Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots

A new Squad Leader Trailer from Mass Effect 3 is part one of the combat reveal from BioWare's upcoming action/RPG sequel, as it shows Shepard and his squad fighting a Cerberus assault, culminating in a firefight against a mech. There are also new screenshots from the game on Twitpic: one, two, three, four, five of them to be precise. Here's the embedded trailer.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 17, 2011, 11:23 Creston

peteham wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 08:12:
Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 00:18:
Haha, yep, except that in some cases there were no rooftops to be found. And yeah, if every battle has a Cerberus assault droid in it, it'll get boring, but I doubt that. It's more of a mini-boss, plus you can snipe the dude out of the cockpit and use the bot yourself, so it'll likely be a pretty rare encounter.
The cerberus regulars also appear to have jetpacks in the video, though. One appears at 0:35, not quite dropping out of orbit, but rather from the "2nd floor" of stacked galactic standard-containers As long as that's only done "up-front" to set up the fight, as it were, allowing you to gauge the level of opposition somewhat accurately, I'm totally fine with it.. It would be no worse than enemies coming out of doors in the distance in ME2 or any other first person shooter. Just as long as they don't pull a DA2. I envision glorious fights with five dudes, another five dudes, yet another wave of five dudes, and then five more for good measure. Preferably appearing behind you while fighting two YMIR mechs on insanity.

I sure hope to fuck they've realized that everybody hates that horseshit and won't fuck up ME3 with it...

Then again, Bioware has an absolutely AMAZING capacity for self-deception, so who knows.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 17, 2011, 08:12 peteham

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 00:18:
Haha, yep, except that in some cases there were no rooftops to be found. And yeah, if every battle has a Cerberus assault droid in it, it'll get boring, but I doubt that. It's more of a mini-boss, plus you can snipe the dude out of the cockpit and use the bot yourself, so it'll likely be a pretty rare encounter.
The cerberus regulars also appear to have jetpacks in the video, though. One appears at 0:35, not quite dropping out of orbit, but rather from the "2nd floor" of stacked galactic standard-containers As long as that's only done "up-front" to set up the fight, as it were, allowing you to gauge the level of opposition somewhat accurately, I'm totally fine with it.. It would be no worse than enemies coming out of doors in the distance in ME2 or any other first person shooter. Just as long as they don't pull a DA2. I envision glorious fights with five dudes, another five dudes, yet another wave of five dudes, and then five more for good measure. Preferably appearing behind you while fighting two YMIR mechs on insanity.

16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 17, 2011, 00:18 Creston

peteham wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 19:49:
Technically, if you stretched it one MIGHT say they jumped down from rooftops etc

Then again, what's going to matter is how this is implemented. Logical or no, if a great number of encounters are based around waves of jetpack-troopers dropping from the sky, it's going to suck. If the mechanic is used sparingly, it might not be so bad..

Creston

15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 22:06 Mashiki Amiketo

peteham wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 19:49:
Technically, if you stretched it one MIGHT say they jumped down from rooftops etc

Hey. I saw some rooftops. Damn campers.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. removed Aug 16, 2011, 19:59 sdifj

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 16, 2011, 20:09.

13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 19:49 peteham

Creston wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 18:45:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:45:
Wait. Did I just see "spawning" enemies jumping out from the sky? Didn't they learn *not* to do that from DA2?

An assault bot that drops into a middle of a battle, to me, is logical. Five archers that fall out of the sky right beside your mage is not.

I doubt Bioware understands the difference, but they were very good with enemy reinforcements and how they entered the fray in ME2, so hopefully they haven't forgotten. (or, rather, hopefully Casey Hudson tells that Dragon Age 2 dipshit producer to get FAR FAR away from this game.)

Creston

Then again, what's going to matter is how this is implemented. Logical or no, if a great number of encounters are based around waves of jetpack-troopers dropping from the sky, it's going to suck. If the mechanic is used sparingly, it might not be so bad..

12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 19:30 finga

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 14:54:
Yeah I wasn't really feeling that at all either. One new move and some better weaponry was all that seemed interesting there. I hope the two years went to story and stuff instead because the combat was already decently refined in the second game barring some interface stuff.

Agreed. The E3 demo was promising on this front, and it did have story content.

Gameplay trailers are always going to be action-heavy, and ME1 and 2 both had similar trailers without much story in them. I'd really like for ME3 to have at least one good few-minute-long trailer with some important story elements, though. I know that EA wants BioWare to pull in new gamers and not just the current fanbase, but give us loyal fans a bone here.

11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 19:08 ZeroCougar

Anything new for ME gets me excited, even if I see flaws in it, not to mention the whole Origin thing attached to this game now.

But I can't wait to play it. I need closure for the series's story plot, my 6 individual character play-through's demand it.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 18:45 Creston

Wait. Did I just see "spawning" enemies jumping out from the sky? Didn't they learn *not* to do that from DA2?

An assault bot that drops into a middle of a battle, to me, is logical. Five archers that fall out of the sky right beside your mage is not.

I doubt Bioware understands the difference, but they were very good with enemy reinforcements and how they entered the fray in ME2, so hopefully they haven't forgotten. (or, rather, hopefully Casey Hudson tells that Dragon Age 2 dipshit producer to get FAR FAR away from this game.)

Creston

9. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 18:43 Creston

LordCrew wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:31:
Actually this trailer was made for GamesCom which is a german trade fair. In most european countries date format is 'day-month-year' so it means March 9th 2012 for ME3 european release date.

Ahhh, that would explain it. Thanks LordCrew.

Creston

8. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 18:01 Asmo

At least orbital insertion troops are vaguely contextual... =)

Mebbe it's just because I've always played femshep but the guy voicing Sheppard sounds like a jock douchebag...

"Oh you've burned his face off... NICE!"

7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 17:45 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 17:31 LordCrew

Actually this trailer was made for GamesCom which is a german trade fair. In most european countries date format is 'day-month-year' so it means March 9th 2012 for ME3 european release date.  

5. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 17:26 Creston

Eh... 9-3-12? So it's been delayed until September next year?

Damn...

Well, good on the one hand, because at least it won't suffer from Dragon Age 2 Syndrome. But that's still a long fucking wait.

As for the trailer, eh. It's ME2 combat with beefier sound effects. I'm not sure why they feel the need to pimp the combat. People know what they're going to get. Most everyone who will play ME3 will do so because they want to see the Reapers invade, and they want to see how the story ends.

So I'd play up that angle in my videos. Of course, marketing is in the hands of the five year olds at EA, for whom a great trailer is one "Where stuff goes kabloom and kersplat! It's the contemporary feculence!"

Did like the increased squad banter, though. I hope that's not just something they put in the trailer.

Creston

4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 16:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Man, anytime I see anything on the Mass Effect series, I just think of how much BETTER these games would have all been, in more of a BG2 combat style, with updated engine/graphics of course.

The last thing the world needed was another crappy cover based shooter, seriously. 6 person party tactical combat in a future setting could have blown every other game out of the water.

Poor choice from Bioware, but they've been on a downhill slide since the first one came out.

3. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 16:46 Doma

So...was this series a RPG at one point?

This looks like gears of war.

2. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 14:54 Verno

Yeah I wasn't really feeling that at all either. One new move and some better weaponry was all that seemed interesting there. I hope the two years went to story and stuff instead because the combat was already decently refined in the second game barring some interface stuff.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2011, 15:03.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 14:45 Fion

Meh...  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo