Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans

At GDC Europe/Gamescom in Cologne Mike Capps today announced Epic is hard at work on Unreal Engine 4 and has five new games in development, with Develop quoting the Epic president explaining that Epic now has a renewed focus on the PC, saying: "The PC has for too long been a port-to platform." Details on the five games and their target platforms are not offered, but a post on GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) has further quotes from Capps' keynote suggesting that these will not all be full-scale AAA projects, as he says: "At Epic we didn't multiply the studio size by five when we started working on these multiple projects, so you can make some assumptions about the size of those projects." Here's more of his explanation of the new landscape of game development:

"Everyone knows the middle class is disappearing from the console business. Gears of War, I hope will do really well, but a pretty good game doesn't make its money back any more. A game like Homefront sells a couple of million copies and they close the studio, right?

"That's not enough any more. That's pretty depressing. You don't want to see what happens to an industry where it's Call of Duty, Halo and Gears and no-one else has enough money to make any games any more. That's not a fun industry.

"I can't bet my entire company every time I make a game, that's a really dangerous business," Capps added.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 20, 2011, 03:22 Beaner

Wasnt it epic not too long ago who basically said the PC is no longer their focus? So I guess PC gaming isn't dead. Oh Epic.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 17, 2011, 05:55 Muscular Beaver

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 16:45:
Hump wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:19:
want to make profitable games? Don't go public. Don't answer to shareholders. Stop paying management far more money than those who do the actual work. Put managements offices in the same room as the work being done. Once you start building washrooms that are management only you are wasting money on a system of elitist assholes who are being paid far more than they're worth. Management shouldn't be above washing toilets or fetching coffee. In the end, a room full of management can't make anything other than paperwork. A studio full of artists, coders etc can organize enough to get a game made.

A agree pretty much up to the point where PM is deemed unnecessary overhead.

Having been on both sides of the line, all I can say is this: your perspective changes radically when you realize that the very livelihood of the people you have working on your project is, quite literally, in the hands of every decision you make as a producer or owner of a studio. You need to have a plan or structure, or you risk everyone's prosperity.

While it's noble to stick to your guns on artistic vision, that means very little when the project runs out of money because no one was bean counting. And that happens, whether your studio is private, co-op, or public.

A lot.

^D^

Of course there have to be organizing jobs. Nothing works without organizing and counting money. But thats no excuse to pay those people FAR FAR more than they are worth. What would work more likely? Workers without organisation so they have to start organizing themselves, or organisers without workers and they have to start working themselves?
Should be pretty much DUHey.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

33. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 23:15 jdreyer

If Epic is working on a new Unreal Engine, I wonder if next gen consoles are around the corner. I'm not a console guy, but it would make PC ports better...  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

32. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 21:52 jdreyer

Bumpy wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 13:07:
Prime example of how NOT to make a PC game - Unreal Tournament 3.

What was wrong with UT3? I mean other than it being an evolution of previous UTs. Great engine, fun gameplay, stable. I had a lot of fun with it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: removed Aug 16, 2011, 21:30 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 20:22:
I would gladly play BulletStork.

UnRealComplex for me. Oh, wait...I have that already...

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

30. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 21:08 Ashley

CommunistHamster wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 20:26:
Ashley, that's just the shitty tabloid-style editors at the Escapist making a headline that will successfully troll their retarded forum members into chewing through 400 posts of recycled console vs PC argument.

I don't understand. Are you saying that Mr Capps did not say that.

29. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 20:26 CommunistHamster

Ashley, that's just the shitty tabloid-style editors at the Escapist making a headline that will successfully troll their retarded forum members into chewing through 400 posts of recycled console vs PC argument.  

28. Re: removed Aug 16, 2011, 20:22 Beamer

I would gladly play BulletStork.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. removed Aug 16, 2011, 20:02 sdifj

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 16, 2011, 20:07.

26. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 19:24 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 19:02:
Here are your choices:
Bulletstorm
Epic Pinball
Extreme Pinball
Infinity Blade
Jill of the Jungle
Kiloblaster
Shadow Complex
Silverball
Solar Winds
Super ZZT
Xargon
ZZT
Unreal (Return to Na Pali)
Tournament (2003 · 2004 · 3)
Championship (2: The Liandri Conflict)
Gears of War series
Jazz Jackrabbit

What will come out of it?
Bulletstorm 2
Bulletstorm 3
Bulletstorm 4

GoW 4
Gow 5

Maybe an Unreal....

**yawn**

Man I remember enjoying a lot of those. Jill of the Jungle, Solar Winds, Kiloblaster, Jazz Jackrabbit, etc.

And ZZT games... I even paid people for ZZT adventures. ZZT reminds me of minecraft. Too bad epic didn't keep up development for that.

25. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 19:22 HoSpanky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 19:02:
Bulletstorm 2
Bulletstorm 3
Bulletstorm 4

GoW 4
Gow 5

Maybe an Unreal....

**yawn**

Considering Bulletstorm barely broke even, they may not risk making a second one.

Which is a shame, really... it was one of the most entertaining, if stubbornly juvenile, single player games I've been through in a while. It specifically goes in the exact opposite direction of the Realistic Military Shooters that everyone is pumping out, and EVERY level had a "HOLY SHIT!" moment. Linear, yes. Somewhat short, yes. Absurdly stupid fun, YES.

I'm definitely hoping to see something very different from them in their smaller projects, but I just don't understand the hatred for Bulletstorm.

Oddly, my phone autocorrects "Bulletstorm" to "Bulletstork", and has since well before the game came out. I must have typed it that way ONCE and the phone fell in love with it. I always picture the Vlasic pickle stork armed to the teeth.

24. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 19:02 xXBatmanXx

Here are your choices:
Bulletstorm
Epic Pinball
Extreme Pinball
Infinity Blade
Jill of the Jungle
Kiloblaster
Shadow Complex
Silverball
Solar Winds
Super ZZT
Xargon
ZZT
Unreal (Return to Na Pali)
Tournament (2003 · 2004 · 3)
Championship (2: The Liandri Conflict)
Gears of War series
Jazz Jackrabbit

Bulletstorm 2
Bulletstorm 3
Bulletstorm 4

GoW 4
Gow 5

Maybe an Unreal....

**yawn**

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

23. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 19:00 ^Drag0n^

"Damn you Jon Stewart!"

^D^

22. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 18:37 Ashley

LOL PC plans until the next interview...

From Andy Chalk at The Escapist 17 May 2010

Epic Games President Mike Capps says the studio switched from PC to console development because "the money's on console" and that the future of the PC market lies with games like Farmville.

21. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 16:45 ^Drag0n^

Hump wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:19:
want to make profitable games? Don't go public. Don't answer to shareholders. Stop paying management far more money than those who do the actual work. Put managements offices in the same room as the work being done. Once you start building washrooms that are management only you are wasting money on a system of elitist assholes who are being paid far more than they're worth. Management shouldn't be above washing toilets or fetching coffee. In the end, a room full of management can't make anything other than paperwork. A studio full of artists, coders etc can organize enough to get a game made.

A agree pretty much up to the point where PM is deemed unnecessary overhead.

Having been on both sides of the line, all I can say is this: your perspective changes radically when you realize that the very livelihood of the people you have working on your project is, quite literally, in the hands of every decision you make as a producer or owner of a studio. You need to have a plan or structure, or you risk everyone's prosperity.

While it's noble to stick to your guns on artistic vision, that means very little when the project runs out of money because no one was bean counting. And that happens, whether your studio is private, co-op, or public.

A lot.

^D^

20. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 16:39 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:00:
Beelzebud wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 14:48:
It's worth noting that Homefront used the Unreal Engine, and with the costs associated with that, an indie developer wouldn't be able to afford it without a greedy publisher.

And giving the post everyone expects from me, this is stupidly ignorant. Ignoring UDK, which doesn't give source code access, UE3 is stupidly easy to get. Stupidly. Can't afford to pay for it up front? Give Epic a call and show them that you're serious about getting your game made. They'll cut you a deal for the engine, rather happily working within any budget, and if you want wider distribution they'll happily put you in touch with publishers they work with. If you want to be on Steam they'll happily put you in touch with Valve. If you're having financing issues but don't want a publisher they'll happily find another studio looking to outsource work and get you a short term contract.

So pretty much most of your post is wrong.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything Beemer says here. It's been my experience that Epic is very pro-licensee, and will provide whatever assistance they can to help a struggling developer...probably because a good number of them seem to remember their roots.

^D^

19. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 15:19 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

18. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 15:00 Beamer

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 14:48:
It's worth noting that Homefront used the Unreal Engine, and with the costs associated with that, an indie developer wouldn't be able to afford it without a greedy publisher.

And giving the post everyone expects from me, this is stupidly ignorant. Ignoring UDK, which doesn't give source code access, UE3 is stupidly easy to get. Stupidly. Can't afford to pay for it up front? Give Epic a call and show them that you're serious about getting your game made. They'll cut you a deal for the engine, rather happily working within any budget, and if you want wider distribution they'll happily put you in touch with publishers they work with. If you want to be on Steam they'll happily put you in touch with Valve. If you're having financing issues but don't want a publisher they'll happily find another studio looking to outsource work and get you a short term contract.

So pretty much most of your post is wrong.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 14:48 Beelzebud

This is funny coming from Epic, considering they have become part of the problem they're now complaining about.

As to Homefront... If they hadn't been under the thumb of a greedy publisher, they probably wouldn't have had to fold after selling millions of units. It's worth noting that Homefront used the Unreal Engine, and with the costs associated with that, an indie developer wouldn't be able to afford it without a greedy publisher. Like I said, it's funny coming from Epic considering that they're part of the problem.

16. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 16, 2011, 14:26 ^Drag0n^

bobbyric wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 12:35:
So they haven't increased their developing team but they have 5 games in the works...

I see Iphone games in our future.

I actually really liked their Citadel demo...probably the best FP. Interface I've yet seen on the iPhone. Would love to see it run an episodic RPG.

^D^

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo