Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: etc. Aug 18, 2011, 10:36 Ant

I stopped buying games. I can't even find time to play betas, demos, etc. I do play Flash games here and there since they are short and one plays usually.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: etc. Aug 18, 2011, 06:56 jimnms

I have too many unfinished/unplayed games because I have too damn many of them. Steam isn't helping with their $5-$10 sales. Then I went in with a friend and bought Minecraft over the weekend with the 2-for-1 sale, and have played nothing but Minecraft since then. Who'd have though such a simple game could be so damn addicting. It's worse than Civilization's "one more turn" syndrome, now it's "as soon as I finish this I'll qui... oooh what's that!"  

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: etc. Aug 17, 2011, 20:11 Sepharo

I'm too lazy to play my games unfortunately.

I waste my free time watching Hulu/YouTube, reading Wikipedia and yall's posts.

My Steam stats make me sad because I spend far more time reading and discussing about games than actually playing them.

Damn you work and non-gaming weekends! I don't wanna go to your dumb wedding this weekend, I wanna play games!

3. why not finish video games? Aug 17, 2011, 19:27 Jim

Here's my list:

1. Knowing how to solve a level/puzzle, but after 5 attempts still cannot get through it.
2. Times missions, having to complete a set of tasks within a certain, very restrictive amount of time (see #1).
3. Having to start at the beginning of a level/area after dying and not being able to make a save point.
4. Repetitive crap or unnecessary difficulty without much creativity (takes 50 rockets to kill something).
5. Linearity and/or lack of openendedness.

Surprisingly, Half-Life 2 exhibited at least 2 of these, but still kept me engaged enough to finish the game more than once.

I like to be challenged, but not frustrated. I pretty much know what to look for nowadays which results in my not buying many games because I know I won't finish or enjoy them fully.

Jim

2. Re: etc. Aug 17, 2011, 18:38 xXBatmanXx

That article about why people don't finish games is pretty good. I guess it covered everything we have talked about, but at the same time it isn't good news for us that actually CARE about quality and price vs content.

The future of gaming is what CoD is doing - and that sucks.

For some odd reason, they didn't cover my #1 for not completing a game: It sucks.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

1. re: why most people don't finish video games Aug 17, 2011, 12:08 Shok

I can honestly say I don't finish games most of the time. I usually get bored or put it off until a bug is patched. And if the patch makes my savegame useless I definitely won't replay the same parts.

I think the only game I've finished in the last few years is Portal 2. Even that one I didn't finish all the co-op though so I guess it's not technically complete. I've tried to play through HL2 a few times but just lose interest at a certain point. I played the hell out of Just Cause 2 also but finally gave up trying to complete it because the repetition of missions got boring.

I hope Deus Ex keeps me engaged but even if I get 20-30 hours of gaming out of it I think that's worth it.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo