Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 22:59 Wowbagger_TIP

If add-ons are breaking, it's the add-ons' fault. They get months of notice about breaking changes. Mozilla checks all the add-ons that are hosted with them too. If they're hosted elsewhere, they can't check those. If the add-ons are actually checking version numbers themselves, then they're doing it wrong.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 13:48 Verno

Spergin about version numbers.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 13:43 Pankin

jimnms wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 03:22:
Mozilla's products have gone to shit since they're new version number scheme. What really pushed my button was Thunderbird going from 3.6.x to 5.0 and the shitty Aero theme the put on it. There were so many threads on their support forum about not being able to see shit because it made the menus and buttons transparent. Finally someone put out a new theme that disabled the Aero transparency and made it look like 3.6.

Now Firefox and Thunderbird 6.0 come out today, Thunderbird's default theme still looks like transparent ass, and after upgrading to Firefox 6 I have several addons that don't work (just like when they went from 4.0 to 5.0). If I'm going to have to go through this shit every update, I'm going to start looking for a new browser and email client.

they're = they are. Always, always, always.

their = possessive (what you meant to use)

And yes, I agree with you. I switched to Chrome a year back or so and I've been quite happy with it.

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 11:08 Creston

Just switched to 6. All my add-ons still work, fortunately, except for a java snapin, and FUCK java.

But yeah, I can imagine that if you use a particular add-on that keeps dying everytime they make an update, it can get pretty damn annoying. Not only that, but how long are people going to keep making add-ons if Mozilla will just break them every 2 months.

OMG LOOK TEH GOOGLE IS DOING MAJOR VERSIONZ EVERY THREE MONTHS WE MUST FFOLLOW LOL!

I liked their old system better, though I have to admit that it's become a much better browser since they started doing this.

Creston

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 10:32 nin

I refused to upgrade with Firefox v3.6.18

That's what I'm using here.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 10:30 Ant

I refused to upgrade with Firefox v3.6.18 and SeaMonkey v2.0.14.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 10:11 Shadowcat

gilly775 wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 08:34:
What? You expect your addon to work every time a new browser update it released? It's ALWAYS been that way.
Except that before Mozilla switched their version numbering to the new Meaningless Bollocks format, the extension authors actually had some hope of estimating and specifying which future versions of Firefox would still be compatible with their extension.

Now they have absolutely no clue, because every tiny little update is a new major version, and who knows what the fuck may or may not have changed internally.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 10:08 reisub

No issues here with the latest Firefox or Thunderbird. Tried forcing the add-ons? They usually work.  

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 08:34 gilly775

jimnms wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 03:22:
Mozilla's products have gone to shit since they're new version number scheme. What really pushed my button was Thunderbird going from 3.6.x to 5.0 and the shitty Aero theme the put on it. There were so many threads on their support forum about not being able to see shit because it made the menus and buttons transparent. Finally someone put out a new theme that disabled the Aero transparency and made it look like 3.6.

Now Firefox and Thunderbird 6.0 come out today, Thunderbird's default theme still looks like transparent ass, and after upgrading to Firefox 6 I have several addons that don't work (just like when they went from 4.0 to 5.0). If I'm going to have to go through this shit every update, I'm going to start looking for a new browser and email client.

What? You expect your addon to work every time a new browser update it released? It's ALWAYS been that way. If Mozilla handed out every new version of FF to addon developers prior to releasing it to the general public, we'd be waiting longer! Rolleyes

2. removed Aug 17, 2011, 03:40 moncler145

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 17, 2011, 07:25.

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 17, 2011, 03:22 jimnms

MeanJim on Steam

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo