Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge

Mow married Minecraft creator Notch has updated his blog with word that he wants to settle the legal battle with Bethesda over use of the title Edge Scrolls for Mojang's next project the old-fashioned way, in a QUAKE III Arena deathmatch:

The only negative thing going on at this moment is the Scrolls trademark lawsuit nonsense, and I think I came up with the perfect solution:

Remember that scene in Game of Thrones where Tyrion chose a trial by battle in the Eyrie? Well, letís do that instead! I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, you select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.

If we win, you drop the lawsuit.

If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something youíre fine with.

Regardless of the outcome, we could still have a small text somewhere saying our game is not related to your game series in any way, if you wish.

I am serious, by the way.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Cool Aug 19, 2011, 11:21 Creston

Asmo wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 21:17:
Alamar wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 11:50:
You meant Mojang's being complete asshats for trying to trademark the word "Scrolls"?

-Alamar

How do you figure?

If Mojang was trying to use "The Elder Scrolls", you might have a point, but "Scrolls" as a title doesn't, to my mind, garner anything from Elder Scrolls...
What's next, they sue anyone with 'the' in the title?

I don't think Bethesda would have sued had Mojang just called their game Scrolls. It's when Mojang tried to TRADEMARK the word "scrolls" that Bethesda started going "Ehhmm..."

So both parties are kind of being idiots.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 23:51  Blue 

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 21:04:
Although, speaking from direct experience, Notch should be very greatful that tokay and TheRomero are not under the Zenimax umbrella...eh, Blue?

^D^

Oh yeah, big time. They were both terrors, tokay in particular... destroying all comers in a 3" x 3" window. Just amazing. If he was involved, "Scrolls" would end up being renamed something like "Thank You American, Can I have Another?"

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

27. Re: Cool Aug 18, 2011, 21:17 Asmo

You meant Mojang's being complete asshats for trying to trademark the word "Scrolls"?

-Alamar

How do you figure?

If Mojang was trying to use "The Elder Scrolls", you might have a point, but "Scrolls" as a title doesn't, to my mind, garner anything from Elder Scrolls...

What's next, they sue anyone with 'the' in the title?

26. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 21:04 ^Drag0n^

Although, speaking from direct experience, Notch should be very greatful that tokay and TheRomero are not under the Zenimax umbrella...eh, Blue?

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

25. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 21:01 ^Drag0n^

sauron wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 11:03:
ASeven wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 07:27:
Gentlemen, duel at dawn. I choose for a weapon... Quake TEH RAILGUN Super Nailgun.

Fixed.

Meh. not old school enough. FIFY.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

24. Re: Cool Aug 18, 2011, 20:50 saluk

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 22:38:
ahahahaha This has got to be the absolute *BEST* response to a lawsuit I have ever seen in my life.

Kudos Notch! If they're smart, they'll accept the challenge.. this is great publicity all around (besides the part where Bethesda's lawyers are complete asshats for trying to own the word "Scrolls"). ^_^

-Alamar

Haha yeah, that was a pretty bad decision right there. The first shot if you will. Doesn't make the return fire any less silly.

23. Re: Cool Aug 18, 2011, 11:50 Alamar

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 22:38:
ahahahaha This has got to be the absolute *BEST* response to a lawsuit I have ever seen in my life.

Kudos Notch! If they're smart, they'll accept the challenge.. this is great publicity all around (besides the part where Bethesda's lawyers are complete asshats for trying to own the word "Scrolls"). ^_^

-Alamar

22. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 11:42 Creston

ELITE wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 10:24:
Um... Does Quake III have VATS?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Bravo, good Sir.

Creston

21. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 11:03 sauron

ASeven wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 07:27:
Gentlemen, duel at dawn. I choose for a weapon... Quake TEH RAILGUN.

Fixed.

Kittens!

20. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 10:24 ELITE

Um... Does Quake III have VATS?  

19. Re: Cool Aug 18, 2011, 09:34 nin

Mead wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 02:26:
Linksil wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 01:08:
Make this a PPV and split the profits between the two companys.
What, and give them yet another reason to complain about rampant piracy? No thanks.

What?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 08:31 Sepharo

Armengar wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 04:03:
I vote Q3DM17 I loved that map, it is what taught me to "juggle".

Q3DM17 taught my how to predict spawning patterns since major spawn rape is an important part of instagib 1v1s on that map.

17. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 08:09 Beamer

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 22:37:
When was the last time lawyers did anything good for gaming? Any plan that cuts them out of the process is good news to me.

Other than the ones that fight any time a politician tries to pass laws restricting gaming? The ones that keep defending gamers?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 07:27 ASeven

Gentlemen, duel at dawn. I choose for a weapon... Quake.  

15. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 06:56 Luther

You can bet folks at Bethesda and their subsidiaries are following this but can't say a word about it due to company policy. I'd be chomping at the bit! I think developers are actually better at PR on account of NOT being lawyers or HR people. Everybody should have very little patience for corporate fuckwittery, not matter how much you like the company it's coming from (and I do like Bethesda! Less and less every day they don't reply to this in a non lawyerish manner!)  

14. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 04:03 Armengar

I vote Q3DM17 I loved that map, it is what taught me to "juggle".  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

13. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 03:56 InBlack

Epic, truly epic! KUDOS Notch.

I have to add Bethesda has really taken a bad turn here with this IP lawsuit bullshit. I mean what the fuck, everytime someone uses the plural of the noun "scroll" its an IP infringement??

What assholes...

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 03:48 shihonage

This isn't going to work. It's well-known that Todd Howard and Pete Hines have no sense of humor. Just look at what they did with the Fallout license.  

11. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 02:54 Acleacius

No way, Bethesda's side has no skillz and couldn't take the heat. They would fold like a bunch of limp noddles in Fish sauce and Garlic with toasted Sesame oil.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: Notch's Q3A Scrolls Challenge Aug 18, 2011, 02:37 Wallshadows

This is more like the episode New Friends of Undergrads where Gimpy challenges Spud to a Quake Deathmatch.

Great series, by the way. Shame it only lasted one season...

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo