Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support

Dedicated servers will be part of the PC support for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, reports Eurogamer. "The big announcement today is that we're supporting dedicated servers for PC, which is really cool," Beachhead Studios' Noah Heller told them at Gamescom. "And of course we're working really hard right now on the customised version of Elite for the PC [versions of Call of Duty games], because it's an open platform and has some challenges." Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 did not offer dedicated server support, in spite of pleas and petitions from the community, but comments from Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling at E3 said this was at least a possibility for the next installment in the military shooter series.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 18, 2011, 12:37 ^Drag0n^

DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 20:28:
Origin isn't 1/10 as bad as Games for Windows Live. With enough saber rattling I'm sure EA/DICE will bend to the will of the community. I would just like it to not "pop up" in the foreground every time you connect to a BF3 server.

At least Games for Windows LIVE doesn't take away my library after 2 years of inactivity. That can be a legitimate concern for a lot of reasons (having kids, going through a divorce, expat, military service, etc...)

For that reason alone, EA is currently dead to me. I will only use their service if/when they lose that asinine clause in the T&Cs.

I also intend to demand a copy of Crysis 2 that allows DLC, as they have locked me out of getting it legally (even though I have no interest in it...it's the principle).

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 22:00 Beamer

Verno wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 13:45:
Tumbler wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 13:32:
Meh, I have the 360 and PS3 version set to come in from goozex. I think that is going to satisfy my needs as far as this game is concerned. I would be curious to try it on the PC but after buying CoD4 on a steam sale and finding it had no gamepad support I won't be spending money on this one to try it.

This is literally a facepalm icon in text format.

hehe.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. removed Aug 17, 2011, 21:41 posd

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 18, 2011, 01:44.

32. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 20:28 DangerDog

Origin isn't 1/10 as bad as Games for Windows Live. With enough saber rattling I'm sure EA/DICE will bend to the will of the community. I would just like it to not "pop up" in the foreground every time you connect to a BF3 server.  

31. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 19:44 theyarecomingforyou

I would be curious to try it on the PC but after buying CoD4 on a steam sale and finding it had no gamepad support I won't be spending money on this one to try it.
Okay, I can understand that certain genres benefit from, or are not adversely affected by, the use of controllers but that is DEFINITELY not true for the FPS genre. If you were talking about GTA4, Prince Of Persia, Batman: Arkham Asylum or Assassin's Creed then I could understand but to want to play COD4 with a controller just strikes me as wrong.

Still, it's nice to see a massive franchise like COD actually concerned about the backlash from the gaming community. It shows that they're not just bulldozing over people's opinions. It still strikes me as an incredibly shallow franchise that offers squat in the way of innovation but it's at least a baby step in the right direction. I wish I could support BF3 as an alternative but EA is using that as a political took to boost Origin, at the expense of the consumer. There's no reason they couldn't use Origin like other games on Steam use GFWL, yet they choose to be retarded about things.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

30. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 19:36 ^Drag0n^

DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 19:18:
This picture is full of win.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8261/bf3vsmw3.jpg

I'll second that!

^D^

29. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 19:18 DangerDog

Originally Posted by @Demize99
#BF3 queue at #GamesCom, and randomly chosen comparison queue.

This picture is full of win.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8261/bf3vsmw3.jpg

28. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 18:49 xXBatmanXx

CoD is dead to me. After that 120+ dollar fiasco of BlackOps (the packs fragmented/killed our community of gamers) - I won't be buying another one for some time. I initially bought the game for the GunGame mod thrown in, but it is a wager match only deal - wtf. LAME! And it is king of the hill GunGame. Super lame!

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2011, 19:26.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 18:46 xXBatmanXx

Meh, I have the 360 and PS3 version set to come in from goozex. I think that is going to satisfy my needs as far as this game is concerned. I would be curious to try it on the PC but after buying CoD4 on a steam sale and finding it had no gamepad support I won't be spending money on this one to try it.

GTFO of here you console heathen!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 17:54 ^Drag0n^

And by "dedicated" they probably mean "dedicated" servers in an Arizona Data Center run by Activision that you can "lease."

^D^

25. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 17:37 Jackplug

who wants to play that shit, when BF3 is coming out. After that last video of BF3 with the jets its bye bye COD forever cos I cant see the old engine of COD stretching that far  

24. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 17:32 DangerDog

Tumbler, this image has "you" written all over it.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6885/znah.jpg

23. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 17:18 necrosis

I would be curious to try it on the PC but after buying CoD4 on a steam sale and finding it had no gamepad support I won't be spending money on this one to try it.
Are you that stupid, or just a troll?

22. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 16:33 Tumbler

This is not the website you are looking for.

Hmm, you are probably right...

Here is the Infinity Ward Forums. I posted a request there to add controller support to the game. Feel free to go there and do the same if this is important to you.

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=378490&start=1010

Hey Blue, is that URL function broken? I keep getting an error when I put the link inside the first brackets that the word is too long.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

21. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 15:31 Krovven

This is not the website you are looking for.

20. removed Aug 17, 2011, 15:28 TurdFergasun

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 17, 2011, 15:38.

19. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 15:15 Elessar

Verno wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 13:45:

This is literally a facepalm icon in text format.
Facepalm indeed.

I really do hope BF3 outsells MW3 on the PC. There was some anecdotal preorder numbers some Gamestop guy was throwing out for the console version and MW3 was destroying BF3 in that regard. I can only hope PC gamers come through to send a message. That we will buy mass quantities of a product for the PC, if it's not recycled shit year in and year out. We're here, we're waiting, you just have to make a good product for us to bite big.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

18. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 15:00 DangerDog

yuastnav wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 14:08:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 13:26:
...]
Some people do prefer the fast slow twitch arcade style of COD games though.

FTFY

[...] I would be curious to try it on the PC but after buying CoD4 on a steam sale and finding it had no gamepad support I won't be spending money on this one to try it.

m(

I find COD games much more twitch than Battlefield games, all these gamers who can only play if their avatar can sprint sideways and bunny hop around the screen.

17. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 14:45 EddieTheHack

"because it's an open platform and has some challenges." This is just dev speak for 'Our primary platform has as much processing power as a graphing calculator - so when you run assets designed with that limitation in mind on a system with loads more power it is really hard to make things look nice, especially when your core engine tech is a decade old. I think we are going to take a page from crytek's crysis 2 handbook and just flood the screen with bloom and glare to cover up our inadequacy. Folks can't bitch about visuals when they are hidden behind a blob of nondescript post-processing.'  

16. Re: Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Dedicated Server Support Aug 17, 2011, 14:08 yuastnav

DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 13:26:
...]
Some people do prefer the fast slow twitch arcade style of COD games though.

FTFY

[...] I would be curious to try it on the PC but after buying CoD4 on a steam sale and finding it had no gamepad support I won't be spending money on this one to try it.

m(

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo