Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming

There's a version 4.3 preview on the World of Warcraft Website with a look at the transmogrification feature in the next major version of Blizzard's MMORPG. They explain that: "In patch 4.3 you’ll be able to customize the appearance of your weapons and armor like never before." Here's how:

The Ethereals, emerging from the nether, will bring with them a new technology they call Transmogrification. They’re heading to the capital cities of Azeroth to set up shop and to offer adventurers a unique service -- copying the appearance of one magical item onto another. They only ask for a modest gold donation to recoup their costs.

Visiting a Transmogrifier will present players with a new interface that will allow them to change the appearance of an item while retaining its original stats. This means that you can raid in your paladin tier 12 Immolation set, but look like you’re wearing Lightbringer, while priests can bring Benediction back -- at least in spirit. Hunters can once again roam the jungles of Stranglethorn Vale in their tier 2 Dragonstalker set. You could even slip into the saucy tailored Black Mageweave set for that matter. You know, with the thigh highs, and the little gloves, and the cute little… ahem.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 14:07 MattyC

PropheT wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 13:36:
Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:04:
Yeah, every other game on earth has had this for years now, they're called wardrobe tabs.

Yup, and in true WoW fashion they made it into yet another gold sink instead of just making it the feature everyone asked for.

I haven't played WoW since shortly after Cata came out (it killed it for me, just wasn't fun... and they expected me to daily farm those awful insanely long heroics? ick) after playing since launch. Things could have changed (like I said, haven't played in a long while), but when I was active the game desperately needed more gold sinks. The economy was suffering crazy inflation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 13:36 PropheT

Yeah, every other game on earth has had this for years now, they're called wardrobe tabs.

Yup, and in true WoW fashion they made it into yet another gold sink instead of just making it the feature everyone asked for.

15. Re: do you really want to know Aug 18, 2011, 11:51 SimplyMonk

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 22:45:
space captain wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 22:30:
how many years have you wasted on this shit?

You know the exact same thing could be said about gaming as a whole.

Sweet Jeebus! What have I done with my life!?!?!?

Oh. Wait. No. Nevermind. Everything else is just as meaningless. I'm cool. Carry on.

14. Re: do you really want to know Aug 18, 2011, 11:41 Alamar

I played WoW on and off for ~5 years... I didn't waste any time on it : )

-Alamar

13. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 11:33 Riker

Wow, this is exactly what I need to restore my interzzzzzzzzzz...  

12. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 09:24 Verno

shihonage wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 01:06:
WoW stopped being fun past DarkShire. At least the WoW I so desperately wanted to play. The beginning was perfect. Atmospheric locations, close by quest hubs...

Then it all went to shit. Well, after Darkshire I had a brief respite at Arathi Highlands. And then it all went to shit.

Now I am stuck in some inn, and there's never anyone else around. Gone are the days of lively Goldshire. The locations are too spread out. It's a single-player game now. With stupid instances tacked on.

Fuck that.

WoW stopped being fun when it became a formula and spreadsheet instead of a game. The early quests were pretty roughly designed but had some interesting writing for those that didn't just blindly click through it. There were some great quest arcs that spanned entire zones even. I remember doing the Priest and Hunter class quests, it was a pretty big undertaking and the whole guild got involved to some extent.

There's definitely something to that old saying about the journey and the destination. Item levels and boss mechanics aren't why I was playing a fantasy MMO, it was the lore and universe. Sadly I'm probably a minority judging by the crowds of people who line to do their daily quests and run the same reskinned boss 50 times.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

11. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 08:53 MacLeod

Hmm... the official blue post mentioned it doesn't work with Legendary gear, not epic. I tend to believe that more than "some gaming magazine", especially since the example shows purples... and they mention tier sets.

10. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 04:30 Muscular Beaver

Another gaming magazine writes that it doesnt work with epic gear. So yeah... lol...  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

9. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 04:25 Luke

And when you are done dressing up all your 10 alts everything is back to wow-normal  

8. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 02:04 Wallshadows

Considering the fact that their art team has been sniffing glue since The Burning Crusade, it's a sigh of relief that I can not throw on my T2 Paladin or Warlock set and look like a total boss.

On the other hand, I suspect that the new item models from this moment on will be much more horrific.

7. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 01:06 shihonage

WoW stopped being fun past DarkShire. At least the WoW I so desperately wanted to play. The beginning was perfect. Atmospheric locations, close by quest hubs...

Then it all went to shit. Well, after Darkshire I had a brief respite at Arathi Highlands. And then it all went to shit.

Now I am stuck in some inn, and there's never anyone else around. Gone are the days of lively Goldshire. The locations are too spread out. It's a single-player game now. With stupid instances tacked on.

Fuck that.

6. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 00:24 Talisorn

Beat me to it. Seems Blizzard is playing desperate catchup rather than defining their own game. Oh, how the might have fallen.

5. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 17, 2011, 23:04 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 17, 2011, 22:53 MrGrosser

Sweet, now I can renew my subscription.. oh wait, I already used that one today.

Seriously.. this is all they have left.. make gear look like other gear while still have people asking you for your item level score...

I can almost hear the death throes of WoW already.

3. Re: do you really want to know Aug 17, 2011, 22:45 Beelzebud

You know the exact same thing could be said about gaming as a whole.

2. do you really want to know Aug 17, 2011, 22:30 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 17, 2011, 22:12 Mashiki Amiketo

Wow we only asked for that back in the original vanilla closed beta. How many years is that?  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo