Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed

The Ubisoft Forums have word that Ubisoft has reconsidered the plan to use their unpopular always-on DRM in Driver: San Francisco, and players will not be required to be connected to the internet to play the upcoming open-world driving action game (thanks Shacknews). Here's the announcement:

We've heard your feedback regarding the permanent internet connection requirement for Driver and have made the decision to no longer include it. So this means that Driver PC gamers will only need to sign in at game launch but can subsequently choose to play the game offline.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 19, 2011, 02:05 xXBatmanXx

Who says bitching doesn't get shit done!

Actually - their sales numbers probably have more to do with it than the community....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 19, 2011, 00:02 Cutter

No, I meant just one single connection so they know it's a legit copy. Done.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

50. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 21:37 Marvin T. Martian

nin wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 20:10:
I love the fact that UBI reneged on From Dust. Pay attention folks, they're showing their true colors.

Ditto!!!! They said no and then reversed (or lied in the 1st place)

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/124694/from-dust-drm-dust-up-refunds-offered

49. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 20:10 nin

I love the fact that UBI reneged on From Dust. Pay attention folks, they're showing their true colors.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

48. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 20:01 Tumbler

Are we all insane? Stupid perhaps? Have some off-the-wall expectations or the like? I mean, what is so hard about a 1 time activation?

Blizzard shipped a similar system with Starcraft 2. (I think?) A few games on my steam account will launch without steam, Borderlands is one, but most of those games won't work unless I connect to steam first. Once connected I can log off and play in offline mode but that isn't much different...

Why doesn't steam default to offline mode when you shut down your computer? (is this possible?) I should have all the benefits of offline mode on steam when I boot up my system but as I understand it I have to connect to steam first?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

47. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 19:39 ASeven

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 19:00:
Are we all insane? Stupid perhaps? Have some off-the-wall expectations or the like? I mean, what is so hard about a 1 time activation?

This 1-time activation happens every single time you open the game, and you need to be connected online or no game for you!

46. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 19:00 Cutter

45. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 18:12 Sempai

GOSH! Thank you kindly Ubi! We're so lucky to have you!

Now go suck a dick.

44. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 18:07 Prez

Both From Dust and Driver: San Francisco require a internet connection EVERY time you launch the game.

Oh. Praise retracted. Ubisoft still sucks the balls off a camel.

Jeez these guys are frickin' stupid.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 17:31 cronik

About time.  

42. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 17:29 bhcompy

Games like Driver are first and foremost console games. Sucks that Ubisoft are being dicks, but pretty much everything they're dropping on PC that has this type of DRM is a console game. How's about you play it on a console and stop bitching

/hate DRM as much as anyone else, but wanting to play a shitty port is even worse

41. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 16:43 OldScho0l

I have to wonder how much these developers pay to use DRM. There must be license fees. Does the customer end up paying like 5-10$+ for it in the end? I would assume that it is passed on to the consumer.

Also, I see this type of DRM as a deterrent when considering future purchases. Why would a person who owns a gaming laptop ever want to buy a SP game that they can't play from anywhere? It sort of defeats the purpose of a gaming laptop.

40. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 16:21 ASeven

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 15:53:
necrosis wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 15:46:
Wait. People are gobbling this up and giving Ubi praise for this bullshit?

You still need a internet connection to START the game EVERY TIME. This is the difference between having boiling water thrown on your crotch vs hot water from your water heater. Its still bullshit.

I know, I misread it. My bad. Ubisoft = cunts. What baffles me is how the whole From Dust DRM lies aren't illegal. I'm positive you can sue them for this shit in the US.

In the EU this move they pulled can be sanctioned by the EU courts. This was nothing short of misleadng publicity at its blatant.

39. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 16:14 zincthallinide

I was looking at From Dust, but then I saw it was an Ubisoft game and I knew I should Google and indeed it has their weird internet-based DRM scheme.

They MUST know that these schemes only annoy customers, they just must figure they are somehow reducing piracy.

I know though that when I pirated games regularly I didn't care if it had DRM or not, because the pirated copy of course removes the DRM. I never even bothered to find out what DRM a game (once) had..

So, this move of theirs makes (some, admittedly) customers annoyed, and affects the pirates not at all, except perhaps to give the cracking crews another little puzzle to solve.

It's a bad business decision all the way around..

38. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 16:10 briktal

Frijoles wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 15:51:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 15:31:
Not quite.

Both From Dust and Driver: San Francisco require a internet connection EVERY time you launch the game. (So the DRM still sucks)... but if you lose your internet connection after you launched... you can still play (until you exit... then you need an internet connection again to launch again).

As posted up a few comments, this was changed in From Dust. It now requires an always-on connection. In fact, they're giving refunds last I saw.

No, originally they announced that From Dust would have a one time only online activation. In reality, an internet connection is required every time you start the game, and they have now changed the post on their forums to reflect this (after the game had been released).

37. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 16:10 Tumbler

You hearing this Blizzard?!

My thoughts exactly. I hope consumers stay away from Diablo 3 as well...but I won't hold my breath.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

36. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 16:05 Cutter

You hearing this Blizzard?!

35. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 15:53 Creston

necrosis wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 15:46:

You still need a internet connection to START the game EVERY TIME. This is the difference between having boiling water thrown on your crotch vs hot water from your water heater. Its still bullshit.

I know, I misread it. My bad. Ubisoft = cunts. What baffles me is how the whole From Dust DRM lies aren't illegal. I'm positive you can sue them for this shit in the US.

Creston

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2011, 16:06.

34. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 15:51 Frijoles

wtf_man wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 15:31:
Not quite.

Both From Dust and Driver: San Francisco require a internet connection EVERY time you launch the game. (So the DRM still sucks)... but if you lose your internet connection after you launched... you can still play (until you exit... then you need an internet connection again to launch again).

As posted up a few comments, this was changed in From Dust. It now requires an always-on connection. In fact, they're giving refunds last I saw.

Edit: I was corrected below. Not always-on, just on launch. And after the game, apparently, to sync the save file.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2011, 16:22.

33. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 15:46 necrosis

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo