Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We got a new subwoofer some time ago after the old one started to make more and more frequent loud "bumps" that were not supposed to be part of the audio. As a result, I had the old one sitting around getting in my way as I tried to figure out how best to recycle it. Okay, that's not accurate, it was actually sitting around while I planned to some day get around to figuring that out. Last week I decided to put it out by the curb to see if this would inspire someone to take it away, if not to use it as it was, maybe to recycle the case, make use of the 12" driver within, or at least play with the giant magnet in the driver. When I lived within New York City proper, such an item would have been gone as soon as it was set out, but here in the 'burbs, it sat for a couple of days undisturbed. Then the rains came and it got poured on for close to 48 straight hours, so I decided I'd leave it out until it dried off so I could stash it somewhere and resume planning to plan to recycle it. So of course, given the perverse way the world seems to work, as soon as the weather cleared, someone grabbed the now-soggy subwoofer. Maybe they were just waiting for mother nature to wash it off?

Clean Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Nitro in Pipe Land.
Links: How to Win at Rock, Paper, Scissors.
Doctor Who’s ‘Let’s Kill Hitler’ Prequel. Thanks dakslf.
Stories: Mean People Earn More, Study Finds. Thanks Neatorama
Media: The fastest radio-controlled airplane you’ve ever seen. Thanks nin via Digg.
Air Swimmers. Thanks Robert.
Famous optical illusion -- live.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2011, 10:28 nin

Yeah, I should have gone for Prototype, but I forgot to snag it last night, and I'm at work now.

Plus, I spent way too much on Muse shirts yesterday, since they were buy 2 get 1 free...

Oh well. There's always the xmas sale.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2011, 10:23 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 18:54:
Sent in a story about Arma2 being free - maybe it didn't get posted as it was revealed already? Not sure.

Anyway. Was going to put some time into this site: http://www.backloggery.com/ to try and motivate myself to start picking away at my backlog of games. I think with a list I would do better than just feeling overwhelmed.

I gave that a shot but its too much of a hassle to keep updated constantly. A more simplistic but easier to work with option is just downloading a StickyNotes widget for Windows 7. I just have a post-it with my games list, its made it a lot easier to keep track of my backlog and work through it.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 20:44 The Half Elf

Ok Blue those Air Swimmers are awesome, I am going to be the best uncle EVER this xmas.

Prototype is a very balls to the walls action game, while Infamous is more of a swimmer but had a better story.

Would love for Infamous to come to the PC.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 19:16 Jim

Five bucks says it got wallsocketed, especially as it was performing poorly before it got rained on.

I've owned many sets of computer speakers and they all sucked. I even spent 200 bones on a "good" set once, only to find out that they required a custom software driver that didn't get supported after a year or so. Next version of Windows they got junked. Now I just accept the fact that computer speakers are trash and never spend more than $20 on them. Someday I'll put together a decent home theater system and get some good speakers, but my old Sharp 27" tube TV still plays good for now....

Jim

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 19:09  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 18:54:
Sent in a story about Arma2 being free - maybe it didn't get posted as it was revealed already? Not sure.

Yeah, that's the reason.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/122564/arma-2-free-announced
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/123024/arma-2-free-open-beta-begins

I didn't reply because the site was non-responsive for me earleir, so I needed to make sure there wasn't some new news like it being out of "beta" or something.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 18:58 MajorD

Ironically I just got my subwoofer repaired for my PC. I have a Creative GigaWorks 750, which I love, but you can't find them anywhere now except Craig's List of eBay if you are lucky. Everything else is in great condition and it still sounds great, so I couldn't justify replacing it. So, after calling around I found someone local who works out of his garage and had it repaired for $100, which for me is well worth it for this system, especially since 7.1 surround sound systems for the PC are pretty much nonexistent now......

For those still reading, and curious, it was a voltage regulator and a few capacitors.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 18:54 xXBatmanXx

Anyway. Was going to put some time into this site: http://www.backloggery.com/ to try and motivate myself to start picking away at my backlog of games. I think with a list I would do better than just feeling overwhelmed.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 18:53 xXBatmanXx

Here in Minneapolis THEY TAKE EVERYTHING!

If they don't pick it up on garbage day, they leave a little yellow sticker on it that says "We will be back later with a bigger truck".

All of the above is true, if the scavengers don't get it within 4 minutes of me setting something out there. It is crazy here.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 17:47 Cutter

You sound like my buddy. He's always in the right place at the right time for this sort of stuff. So far this summer he netted a virtually new Weber BBQ and a commercial dishwasher which he sold for a quick grand, and a slew of other things too.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 13:29 sauron

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 10:58:
If you'd pulled that stunt in my old neighborhood, some old crone would have rung your doorbell to bitch at you about "littering" within approximately 8.72 seconds.

Creston

Folks here in NYC toss all sorts of stuff and I've become pretty adept at grabbing it quick. DVD player, fur coat, desktop computer, swiss army knife, brand new UGG boots, brand new snow boots for the kids - I've pulled all those things out of the recycling or off the kerb in the last 12 months.

Actually, last month renters in my building moved out and dumped a full size mountain bike in the recycling (Iron Horse AT50 steelframe). All that was missing was the back shifter and cable.

I took it to the bike store for replacement and tuneup. $40 dollars later, I now ride it around Central Park on a regular basis to get my exercise.

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 13:09 Xirgu

personally I loved prototype. one of very few games I have actually finished lately.<didnt do all the quests though, but spent a loooong time just running around treating it like a sandbox... no hurry to complete quests..> definitely worth 10$  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 12:17 PHJF

Prototype was solid on the PC. I dropped $50 for it and didn't feel ripped off, so knock yourself out at $10.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 11:56 kanniballl

nin wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:06:
I see Prototype is on sale on steam for $10. Worth it? I also hear the pc version is buggy - thoughts?

Thx!

I heard it wan't bad. I've read back-and-forth arguments about which was better: Infamous or Prototype... I *think* Prototype seemed to have more supporters since people called Infamous more of a shooter... but with electricity.

But I have no idea on how stable the PC version is.

And I never played it, myself.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 11:19 kanniballl

Different areas have different garbage pick-up rules and different "customs." My neighbors wouldn't complain unless it was for weeks or looked horrible. But it also wouldn't get picked up due to us being on a quiet street that doesn't really go anywhere.

We're not really supposed to leave the big stuff like that out for regular trash pick-up. We have scheduled times during the year for that. So the garbage men / town might complain before the neighbors.

Meanwhile a co-worker's town will pick up anything left at the curb... even the big stuff. So she was surprised when I was telling her we were holding onto some stuff till Spring Cleaning day.

Places with more traffic, stuff can disappear in 1-2 days... if not minutes/hours. I imagine main-drags and cities are more common for this.

Maybe they didn't know it was wet, or didn't care. Maybe they just want to salvage it for the copper and such.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2011, 11:36.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 11:06 nin

I see Prototype is on sale on steam for $10. Worth it? I also hear the pc version is buggy - thoughts?

Thx!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 11:03 Xirgu

you can create a cajon with one, cool musical instrument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caj%C3%B3n

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 10:58 Creston

If you'd pulled that stunt in my old neighborhood, some old crone would have rung your doorbell to bitch at you about "littering" within approximately 8.72 seconds.

Creston

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 10:39 nin

I had to replace my computer speakers last weekend, after the subwoofer started making all kinds of weird assed noises.

Thankfully, the new set has behaved. So I continue to hope it was the speakers themselves, and not the onboard audio.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo