Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced

NCsoft announces WildStar at Gamescom, a science fiction MMOG, revealing this is the project in development at Carbine Studios since back in 2007 when this studio was formed by industry veterans Kevin Beardslee (a lead developer on WoW), Tim Cain (Fallout programmer and co-founder of Troika), and Jeremy Gaffney (City of Heroes and Asheron’s Call). They say they have a polished three-level build of the game to show off to attendees of the trade show, and offer this cinematic introductory trailer and a very large batch of screenshots. Here's word on the game itself, followed by the embedded version of the intro trailer.

Developed by NCsoft’s Southern California-based Carbine Studios, WildStar offers epic high adventure, where players make their mark as Explorers, Soldiers, Scientists or Settlers and lay claim to a mysterious planet on the edge of known space. WildStar’s iconic visual style and “Momentum Mechanics” immerse players in a deep world stacked with content, challenges and rewards that respond to the play style choices of individual players. Depending on a combination of faction, race, class and path, WildStar will present gamers with unending surprises, mini-quests and challenges, ensuring that their experiences are fun and fresh.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Oct 30, 2011, 14:05 Acleacius

Sorry about Necroing this thread, I see most posters aren't interested but has anyone signed up for the Beta?

It doesn't seem that bad to me, though I haven't really played most of the games it's inspired from for more than 2 or 3 months. Plus Tim Cain worked on this for almost 6 years and huge fan of all the exInterplay staff.

Wildstar Demonstration with Developer Commentary - gamescom 2011

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 18, 2011, 05:31 Kedyn

That's a troll from Dark Age of Camelot. Mythic should sue - then, finally, maybe they'll make some money.  

24. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 22:11 shul

It looks like a mashup of firefly, full throttle, other MMOs and did I see the giant somewhere there??

also, spam on blues, that's a new one.. ;-)

23. removed Aug 17, 2011, 21:42 posd

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 18, 2011, 01:44.

22. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 21:27 Cutter

Wow, it really does look like WoW for tweens.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

21. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 20:46 Ruffiana

Gameplay video:  

20. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 19:25 Nate

Zanthar wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 18:55:
NCsoft just keeps shoveling out that shit.

Guild Wars, City of Heroes, Lineage II. And then of course we will have Guild Wars 2 and now WildStar. These are do do?

19. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 19:11 Stormsinger

kanniballl wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:09:
-EDIT-

Just watched part of the trailer instead of relying on the pic

OK, it's more sci-fi than I thought. But if you're going to distinguish yourself from the fantasy MMO's by going the sci-fi route, I suggest emphasizing the differences more. Instead of rocky terrain and simple analogs for sorceress and barbarian/troll, maybe something that looks more space-y.

Like a abandoned futuristic city with metal, and the heroes not wearing what might as well be WoW clothes with the occasional LED.

But that's just my opinion: why bother going the sci-fi route to be different, if so much of it's going to be the same.

It's not science fiction. It's space-opera. Big difference.

Space-opera really is just fantasy set in space. So naturally you get what you see here...same old same old, with a new background image.

18. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 18:55 Zanthar

NCsoft just keeps shoveling out that shit.  

17. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 18:31 Frijoles

It's about time we had a fury MMO. erm, I mean. Yeah.  

16. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 16:18 VultureMAN

Tabula Rasa refurbed!

15. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 13:50 Tumbler

Hmm...

I hope you're making a movie...because that part looked awesome. The rest...maybe it's F2P?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 13:22 sauron

'Hey, what if we mixed FFXII and WoW, and turned it into a new IP?'

It does look kind of appealing though - I could probably play it.

Kittens!

13. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 13:20 Cutter

There's a reason it's PEGI 12 and it's because it's a game for tweens.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 13:03 Burrito of Peace

Resurrected Tabula Rasa huh?  

11. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 12:50 Doombringer

Wow. Most of you people are joyless, jaded twats. This trailer wasn't bad at all.  

10. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 11:53 Wolfen

Xirgu wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:18:
where do people get the time to play mmorpgs I wonder.. and imho swords and spaceships dont mix..

Right... that is why Star Wars was such a failure.

9. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 11:27 Creston

Xirgu wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:18:
where do people get the time to play mmorpgs I wonder.. and imho swords and spaceships dont mix..

Remember when you were a teenager, and the absolute OCEANS of free time you had? That's where.

Creston

8. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 11:26 Creston

creatorswhim wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:09:
Did you guys ever think that maybe they weren't making this game for YOU?

And did you ever think that maybe people just comment on stuff "just cause?"

Creston

7. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 11:24 JoeNapalm

MacLeod wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:15:
I guess I'm getting too old that it's actually annoying me with all the gratuitous T&A in EVERY game nowadays. I saw sci-fi MMO and my initial reaction was "Cool!", clicked on the first screenshot and saw a girl with short-shorts, low-cut top and bunny ears... *sighs*

Of all the things about this that could annoy me...

...the chick with bunny ears didn't make the list.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo