Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal

A new video interview on PC Games.de talks with Valve honcho Gabe Newell about DOTA 2 and Counter-Strike Global Offensive during Gamescom. At around the 15:00 mark they ask if Counter-Strike Global Offensive will support cross-platform gaming like Portal 2 does between PC and PS3, and he explains that this is their goal:

That's certainly our goal. We never want to create these 'islands of players.' You have to be sensitive to control differences, and make sure you're accommodating that, but, you know, our view is players should be able to play as part of a community on whatever device they can. You know, sometimes there are contractual, or other issues that make that hard, where somebody, a platform holder doesn't want you to do that for whatever reason, but that's always out preference. is to let customers play and be part of the larger community.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

41. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 20:46 MajorD

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2011, 21:01.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. removed Aug 19, 2011, 20:35 fher

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 19, 2011, 23:16.

39. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 20:34 Krovven

Nate wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 19:55:
I'm surprised Gabe is even considering cross-platform play.

Valve did it with Portal 2, PS3/Mac/PC. Valve had also said they had wanted to have crossplatform with Left 4 Dead, but Microsoft wouldn't let them.

Granted there are bigger hurdles with having a game like Counter-Strike be crossplatform. But I also see Valve as having a client and server-side option for those people that want to play "pure" games.

I still think it's going to be a PS3/Mac/PC group and a 360 group. I don't know why Microsoft would change their tune now.

38. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal Aug 19, 2011, 20:23 Huzsar

I guess this could work on PS3 but I think they should separate gamepad players and M+KB players. PS3 supports M+KB controls except all its games that I know of completely ignore that functionality, with exception of Unreal Tournament 3.  

37. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal Aug 19, 2011, 19:55 Nate

I'm surprised Gabe is even considering cross-platform play.  

36. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 19:46 Sepharo

Frags4Fun wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 17:51:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:03:
It does come up and when people argue controllers are better for shooters reality does not factor into the equation.

Those are arguments about preference. I much prefer a controller. Why? Because I much prefer being on a couch in my living room than at the computer in my office. I spend enough time sitting upright in front of a computer at work - I have little interest in doing it at home.

But I've never seen somoene argue that it's superior for control and that a controller-user can beat a mouser.

So, because you never heard it, that means it never existed?

I've read it online countless times and have even had debates with my buddies who only use consoles. They believe that it would be an even match!

Same here, the sad part was arguing with a few fellow developers who should know better. It was like, "Yeah but during college I got really good playing with the controller on the original Halo and would probably beat you even if you played with a mouse." which of course the response to is, "Pick any single FPS where we can play with a choice of either controller or M+KB and I will destroy you whether or not I've even played the game before."

Someone here came up with a pretty good analogy that went something like, "You may be able to learn to drive your car expertly with your feet and that may be impressive but you will still never be as good as someone driving (expertly) with their hands."

I'm also fond of explaining it this way, "Hook up a controller to be your main input device on your computer, try navigating and clicking on some icons, now imagine those icons are heads..."

35. removed Aug 19, 2011, 18:16 Beamer

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 20, 2011, 00:09.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 18:01 ^Drag0n^

OldScho0l wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 17:39:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 11:50:
This will end the debate over "keyboard+mouse vs controller" quickly...

I've never heard any debate.
In fact, Microsoft doesn't allow m+k on the Xbox to prevent an unfair advantage, and any cross-platform game in recent memory (Huxley, Shadowrun) has struggled with finding a way to either nerf m+k (which will piss people off) or add auto-aim to controllers.

Seriously. Never once saw anyone question it outside of imagined arguments on this board.

Why are you such an arrogant prick? One can only imagine how popular you must be in real life.

I have mouse on my xbox...SCORCH.

Sweetness.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

33. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 17:51 Frags4Fun

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:03:
It does come up and when people argue controllers are better for shooters reality does not factor into the equation.

Those are arguments about preference. I much prefer a controller. Why? Because I much prefer being on a couch in my living room than at the computer in my office. I spend enough time sitting upright in front of a computer at work - I have little interest in doing it at home.

But I've never seen somoene argue that it's superior for control and that a controller-user can beat a mouser.

So, because you never heard it, that means it never existed?

I've read it online countless times and have even had debates with my buddies who only use consoles. They believe that it would be an even match!

32. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 17:43 MrRadicalEd

it is a mod of a mod.. of a mod..

I was expecting something along MW2 in terms of map prop usage and geometry, but no.. it is CS:S Plus! the engine looks so dated I don't care about higher resolution textures.

31. removed Aug 19, 2011, 17:39 OldScho0l

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 20, 2011, 00:09.

30. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 17:31 Frags4Fun

pagb wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 11:41:
This will end the debate over "keyboard+mouse vs controller" quickly...

In other news... now let the forenamed debate begin!

I totally agree!

29. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play "Our Goal Aug 19, 2011, 17:29 Frags4Fun

Never
gonna
happen.

28. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 17:00 reisub

I'm sure there's a segment of PC gamers that would pick on console players, if that was possible.  

27. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 16:05 Esoteric

Cutter wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:37:
Well, looks like I'll be skipping this POS. Thanks Gabe, you douchebag.

Why would this make you skip it? Even if it's implemented, there's still going to be custom servers/modding. I'm pretty sure PC players and consoles players would segment themselves anyway, by themselves. Console players won't WANT to play with PC players once they realize they're going to get beaten all the time. And PC players will want to play with other PC players on servers they know.

I mean, if the there are other things you don't like about the game, that's fine (I'm not really sure if I'm that into it either), but to skip it just because of this reason is silly. You will not be forced to play with console players if you don't want to. The experience will be able to be skipped entirely.

26. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 15:59 ItBurn

"You have to be sensitive to control differences, and make sure you're accommodating that" - What? The only way to accomodate that is to penalize mouse controls or to add a significant aimbot to gamepad users. Both are terrible in competitive games... Unless they prevent you from playing with people with different control schemes, which isn't really cross platform.  

25. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 14:43 Tumbler

There are people who say that gamepads can be as good as a comparable mouse and keyboard setup with enough practice.

I think you should take fewer naps...you're starting to confuse your pc fantasies with reality.

I would love to see cross platform games. I'd love to just see gamepad support in all pc games. I don't care if I'm slower to aim, less accurate, and at a huge disadvantage. I still want to use my gamepad on some games.

I'm excited to see what cross platform CSGO looks like.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

24. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 14:04 Beamer

zirik wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:45:
MajorD wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:10:
Remember the SpaceOrb 360? LOL! I remember when that first came out; a friend of mine purchased it and we were using the tutorial......unsuccesffuly I must add. It went back to Fry's the next day.

thats not as bad as the one i saw at E3 a long time ago. it was so bad that people were chuckling at the guy doing the demo.

http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/madcatz/pantherxl/

That doesn't seem terrible, though I'd argue that it's mirrored.

You get a trackball for mouselooking, which some people prefer (I did back in the mid-90s, but those were extremely different times. I was playing Doom, Duke, and possibly Quake with it. Possibly.) And you get a joystick for the keyboard.
I don't think you can do much to improve the input from a mouse, but you certainly could from a keyboard. Something analog would be better, and you really only have access to a few buttons on a keyboard without having to move your hand, so you could easily replicate that (a good FPS limits itself to the buttons you have access to. Looking at you on this one, FEAR.)

Still, even though flawed a keyboard is about 95% of the way there, and since you already have it that extra 5% isn't worth any investment of space or money.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 13:45 zirik

MajorD wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:10:
Remember the SpaceOrb 360? LOL! I remember when that first came out; a friend of mine purchased it and we were using the tutorial......unsuccesffuly I must add. It went back to Fry's the next day.

thats not as bad as the one i saw at E3 a long time ago. it was so bad that people were chuckling at the guy doing the demo.

http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/madcatz/pantherxl/

22. Re: Valve: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Aug 19, 2011, 13:39 necrosis

Pankin wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:34:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 12:05:
Putting a speedboat in the America's Cup and it's guaranteed victory, but that doesn't mean those sailing are incompetent morons that shouldn't enjoy what they do.

Good analogy, seriously.
But over time when every race is won by the speedboat's the sailors will eventually demand that they are removed.

Even if the sailors are having fun after many races coming in the bottom of the pack all the time and never taking first would wear on them.

The other thing is unless there is a huge icon floating over people using KB&M one really does not know if that person is just better at playing with a controller than they are or if it is someone with a KB&M. This would only frustrate things.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2011, 13:45.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo