Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer

A new trailer from Battlefield 3 shown today at Gamescom features 64-player combat on the Caspian border multiplayer map in DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. The clip has some vehicular action and finally shows off some jet combat from the game. The embedded version follows.

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 17, 2011, 22:01 ^Drag0n^

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 22:46:
Wow, that engine looks amazing. I haven't been that impressed by a trailer in a while.

You need to check out the latest Skyrim trailer, mate.

If this impresses you, the Skyrim trailer will blow your mind away.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 17, 2011, 12:25 Verno

I wish that had been my experience. Most of the time I end up on the team with those snipers while the other team has 3-4 squads of people actually accomplishing objectives. The only time I ever had any fun in BC2 was when I was playing with friends. In the older BF games there just seemed to be more teamwork in general although admittedly there were many lone wolf players too.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

64. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 17, 2011, 03:17 xXBatmanXx

entr0py wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 02:25:
I think the idea that most players are snipers is very rarely true. I agree it's frustrating when it happens, but it rarely does.

In the BF3 Alpha they had an official poll with over 7 thousand responses, and recon was by far the least popular of the four classes, with only 12% of people saying they preferred to play it. Assault had over 40%.

Having logged hundreds of hours into BFBC2 - my experience is that roughly 50-60% of each team plays as sniper with little to no movement on the points to capture. You will have maybe 1 squad that is using tactics and trying for the point - otherwise it is a pubbin mess of a game.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

63. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 17, 2011, 02:25 entr0py

I think the idea that most players are snipers is very rarely true. I agree it's frustrating when it happens, but it rarely does.

In the BF3 Alpha they had an official poll with over 7 thousand responses, and recon was by far the least popular of the four classes, with only 12% of people saying they preferred to play it. Assault had over 40%.

62. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 17, 2011, 01:19 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 22:13:
You didn't show people that Dead Island cinematic?

1-2 people moving forward, while the rest snipe from back of the map and the rest grief the choppers.

I think that was a consequence of that stupid Rush mode. In a traditional BF map (like this is supposed to be) I doubt there would be much of that.

I ONLY play Conquest - any other way isn't BF.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

61. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 17, 2011, 00:55 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 22:09:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 21:58:
This is one of those videos that I even show non-gamers.

Last one I can remember like that was GDC Spore, of course not the actual Spore.

??...Wow. I can't believe i am the first to bring up "Another ADD video brought to you by EA/Dice."

Although it looks like a lot of fun, they aren't sucking me in. I canceled mine - going to stick with that. This is how they showed the battles in BFBC2, but what does it end up being? 1-2 people moving forward, while the rest snipe from back of the map and the rest grief the choppers.

I am sure it will be the same.

Eh rereading it now that comment sounds more gushy than I intended it to be but I still mean it.

I'm not really commenting on the game itself or even the presentation of the trailer so much (ugh hyper cutting) but rather how even the layperson can probably appreciate it. There's a lot of awesome shit going on in that 2 minutes and with 64 players, a big map, tons of vehicles, and jets. All of course while looking beautiful.

60. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 23:20 Wildone

ok I understand what you mean, I like and play sims & games like BF2/BF3 and I was happy with the it generally, maybe give the jets a chance to defend themselves a bit better with flares/chaff and give me trackIR support I'd be happy with that.  

59. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 22:46 jdreyer

Wow, that engine looks amazing. I haven't been that impressed by a trailer in a while. Not only do the graphics look fantastic, but the scale looks huge and epic. And game play looks similar to BFBC2, which is good, b/c the gameplay in that game rocks.

Hope that they take the fully destructible environment as far as they can. Is that fire part of the level, or created dynamically during the battle? Hope the latter.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

58. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 22:13 PHJF

You didn't show people that Dead Island cinematic?

1-2 people moving forward, while the rest snipe from back of the map and the rest grief the choppers.

I think that was a consequence of that stupid Rush mode. In a traditional BF map (like this is supposed to be) I doubt there would be much of that.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

57. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 22:12 Krovven

CommunistHamster wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 20:18:

I never had a problem with joystick support in BF2, 'Nam or 1942, Saitek Cyborg Evo and later X-52 Pro.

Bad Company 2 was the first game to not have proper joystick support.

56. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 22:09 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 21:58:

Last one I can remember like that was GDC Spore, of course not the actual Spore.

??...Wow. I can't believe i am the first to bring up "Another ADD video brought to you by EA/Dice."

Although it looks like a lot of fun, they aren't sucking me in. I canceled mine - going to stick with that. This is how they showed the battles in BFBC2, but what does it end up being? 1-2 people moving forward, while the rest snipe from back of the map and the rest grief the choppers.

I am sure it will be the same.

55. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 21:58 Sepharo

54. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 21:37 Veinman

Holy fuck, does that game look amazing!  

53. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 21:17 CommunistHamster

It's realistic for combined arms games, obviously if you want actual realism you'd go play LOMAC or whatever flight sim is best these days.

The differences between Arma and BF2 jets is mostly one of scale rather than flight model accuracy, arma jets fly higher, further and faster and are consequently much further removed from the ground than in BF2 (which is an improvement in terms of theatre modelling), where it feels like you can reach out and touch the jets, where they do ridiculous stuff like fly under bridges.

The point I'm making is that realism arguments have almost no place in Battlefield, especially air combat.

52. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 21:06 Wildone

I heard that ignorant comment before 'if you want realism, go play Arma2' because it isn't any more realistic than BF2's jets where..1 button lock on/fire, virtually no stalling, simplified flight mechanics. Same as BF2. My god if you call that realistic I shudder to think what arcade is then?!!  

51. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 20:18 CommunistHamster

I never had a problem with joystick support in BF2, 'Nam or 1942, Saitek Cyborg Evo and later X-52 Pro.

Jets absolutely should fly slow and dogfight with cannon. In fact, guided missiles should be removed as they are boring. Battlefield is arcade fun. If you want realism, go play Arma 2.

50. removed Aug 16, 2011, 20:02 sdifj

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 16, 2011, 20:08.

49. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 18:04 DangerDog

elefunk wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:57:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:34:
There was a large number of people requesting the return to the "commo rose" type system from BF2 in the Alpha, people making up mock graphics overlaid on top of BF3 screenshots, hundreds of "me too" posts from people trying to get attention from DICE - who didn't interact at all on the forums. It's not going to happen though because it would disrupt the cross platform design too drastically.

Unless the Alpha was really old code stripped to the bare minimum or they've been pulling 24 hour shifts at DICE we'll be lucky to see options to adjust the graphics beyond your resolution and texture detail settings - for example.

The whole thing was extremely "streamlined" and the biggest disappointment was seeing what they've done to the squad system, it was just one step above the "automatic" squading system they used in Medal of Honor multiplayer.
Actually...

1) They confirmed that the PC version *will* have a commo rose: http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/commo-rose-confirmed-for-battlefield-3/

2) The Alpha was *obviously* stripped down from the final game, just like the Bad Company 2 was stripped down. Probably intentionally, since graphical fidelity wasn't the focus of alpha testing.

I can't believe people have forgotten how terrible the Bad Company beta was compared to the final release. And that was only a month and a half before the game came out. The alpha was released far earlier for Battlefield 3 than the beta was for Bad Company 2. A ridiculous shit load of still will change and massively improve for the final.

That is AMAZING, I really am shocked that they're doing that. I'm mainly pessimistic because of the time frame they're dealing with between the Alpha and final release. Usually most game design decisions are locked down by the time they reach Alpha, no amount of community bitching gets things changed - usually.

Let's hope they fix the squad system from what they had in the Alpha, definitely a higher priority than the commo rose.

and this too..

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/380/originy.jpg

48. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 17:57 elefunk

DangerDog wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:34:
There was a large number of people requesting the return to the "commo rose" type system from BF2 in the Alpha, people making up mock graphics overlaid on top of BF3 screenshots, hundreds of "me too" posts from people trying to get attention from DICE - who didn't interact at all on the forums. It's not going to happen though because it would disrupt the cross platform design too drastically.

Unless the Alpha was really old code stripped to the bare minimum or they've been pulling 24 hour shifts at DICE we'll be lucky to see options to adjust the graphics beyond your resolution and texture detail settings - for example.

The whole thing was extremely "streamlined" and the biggest disappointment was seeing what they've done to the squad system, it was just one step above the "automatic" squading system they used in Medal of Honor multiplayer.
Actually...

1) They confirmed that the PC version *will* have a commo rose: http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/commo-rose-confirmed-for-battlefield-3/

2) The Alpha was *obviously* stripped down from the final game, just like the Bad Company 2 was stripped down. Probably intentionally, since graphical fidelity wasn't the focus of alpha testing.

I can't believe people have forgotten how terrible the Bad Company beta was compared to the final release. And that was only a month and a half before the game came out. The alpha was released far earlier for Battlefield 3 than the beta was for Bad Company 2. A ridiculous shit load of still will change and massively improve for the final.

47. Re: Battlefield 3 Jet Combat Trailer Aug 16, 2011, 17:34 DangerDog

entr0py wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:13:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 16:26:
Yeah, we'll be "lucky" to see any proper joystick support beyond a xbox controller hooked up to Windows.

I think they won't have a choice but to work on the joystick support. With BFBC2 you could mouse and keyboard pilot the helicopters at an adequate level, if not a skilled one. But jets are another story, a mouse and keyboard just isn't going to cut it.

Hopefully the PC beta will feature a 64 player conquest map with jets. I don't want to see the rage that will ensue if it's another 32 player infantry map.

I would be pleasantly surprised to see proper joystick support, throttle and rudder pedals and all. I just don't see this happening because they really seem to be into this mode of design philosophy of cross platform development "streamlining" to accommodate PC and Console gamers while just making some things "bigger" on the PC version such as the maps and number of players.

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo