and Magic Game

Also from supererogatory (superannuation) is word from David Kristofer Fried's LinkedIn profile about a cancelled Heroes of Might and Magic RTS that became an RPG. His résumé has this note: "Game design and several story passes for unannounced Heroes of Might and Magic game, which began as an RTS and was changed to an Oblivion style RPG before being cancelled."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. removed Aug 21, 2011, 21:32 her

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 21, 2011, 22:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Cancelled Aug 21, 2011, 17:34 Creston

which began as an RTS and was changed to an Oblivion style RPG before being cancelled."

Sounds like we really missed out... Rolleyes

Creston

20. Re: Cancelled Aug 21, 2011, 14:46 pacefalm

Maybe this group will finish their project and we will see a M&M 10.

http://www.freewebs.com/mm10/

The last news update is 2009 though and the forum link is dead, that does not give me a ton of hope.

19. Re: Cancelled Aug 21, 2011, 11:31 Silicon Avatar

The first M&M games came out in the mid 80s.

It did let you have a party. None of the party members really had any character though. Come to think of it, your own PC didn't really have any character either. It was a straight up grind for levels for the most part.

But it was so satisfying. X)

18. removed Aug 20, 2011, 21:29 hyul

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 21, 2011, 00:17.

17. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 20:51 Alamar

Might & Magic, as an RPG... I'm sure I never heard of such a thing...

-Alamar

16. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 20:21 LittleMe

Don't the original M&M (first person) games go back to the early 90's? I played one in about 1992. Got lots of praise but I found it boring compared to Dungeon Master or the Ultimas.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

15. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 19:04 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 18:59:
M&M's wer not like Oblivion is was a group based game in FP. Like Wizardy 8.

Correct. Party based instead of single avatar, in first person. And they were a bit more linear, from what I remember.

14. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 18:59 HorrorScope

M&M's wer not like Oblivion is was a group based game in FP. Like Wizardy 8.  

13. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 16:50 Silicon Avatar

I miss M&M too. Getting the fly spell and mowing down tons of monsters was way more fun than it should have been. Being able to combine two games to make World of Xeen was awesome. Fallout 3 / New Vegas should have been that way.

12. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 16:22 Fion

How I would love another Might & Magic game. And yea, it wouldn't be 'oblivion style' because Oblivion got it's style from Might & Magic. If only Ubi would give the rights to a good Indie game RPG developer. I really wouldn't even mind if the graphics were way out of date, I'm sure it'd still be fun as hell.  

11. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 16:08 Sepharo

All I would do is travel from inn to inn playing cards (Arcomage) and that basically drove the whole game for me.

Hey check it out, now I'm in the sky playing Arcomage with winged humanoids!

Also happens to be the same way I played FF8.

10. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 15:31 WaltC

Yes, for years, long before "Heroes of..." was affixed as a prefix, "Might and Magic" produced several really fun (I thought) RPG's. Anyone remember M&M IX? I was very sad when they went to the RTS format--never was the same, or even close to it.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

9. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 14:56 dheer

You know what would be great? A new Dark Messiah style M&M game.  

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

8. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 14:45 PHJF

Crusaders of Might and Magic?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 14:40 Bhruic

Like, say, I dunno... Just plain M&M? It's not like they didn't make 8 of them (depending how you count).  

6. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 14:25 Cutter

No dark messiah was an FPS set in that universe. A HOMM rpg would have been fun.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 13:53 Kajetan

KillingCloud wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 13:37:
Wasn't an "Oblivion-style Might and Magic game" called Dark Messiah?
Yes, the game was called "Dark Messiah", but there was nothing oblivion-style about it.

4. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 13:45 Acleacius

Right, as much as I would love to have another great game, at this point there isn't much chance it would come from ubi. Especially after the way they handled Dark Messiah and treated Arkane, not to mention of course the stupid aodrm.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: Cancelled Aug 20, 2011, 13:40 wtf_man

Since Ubisoft seems to own the Might and Magic license.... glad it got cancelled.

God forbid that Ubisoft actually puts out a game that I'd want... and have that shitty DRM attached to it.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo