Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced

GameInformer reports on plans to limit the number of copies of Star Wars: The Old Republic sold upon the game's launch: "According to the representative speaking at this demo, EA and BioWare made the choice to limit the number of copies of the game available for purchase in order to assure a smooth launch. It's fairly common for popular MMOs to suffer from long wait times and server crashes for the first few months after launch because of the stress put on servers. EA says it would rather make sure the experience is quality for the first gamers to get in than to sell as many copies as possible but ensure a subpar experience for everyone." How many copies they will sell is not specified. On a related note, the Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has a new trailer from BioWare's upcoming MMORPG introducing the sport of Huttball. Here's word on this in-game sport: "A new event has captured the hearts and minds of the citizens on the Smuggler’s Moon of Nar Shaddaa. Known as “Huttball,” two teams clash for the amusement of the masses and to win favor with the famed Giradda the Hutt in this new video that highlights just one of the Player-vs-Player (PvP) Warzones in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!"

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

81. removed Aug 20, 2011, 21:32 hyul

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 21, 2011, 00:16.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 20, 2011, 11:42 Gojo

PropheT wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 11:35:
The game is 59.99, it's just set up the way your invoice shows to keep it from charging you more for the preorder.

Egad! You're correct sir. I feel stupid now.

=-Gojo-=

79. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 20, 2011, 11:35 PropheT

Gojo wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 10:26:
By the way, did anyone else notice that EA charged an ADDITIONAL $5.00 to pre-order???

The game is 59.99, it's just set up the way your invoice shows to keep it from charging you more for the preorder.

78. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 20, 2011, 11:23 Mead

Darks wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 15:30:
OldScho0l wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 15:11:
There's no way in hell that I'm going anywhere near this PoS.

Well, good luck to you then, I’m actually on the beta, and it’s Far from anything related to a POS as you deem it, I just love how someone like YOU can talk about a game that you haven’t even played one min of. “Another Armchair critic who thinks he knows it all” The game is actually been one of the best MMOs I’ve had the pleasure of testing and playing through. So enjoy whatever boring life you have.
Glad you're having a good time with it, but unless they've come up with something ground-shatteringly NEW and UNIQUE, it's just going to fade into the MMO background noise with everything else. Otherwise it's just the same-old with a new skin.

77. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 20, 2011, 10:26 Gojo

Flatline wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 19:29:
I always wanted to see a Shadowrun MMO where player-created content is king. I want to see newsflash startup newspapers on the matrix, people creating corporations and designing shadowruns to rig the stock exchange and make a fortune. I want to see custom-built matrix fortress systems that players can design to protect their corporate data, and even potentially stuff like in-character player-created media.

Of course you'd have stock content too, but the idea that you could log onto Shadowland and see a list of player-initiated shadowruns on targets in the game world, or hire professional fixers/Mr Johnsons to interface with the runners for a fee would be interesting to me.

Give the tools to the players to generate content and you'll have people who want to do nothing *but* generate content.

Oh hells yeah! I've been wanting a Shadowrun MMO for years. I really like your ideas on it too Flatline. Brilliant.

By the way, did anyone else notice that EA charged an ADDITIONAL $5.00 to pre-order???

They're very sneaky about it, I didn't notice it until after I confirmed my purchase.
Here's the confirmation email I received:

Star Wars: The Old Republic Standard Edition $54.99
Pre-Order $5.00
Subtotal: $59.99
Shipping: $0.00

Estimated Tax: $0.00
Your Total: $59.99

Sneaky bastages!

=-Gojo-=

76. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales; Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 20, 2011, 04:00 Acleacius

I always figured I would play this, since it probably has a pretty good story, though I never felt rushed to play it.

Especially since it's an ea published title and they have reprehensible history for customer satisfaction. Aamof, iir my history correctly ea doesn't have that great of record with employee satisfaction either. I seem to recall the word slavery invoked when talking about ea and employees. This is just another typical pr stunt that would probably work on a console title. So some brilliant upstart pr asshat decided to try it on a PC title.

Because you know, ea can't afford to reserve/buy 5 or 10 extra severs or have a week of open beta testing. poor poor ea, they are so helpless.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

75. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales; Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 20, 2011, 01:41 Dades

If you think that they are not going to sell as many copies as possible then I have a bridge in Nigeria to sell you. It is a simple PR tactic, they will not be limiting anyone wanting to hand them money.  

74. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 20, 2011, 00:53 Flatline

Dev wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 21:20:
Seems like this was discussed earlier.

EA wants to save a few grand on servers since they are cheap, so they confuse and upset a bunch of people. Way to go! Despite the fact they have a ton of cash in the bank and are spending a bunch on marketing the game.

BTW EA, you know you can buy servers with 30 day money back guarantees then if you didn't get the sales, you could return them.

More like 6 months to a year before you see a sharp population drop to the point where the added server capacity isn't needed any more.

The easy solution is to lease some extra servers for a year or two and as the leases run out to do server merges.

Instead, EA takes the stupid path where they figure X% of players will quit after the first, second, and third month etc etc... and allow people to join based on their expected turnover rate.

Eh well. It joins Diablo 3, call of duty, and battlefield 3 in AAA titles I'm really not interested in any more.

73. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales; Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 23:54 Thelemite

So we've gone from Capture the Flag to...Capture the Ball?

I'm still waiting for an MMO developer to create a Skinner Box battleground. Two teams go head to head in a lever-pulling contest to see who gets more pellets!

72. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 22:23 Shagwood

I know this is probably off the main subject and has probably been mentioned on here....but.....HUTTBALL??? AYFKM? Geebus crick on a stick. Thanks for taking the 7yr old version of myself in 1976 and punching him square in the ballsack.  

71. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 21:37 Dades

Transparent marketing attempt to create a false sense of demand.  

70. removed Aug 19, 2011, 21:37 Frags4Fun

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 19, 2011, 23:50.

69. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 21:20 Dev

Seems like this was discussed earlier.

EA wants to save a few grand on servers since they are cheap, so they confuse and upset a bunch of people. Way to go! Despite the fact they have a ton of cash in the bank and are spending a bunch on marketing the game.

BTW EA, you know you can buy servers with 30 day money back guarantees then if you didn't get the sales, you could return them.

68. removed Aug 19, 2011, 21:05 Darks

* REMOVED *

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

67. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 20:45 PropheT

Bhruic wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 20:39:
Anyone who's been there for the launch of any popular MMO will realize you're wrong. Having massive queues for servers is no marketing drivel, when Rift came out, the queues during prime time were 2-3+hrs. And that was during the 7 day "early access", which meant the only people playing were pre-orders.

If EA plans to limit sales in order to avoid that situation, I'm all for it - assuming they are timely about adding new servers to open up more sales.

Yup. It's a good move that will, hopefully, help early adopters and give a more positive introduction as people get started.

66. removed Aug 19, 2011, 20:41 OldScho0l

* REMOVED *

65. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 20:39 Bhruic

Pay no attention to this marketing drivel. Creating artificial scarcity to drum up sales is all this amounts to. If you want a copy, it will be available to you. Simple as that.

Anyone who's been there for the launch of any popular MMO will realize you're wrong. Having massive queues for servers is no marketing drivel, when Rift came out, the queues during prime time were 2-3+hrs. And that was during the 7 day "early access", which meant the only people playing were pre-orders.

If EA plans to limit sales in order to avoid that situation, I'm all for it - assuming they are timely about adding new servers to open up more sales.

64. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 20:33 OldScho0l

People who play with fire should expect to get burned now and then.  

63. removed Aug 19, 2011, 20:32 fher

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 19, 2011, 23:16.

62. removed Aug 19, 2011, 20:32 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 19, 2011, 23:49.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo