Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal

A new video interview on PC Games.de talks with Valve honcho Gabe Newell about DOTA 2 and Counter-Strike Global Offensive during Gamescom. At around the 15:00 mark they ask if Counter-Strike Global Offensive will support cross-platform gaming like Portal 2 does between PC and PS3, and he explains that this is their goal:

That's certainly our goal. We never want to create these 'islands of players.' You have to be sensitive to control differences, and make sure you're accommodating that, but, you know, our view is players should be able to play as part of a community on whatever device they can. You know, sometimes there are contractual, or other issues that make that hard, where somebody, a platform holder doesn't want you to do that for whatever reason, but that's always out preference. is to let customers play and be part of the larger community.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. removed Aug 20, 2011, 21:31 hyul

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 21, 2011, 00:16.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 20, 2011, 07:23 Dev

Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 03:32:
A fact that boggles my mind as to why game developers insist on designing FPS games for consoles when consoles are the worst platforms to play them on.

Its that green stuff

59. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal Aug 20, 2011, 03:32 Rockn-Roll

Keep in mind that when we compare controllers it's not just the objects that are at our hands, but also the technical details of how our manipulation of those objects translate into aiming. Keep in mind that the goal of the aiming control is to position a crosshair onto a target. The essential difference between a game controller and a mouse is:

* A game controller receives directional input from the object in our hands i.e. we press an array of buttons to indicate the direction in which to move...we must wait for when the point where we wanted to go has arrived then release the button.

* A mouse receives positional input from the object in our hands i.e. we simply move to the desired point.

Thus, a game controller has a built-in requirement for a set of complex steps in order to achieve aiming while a mouse is a direct aiming device. This doesn't mean that someone using a controller can't aim as well or better than someone using a mouse...there are some very talented FPS controller gamers that can do well against a mouse gamer. However, the average gamer will find it much easier to learn and play FPS games if they use a mouse for aiming. A fact that boggles my mind as to why game developers insist on designing FPS games for consoles when consoles are the worst platforms to play them on.

So, what will cross-platform do? Provide the developers with some technical challenges...that's all. The server configs will definitely want to include the ability to restrict games to players using game controller...and also restrict games to players that don't use auto-aim. Mixing games with players that use mice against players not using auto-aim with game controllers along with players that do use auto-aim will be a disaster for everyone...as it has before.

What really needs to happen is for game consoles to standardize better game controllers.

Let's Rock!

58. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 20, 2011, 03:06 Jerykk

I've never seen the argument. I wouldn't pay attention to anyone making it. I know plenty of people that prefer controllers, me being one of them (well, I prefer couches, which mandate controllers), but I'd never once claim a controller can compare to a m+k.

Well, yeah, of course you'd never argue that. You play PC games and have been playing shooters since the 90's. However, there's a large portion of the console demographic that started playing shooters with Halo or CoD and these are the people who think gamepads are just as quick and precise as M/KB.

57. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 20, 2011, 01:36 Dades

Sepharo wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 00:48:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 00:43:
There are people out there who genuinely believe that controllers are better for shooters than M/KB. These are the people that grew up on consoles and never touched a PC game, letalone used M/KB. For them, CoD is the standard for shooters and if that can be played with a gamepad, then every shooter can be played with a gamepad.

Nope, never has anyone ever said that ever.

Not ever, never once. Has never happened, could never happen, I have not seen it and I see everything obviously. The possibility of the possibility itself is impossible you see, duh.

56. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 20, 2011, 01:33 Beamer

There are people out there who genuinely believe that controllers are better for shooters than M/KB. These are the people that grew up on consoles and never touched a PC game, letalone used M/KB. For them, CoD is the standard for shooters and if that can be played with a gamepad, then every shooter can be played with a gamepad.

Those people don't post here and aren't worth discussing.
It's like claiming that global warming doesn't exist. There's plenty of proof to the contrary.

I've never seen the argument. I wouldn't pay attention to anyone making it. I know plenty of people that prefer controllers, me being one of them (well, I prefer couches, which mandate controllers), but I'd never once claim a controller can compare to a m+k.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

55. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 20, 2011, 00:48 Sepharo

Nope, never has anyone ever said that ever.

54. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 20, 2011, 00:43 Jerykk

53. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 20, 2011, 00:18 Dades

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 21:42:
I mean, everyone does it to a degree, but he's definitely little more than a troll at this point.

I was referring to you and your little it never happened because I never heard it comment.

52. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 23:55 Krovven

Oh, how things just became clear.

51. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 23:45 Zefalephelah

Hey!! I'm the biggest troll, you stupid fuck!!

Anyway, there is a mouse-like controller available for Xbox by 3rd party. But realistically, there is absolutely no comparison between the Xbox controller and a keyboard/mouse combination.

Perhaps in the future, but right now... nothing.

50. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 22:04 Frags4Fun

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 21:55:
Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 21:54:
I find great pleasure in making pricks like you angry or even slightly annoyed. You are a know-it-all prick and this triggers my urge to troll you. Nobody likes a know-it-all! I'm sure that you find me to be completely obnoxious. I'm just giving you a dose of what you do naturally.

I find you more to be a "who?" than anything.
Seriously, who?

Edit - Oh, you're a second personality. One that plays friendly while OldSchool plays mean. You're your own good cop/bad cop! It's hard to play Robin Hood, though, when your posting history here is all childish insults. You can't really take the higher ground of "I'm giving you what you take" when being nice and civil is your exception, not your rule, and when you're one of the most aggressive posters here.

Are you serious? You are by far, the biggest troll here! Your 1000's of posts history proves it for anyone willing to read it. I have argued in maybe 20 posts since I joined. You don't have the luxury of comparing me to your total number of trolls.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2011, 22:10.

49. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 22:00 Frags4Fun

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 21:55:
I find great pleasure in making pricks like you angry or even slightly annoyed. You are a know-it-all prick and this triggers my urge to troll you. Nobody likes a know-it-all! I'm sure that you find me to be completely obnoxious. I'm just giving you a dose of what you do naturally.

Seriously, who?

Edit - Oh, you're a second personality. One that plays friendly while OldSchool plays mean. You're your own good cop/bad cop! It's hard to play Robin Hood, though, when your posting history here is all childish insults. You can't really take the higher ground of "I'm giving you what you take" when being nice and civil is your exception, not your rule, and when you're one of the most aggressive posters here.

U mad that someone else is resorting to your tricks? LOL

48. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 21:55 Beamer

Seriously, who?

-------------

47. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 21:54 Frags4Fun

So many friendly people on Bluesnews...  

46. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 21:42 Beamer

Yeah he's pretty thick headed and obviously being argumentative on purpose.

I mean, everyone does it to a degree, but he's definitely little more than a troll at this point.

-------------

45. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 21:37 Dev

Every time I've seen cross-platform FPS type play... console players are handicapped either done by adding auto-aim to console, or by adding extra crosshair drift to PC.

And valve is talking about "control differences" so they probably already know they will have to do something like that. Which would make it unfair if someone plugs a mouse into the console and gets extra autoaim with that.

44. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 21:29 Mondosapien

If Valve includes mouse input for CSGO (which I would hope they consider given it's a competition based title), I could easily see gamers stealing their home PC mice to compete at a higher level. I don't think a keyboard would even be necessary, if they can allow for the simultaneous use of controller+mouse.

Cross-platform play may not be necessary to drive these kinds of changes, but it will certainly help.

43. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 21:25 Dades

Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 17:51:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:03:
It does come up and when people argue controllers are better for shooters reality does not factor into the equation.

Those are arguments about preference. I much prefer a controller. Why? Because I much prefer being on a couch in my living room than at the computer in my office. I spend enough time sitting upright in front of a computer at work - I have little interest in doing it at home.

But I've never seen somoene argue that it's superior for control and that a controller-user can beat a mouser.

So, because you never heard it, that means it never existed?

I've read it online countless times and have even had debates with my buddies who only use consoles. They believe that it would be an even match!

Yeah he's pretty thick headed and obviously being argumentative on purpose.

42. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 20:49 OldScho0l

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 18:16:
Why are you such an arrogant prick? One can only imagine how popular you must be in real life.

To quote you:
You're such a douche. The difference between you and me is that I know that I'm an asshole

Found that when I went through your history to see who you were. It was right on page 1.

edit - Oh, right! You're the guy that doesn't understand the Constitution and deleted all his posts when he realized that income taxation is in an Amendment!

Yeah Beamer, and you are the guy who resorts to lying when losing an argument. Like when you said that you were licensed to practice law in 2 states in order to salvage a lost argument. You're a pathetic liar. When going through your history, it's apparent that you have made several claims of this nature. You are a liar. Bottom line.

I may be a total a-hole, but at least I am honest. You make up these fanstastic lies in a desperate attempt to sound like you are right.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo