Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated]

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has word that From Dust does indeed require a constant internet connection to play, in spite of assurances from Ubisoft directly to us and VG247 that the god game would not use this form of DRM (we were told "You will not need to be connected online when playing From Dust's single player campaign and challenge modes"). requires connecting to the internet every time the game is launched, and there are comments on RPS from readers who claim they've been able to get refunds for the game through Steam based on the misrepresentation of the game's DRM. Updated: Apologies for the initial misinterpretation of this, as the game does not require a constant internet connection. The uproar is actually over the game needing to validate over the internet to launch each time it plays. This is apparently a contradiction to some previous forum posts, but is not necessarily inconsistent with what we were told about the game's DRM. Our sincere apologies for the error, and its unnecessary contribution to the uproar over this.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 19, 2011, 07:06 eRe4s3r

My last month data usage: 132 gb - i would say 150gb is normal usage in todays times with youtube HD and what not... so i am really curious, what is your cap?

If its below 150gb you might want to consider moving out of the tundra

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 19, 2011, 04:22 webname

yeah ive noticed the same a number of ubi games i own have unresolved problem, i tend to avoid them now

And whats the deal with steam users, surely they cant care steam is precisely the same disease , gotta go online suck down updates (open wide we are gonna drain your cap ) or play on lan it requires the net as well. Seems rather ironic to me ??

USB hard drives are cheap so download anywhere phooey!

20. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 19, 2011, 02:10 Rattlehead

People should be boycotting Ubisoft because their games are fucking terrible, not because of their DRM.  

19. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 19, 2011, 01:42 meezookeewee

Tomas wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 01:00:
I'm a proud non-purchaser (non-consumer too for those obnoxious few of you who assume that means I must be pirating their stuff) of all Ubi products since their first mention of this abuse of their customer base began.

I wonder how many others like me are out there and whether this DRM really is helping Ubi in the long run.

Trust me, dude. You're not alone. The moment they mentioned the always-on DRM, I basically said, "Fuck you, Ubisoft." I have not bought a single thing from them since. The games I have from them, including the original Assassin's Creed, I'm keeping because they were released prior to this horseshit DRM. Why people tolerate this crap is beyond me.

18. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 19, 2011, 01:07 Darks

Whats more retarded is that they would implement this type of DRM on a 15 dollar game. thats just Ubi not being very smart business wise.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

17. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 19, 2011, 01:00 Tomas

I'm a proud non-purchaser (non-consumer too for those obnoxious few of you who assume that means I must be pirating their stuff) of all Ubi products since their first mention of this abuse of their customer base began.

I wonder how many others like me are out there and whether this DRM really is helping Ubi in the long run.

16. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 19, 2011, 00:15 Jerykk

Ugh. It's a shame that Ubisoft has such retarded DRM policies because they release more PC-exclusives than any of the other big publishers.  

15. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? [Updated] Aug 18, 2011, 23:57 StingingVelvet

I'm not defending Ubisoft's bullshit, but "one-time only" could certainly have meant when you start the game or whatever. I mean obviously it was purposely misleading, but not really a lie. I dunno.

Either way... shitty stuff. Ubisoft is the worst big publisher on PC by far.

14. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 23:10 Frijoles

It is a poor port, but I'm enjoying it at least. I only paid $11 and figure I'll get about 4 hours out of it. Just make sure to turn off the mouse scroll thing. That's apparently fucking things up pretty bad (I turned mine off before even trying the game).

It's basically a tech demo.

13. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:55 necrosis

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 22:39:
I'm guessing it really was just an internal communication problem, as in someone told someone else something wrong, and they passed on the incorrect information. But Ubi has put themselves in a position that no one will believe them no matter what the truth is.

I bought the game on Xbox before all this went down. Its too bad they fucked up the PC version, because its a pretty good game. Its not really made for a controller though. I would have loved to have seen it on PC. Maybe in 6 months when they remove the DRM and its on a Steam sale for $5.
Don't bother. Reviews are coming out (like the mentioned RPS article) and staying its a piss poor port.

12. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:54 necrosis

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 22:49:
There is not a constant internet connection requirement. It validates every time you start and for some reason when you exit.

Should clarify things up a bit.
And if this is true it makes things better how? They still outright lied to us.

11. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:50 Icewind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlAVcHBMxO0&feature=related  

10. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:49 Rattlehead

There is not a constant internet connection requirement. It validates every time you start and for some reason when you exit.

Should clarify things up a bit.

9. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:46 necrosis

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 22:19:
Sit Ubi sit! Bad dog!
Pfft... Put them down like Old Yeller.

8. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:39 Dirwulf

I'm guessing it really was just an internal communication problem, as in someone told someone else something wrong, and they passed on the incorrect information. But Ubi has put themselves in a position that no one will believe them no matter what the truth is.

I bought the game on Xbox before all this went down. Its too bad they fucked up the PC version, because its a pretty good game. Its not really made for a controller though. I would have loved to have seen it on PC. Maybe in 6 months when they remove the DRM and its on a Steam sale for $5.

7. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:39 meezookeewee

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 22:19:
Sit Ubi sit! Bad dog!

This is a rabid dog that needs to be put down.

6. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:19 Cutter

Sit Ubi sit! Bad dog!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:16 Overon

Okay then I am wrong and I have edited my post to admit my wrongness and correct it.

Still I don't like Ubisoft.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2011, 08:49.

4. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 22:09 meezookeewee

Well, that settles it. I will never buy a game from UbiSoft again. Even if they do drop that ridiculous DRM, the fact that they blatantly lied to everyone about the game's DRM? I agree with nin, don't waste your money.  

3. Re: From Dust DRM Dust Up - Refunds Offered? Aug 18, 2011, 21:37 nin

Once again, UBI shows you what they really think of pc gamers. Spend your money elsewhere.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo