Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released

Following an extended beta period, two-man indie studio MinMax Games now offers the release of version 1.0 Space Pirates and Zombies (SPAZ) though Digital Distribution. The Space Pirates And Zombies Demo Page now offers a version 1.0 demo, and the game is now being sold through BMT Micro, Desura, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Green Man Gaming, Impulse, and Steam. Here's word on the game:

Space Pirates and Zombies takes place far enough in the future that Earth has become a toxic backwater planet, so potentially not that far in the future. The galaxy has been colonized by humans, and the only means to travel to new star systems is through highly restricted and well defended warp gates. It is well known that systems closer to the galactic core become richer and richer as well as more scientifically advanced. This has led to theories of a secret system with a cache of treasure or knowledge at the galactic core feeding this growth. As a pirate, you must assemble a fleet and discover what treasure awaits you there.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 23:35 Jerykk

Ouch, Icewind really dropped the ball this time Make sure you know who you're defending before you defend them.

As for SPAZ, I played the demo for a bit and found it enjoyable. I did notice a lot of random, generic side-missions, though, which I'm not a big fan of. I loved Star Control 2 because of its writing and scope. SPAZ has the scope part down but I'm not so sure about the writing.

I'll wait till it drops to $10.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 19:14 yuastnav

Dev wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:20:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 06:19:
Hmm, I think I'll rather wait for Starfarer.
This?
http://fractalsoftworks.com/
That looks pretty cool! And its one of those indie things with buy now at a discount and play beta and get the full thing when it comes out. I'm going to look into it and see if I want to buy it.
Thanks for the heads up on it. Any other interesting games? I'm waiting for project zomboid to be purchasable through paypal (they are putting it on desura and steam shortly), thats another one I have my eye on.

When I was still on the fence whether I should pre-order SPAZ (by that time I've already pre-ordered Starfarer) I went into their IRC channel and asked around. One of them opened a query and told me that I'd better save my money for Starfarer because, while SPAZ is certainly a good game, it wouldn't have such a lasting appeal as Starfarer.
The problem with Starfarer is that it's still in a very early phase and the only thing that's really working so far is the combat (afair) but it promises so much more than SPAZ.
I mean a "open-world single-player space-combat, roleplaying, exploration and economic game" - that almost sounds too good to be true because it's such an ambitious project. Yet I'll stay confident and not only because they also have a Linux client which is also a big plus.
Project Zomboid is definitely worth looking at, too. Since I couldn't buy it through PayPal I went to the forums because a guy offered to buy that game for anyone who wished and have the money transferred to his PayPal account and it worked out fine.
And although I'm really tired of zombie games this one looks really promising because of the great gameplay. Finally a real survival game.

Really looking forward to these games. I'm afraid I don't have any more games on my radar, though.

24. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 18:28 Dev

venomhed wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:41:
Played this game in Beta for about 2 weeks. Really liked it but then I just lost all interest. Became very repetitive very quickly and I just said "There isn't enough content to keep me interested". I really liked Space Rangers 2 though, that game kept my interest for awhile, but its combat was annoying.

Combine Space Rangers 2 + SPAZ and you would have the best space/Starflight game of all time.
Looking over the changelog for the release version of SPAZ, looks like they added a bunch of stuff.

23. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 17:41 venomhed

Played this game in Beta for about 2 weeks. Really liked it but then I just lost all interest. Became very repetitive very quickly and I just said "There isn't enough content to keep me interested". I really liked Space Rangers 2 though, that game kept my interest for awhile, but its combat was annoying.

Combine Space Rangers 2 + SPAZ and you would have the best space/Starflight game of all time.

22. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 17:20 Dev

yuastnav wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 06:19:
This?
http://fractalsoftworks.com/
That looks pretty cool! And its one of those indie things with buy now at a discount and play beta and get the full thing when it comes out. I'm going to look into it and see if I want to buy it.
Thanks for the heads up on it. Any other interesting games? I'm waiting for project zomboid to be purchasable through paypal (they are putting it on desura and steam shortly), thats another one I have my eye on.

21. Re: removed Aug 16, 2011, 10:00 Gojo

Like Star Control? Oooh I'm so gonna try this now. Loved that game.
And on a related note the best band ever (Psychostick) just released they're new album with a remarkably similar title. "Space Vampires vs Zombie Dinosaurs in 3D".
Heh.

=-Gojo-=

20. Re: removed Aug 16, 2011, 09:17 Burrito of Peace

I played the demo and while I appreciated the Star Control feel to it, it still has that weird Eastern European feel to it, especially in the dialogue. It doesn't quite click.

Also, way too many menus and submenus. I should be able to do almost everything from the main game interface.

19. Re: removed Aug 16, 2011, 08:39 gilly775

Might want to check your post. The 1.0 version isn't available on Impulse yet. If you have the Pre-order beta installed, do not uninstall or you may not be able to install it again. As of last night (and apparently the link as well), it hasn't been updated. The Devs have been posting on their forums that they are still working with Impulse to get it patched. And, the good news is those that have it installed via Impulse will have keys available soon that will transfer their game over to Steam. You better believe I will be jumping Impulse's ship.  

18. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 08:01 LgFriess

yuastnav wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 06:48:
Icewind wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 06:39:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 23:55:
finga wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 23:49:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 23:14:
Why do you need this many stores to sell a game that sucks ass?
The game is fucking fantastic. Did you actually play it?

You dare question the authority of Reagle? Better watch yourself. He'll own your ass in CoD.

Yes, if someone doesn't like your indie darling game it must therefore mean he;s a CoD nerd.

Can we stop making that assumption? Every idiot that hears me say I hate Minecraft pulls that shit, and the only thing I hate more than Minecraft are military FPS games.

Point
Match
Set
:E

Lovely way to start my day!

17. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 06:48 yuastnav

Icewind wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 06:39:

You dare question the authority of Reagle? Better watch yourself. He'll own your ass in CoD.

Yes, if someone doesn't like your indie darling game it must therefore mean he;s a CoD nerd.

Can we stop making that assumption? Every idiot that hears me say I hate Minecraft pulls that shit, and the only thing I hate more than Minecraft are military FPS games.

Point
Match
Set
:E

16. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 06:39 Icewind

15. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 06:19 yuastnav

14. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 04:43 Dev

I've enjoyed the beta I bought, its got a bit of Space Rangers games in it. Watch the steam trailer to get an idea of it, if you like look of trailer you'll probably enjoy the game itself.

I like that you can take the beta cd key and put it into steam and get the steam version.

Frijoles wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 23:54:
Agree, it's fun. Now that's it's at 1.0, I'll put more time in to it. I didn't want to risk having my save game get wiped when it moved from beta to release.

Save is compatible from beta, but you will miss some stuff from 1.0 that gets populated in a new galaxy (I think side quests? I forget but its listed in 1.0 changelog).

13. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 02:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

I must be getting old; I tried the demo of this like a month ago, it was mildly amusing, but more annoying than anything else because of the crosshair design and backgrounds.

I had trouble really gauging firing lines and so forth, also the weapons seemed to be wildly out of whack in terms of power/usefulness.

It reminded me a lot of Star Control 2, and I'd probably like it a lot more if there was an option/toggle for less involved backgrounds, pure black or mostly black or whatever.

12. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 00:06 finga

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 00:05:
Demo is interesting. Would like to see more ship customization, but that could be due to demo size.
It pretty much is that, yeah.

11. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 00:05 The Half Elf

Demo is interesting. Would like to see more ship customization, but that could be due to demo size.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 00:05 finga

Well damn. If only I was attention-deficit enough to enjoy Call of Duty's multiplayer mode.

9. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 00:04 Fion

Oh god dammit a forum advertisement. I hate those people.

On subject, this game looks pretty sweet, I may pick it up.

8. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 15, 2011, 23:56 Wowbagger_TIP

It's not bad, and has a lot of potential if they can keep working on it. I bought it a couple months back.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 15, 2011, 23:55 Jerykk

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo