Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 16, 2011, 15:44 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 13:32:
Firefox SEVEN?

Not only that, but they talk about how they already have development versions of Firefox 8.

What do they think is going to happen in a year or so? Firefox 15? 27? 3056?

Chrome went from 6 to 13 in about 8 months.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2011, 17:24 HorrorScope

kanniballl wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 13:19:
Creston wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 11:55:
Firefox SEVEN?

We're still at 5...

Creston

I know, it's a bit insane. 6 was kind-of/sort-of released the other day, a little early.

People are freaking out about the FireFox numbering conventions.

In big corporations, you have to test every piece of software you roll out to the desktops. For smaller point-releases the testing might not be so bad, but if you're going for a large-number release the testing is quite a big deal... especially for a large company with a large intranet.

It doesn't matter if the change-log only says "fixed pixel width of footer," on their software-push system if it says that it went from X to Y then a bunch of red-tape is involved.

I recall a (non-Blues) news item a few weeks ago that companies were going to stop using FireFox internally if this kept up for this one reason. I think it was slashdot.

Good point in corporations IE clobbers the rest because it gives the admins what they need. More finer user controls and slower releases. Now Chrome and Firefox work great for the home user.

Firefox definitely had to do something with memory usage, it was the only issue I have.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2011, 16:53 Wowbagger_TIP

They're doing the same sort of versioning as Chrome now. So major versions come much quicker. I'm fine with it. Doesn't matter to me whether they call it 5.2 or 7. Either way it's an improvement.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2011, 13:50 Shok

I can't remember where I read it, probably from one of my feeds in google reader, but Firefox 6 release binaries are available to download today. The official update push won't happen for two more days:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/6.0/win32/en-US/

EDIT: it was this maximumPC RSS feed where I read it.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2011, 13:32 Bhruic

Firefox SEVEN?

Not only that, but they talk about how they already have development versions of Firefox 8.

What do they think is going to happen in a year or so? Firefox 15? 27? 3056?

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2011, 13:19 kanniballl

Firefox SEVEN?

We're still at 5...

Creston

I know, it's a bit insane. 6 was kind-of/sort-of released the other day, a little early.

People are freaking out about the FireFox numbering conventions.

In big corporations, you have to test every piece of software you roll out to the desktops. For smaller point-releases the testing might not be so bad, but if you're going for a large-number release the testing is quite a big deal... especially for a large company with a large intranet.

It doesn't matter if the change-log only says "fixed pixel width of footer," on their software-push system if it says that it went from X to Y then a bunch of red-tape is involved.

I recall a (non-Blues) news item a few weeks ago that companies were going to stop using FireFox internally if this kept up for this one reason. I think it was slashdot.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2011, 12:32 Siward

Firefox SEVEN?

We're still at 5...

Creston

http://blog.mozilla.com/futurereleases/2011/07/19/every-six-weeks/

It surprised me to read this, but they've moved quickly since 4.0's release.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2011, 11:55 Creston

Firefox SEVEN?

We're still at 5...

Creston

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo