Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Revival Possibilities

Speaking with Computer and Video Games at Gamescom, EA Labels president Frank Gibeau talked about plans to revive some of EA's older franchises. "We do have a couple of old franchises that we're looking at right now... reimagining them and bringing them back," he told them. "We've got 25 years of good IPs and I've worked on a few of them in my career like Road Rash and the Strike series. So I have a strong affinity for a lot of the things we've done in the past." He also talks of the challenges this presents. "But when we look at Road Rash, the Strike series or some of these other franchises we really challenge ourselves. We can't just put them on new tech with the same gameplay from ten years ago, we've got to have something new. That's the typical challenge that we have." They reference ongoing rumors about a Syndicate remake/revival, but Gibeau does not address these.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 20, 2011, 15:37 RollinThundr

Dev wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 07:33:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 11:14:
EA canned it because the entire dev team left. They could have hired an entirely new team and said "here's a franchise you've never worked on. Make a new game!" or they could have canned it.

People would have been pissed either way.
Happens all the time where a new team does an existing IP project. And sometimes it works out even better, such as Fallout New Vegas.

Its not like the crusader series were deep games that needed good writers or anything.

While I don't disagree dev, I think FO:NV is a bad analogy considering most of the Obsidian guys created the IP in the first place.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 20, 2011, 07:33 Dev

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 11:14:
EA canned it because the entire dev team left. They could have hired an entirely new team and said "here's a franchise you've never worked on. Make a new game!" or they could have canned it.

Happens all the time where a new team does an existing IP project. And sometimes it works out even better, such as Fallout New Vegas.

Its not like the crusader series were deep games that needed good writers or anything.

51. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 18:52 Creston

So you'll agree that it's still EA's fault?

Creston

50. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 13:56 Beamer

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 13:29:
Yeah, and did you ever wonder WHY the entire dev team left? I'm sure it was because EA was such a fucking joy to work for. Rolleyes

Creston

Probably, possibly not.

Still, saying they canned the project because they're jerks isn't quite right. They canned the project because they had no one to work on it. Because the people that made it left.

Because they're jerks. Probably.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

49. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 13:29 Creston

Yeah, and did you ever wonder WHY the entire dev team left? I'm sure it was because EA was such a fucking joy to work for. Rolleyes

Creston

48. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 11:14 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

47. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 11:00 Creston

meezookeewee wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 01:47:
I would really love to have a third Crusader game. Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret were some of the funnest games I've ever played. I nabbed No Remorse from GOG, so I still play that one. Cheesy live-action videos are still awesome. If memory serves me correctly, there WERE plans for a third game in the series, but for some reason it didn't get made.

I think that was right around the time when they got sold to EA, and EA just canned it, instead wanting to focus on "the main franchises."

Even back then they were already cunts.

Creston

46. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 10:59 Creston

Devinoch wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 18:54:
Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 12:19:
Pagan wasn't all that bad. Ascension was a piece of horseshit, but that's what happens when you let a fucking Command and Conquer producer take the reigns on an RPG.

Lead programmer, not producer, but hey, what's a few details...

Both the executive producer and the senior producer never worked on a C&C title.

Ed di Castello was producer on C&C and became producer on Ascension. There was a massive amount of uproar on Origin's forums about it, because he had such wonderful statements "Ultima is not about baking bread! There's no need for that to be in the game!"

He's the guy that turned it into a goddamn Mario game. And he was no programmer.

Creston

45. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 09:14 Dev

meezookeewee wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 01:47:
I would really love to have a third Crusader game. Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret were some of the funnest games I've ever played. I nabbed No Remorse from GOG, so I still play that one. Cheesy live-action videos are still awesome. If memory serves me correctly, there WERE plans for a third game in the series, but for some reason it didn't get made.
Those were GREAT games. I bought both of them at retail when they came out.

I'd buy them again on steam if they'd bother to put them there.

44. removed Aug 19, 2011, 04:41 carol.tang

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 19, 2011, 04:53.

43. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 03:57 InBlack

We can't just put them on new tech with the same gameplay from ten years ago, we've got to have something new. That's the typical challenge that we have

Why not you douchebag suit?? Since that is exactly what we want, "gameplay" is what made these games classics. So why not give us gamplay with improved graphics and better tech?? Isnt that basically what Blizzard has been doing for the past 20 years with its IPs? I dont see it doing that bad now....

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 19, 2011, 01:47 meezookeewee

41. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 20:46 saluk

On the one hand, good gameplay is good gameplay. I mean, it doesn't suddenly suck because it's 20 years later, ya know? Road Rash for instance is basically the same gameplay as wipeout, things haven't exactly changed that much.

On the other hand, as soon as you move from 2.5d engine in the road rash or strike games, to full 3d, a lot of things are changed already. So finding what made the core gameplay so good in the new environment can be a challenge. The 3d road rash game, I think it was for the n64? Well it wasnt very good for a lot of reasons, but EA is right that it's not easy.

Still, I'd love to see a new rash game. Spent hours playing that on the good ol' Amiga! Even had to put up with like 5 minute loading times offa the disk lol.

But I don't expect much, EA is just looking for things to put a price tag on.

40. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 20:20 wtf_man

Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 redone in a modern engine.
System Shock 1 & 2 redone in a modern engine.

NO CONSOLIZATION!

Yeah... I'm dreaming.

39. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 20:01 Prez

I'll take Syndicate, as there really hasn't been anything like it. Though there are others I'd take, this is the one I'm most hoping for.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

38. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 19:16 HorrorScope

System Shock
Dungeon Keeper
Ultima
Wing Commander

Those would have to be the top names, some games named herein are several notches under these franchises. Only idiots would let them rot like they have.

37. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 19:05 Muscular Beaver

Who the hell cares if it will be console ports.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

36. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 18:54 Devinoch

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 12:19:
Pagan wasn't all that bad. Ascension was a piece of horseshit, but that's what happens when you let a fucking Command and Conquer producer take the reigns on an RPG.

Lead programmer, not producer, but hey, what's a few details...

Both the executive producer and the senior producer never worked on a C&C title.

35. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 18:41 Ventura

Magic Carpet 3, please.  

34. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 17:52 StingingVelvet

Is it weird that I am more excited about their future GOG releases than I am these revivals?  

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo