Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout

A post on the ManiaPlanet Forums from Nadeo explains they are not planning a retail version of TrackMania 2: Canyon, saying: "There is no box version scheduled right now." A separate post from Nadeo explains that their racing sequel will also not be released through Steam initially, though it may come to Valve's online service at a future time. Explaining that the game's use of the ManiaPlanet portal may be redundant with Steam, they refer to the possibility that users might have to buy a second copy of the game to achieve Steam integration in explaining that they don't envision making a decision on this until sometime next year: "So, if you really want it on Steam, I can suggest to wait of either see a change in their policy, so you can feel secure to buy it outside of it today or to wait to see if we go on it and all I can say to help is that if it happens, it is very likely to be next year." Meanwhile, if you are interested in the game's multiplayer economy, This post explains more of the "planets" that replace the "coppers" from previous TrackMania game, outlining how you can earn and spend them.

To wrap-up this info flood, as noted on the ManiaPlanet Forums, the embargo has been lifted from TrackMania 2: Canyon beta testers, who are now permitted to release opinions about the multiplayer beta test. Testers are also now allowed to post media, as can be seen in this thread, where there are loads of screenshots and YouTube videos of the game in action. Finally, the ManiaNews YouTube Channel now offers no fewer than eight video interviews discussing the game with Nadeo CEO Florent Castelnerac. Thanks TM XASECO developer Frans.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 16, 2011, 16:07  Xymph 

Jensen wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 23:52:
I don't use other game clients besides Steam, but I'll occasionally download directly from the developer.

Nadeo isn't trying to make ManiaPlanet a Steam competitor. It just doesn't easily fit with Steam as it is now. They want a tight integration of their Mania games and a community platform. Trackmania relies on its creative community more than any other game I've played.
Exactly.

Besides, Nadeo hasn't ruled out that the game will appear on Steam later. If it happens, it'll probably like this: http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?p=44525#p44525

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 16, 2011, 15:23  Xymph 

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 03:15:
And speaking of XASECO, I really hope that server-side widgets are going to be avoidable (or non-existent) in this one. I don't like looking through a tiny little hole in the middle of the screen.
It has always been possible to configure XASECO's own panels (records, vote, donate), i.e. turn them off or move them to another spot. And with both main widgets plugins (Fufi's Widgets and Records Eyepiece) it has always been possible to disable most of the racing widgets via the F7 key or a toggle command.

Hope that provides some (visual) breathing space.

-- Frans

34. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 08:38 Verno

I don't really see the problem, their stated goals are obviously beyond what any current digital distribution platform can accommodate so they're trying to build their own. It's not a case like EA vs Steam or something where EA is structuring the MP framework around their website and just dicking Steam users around for their bottom line. If the TrackMania devs cared about their bottom line they'd be making over the shoulder cover shooters.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

33. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 08:19 Tumbler

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 03:50:
I fail to see what steam has to do with user-driven content, steam is a store for games, user driven content can be done via in-game stuff after purchase on steam.

Steam is a platform for pc games. Any content that needs to be delivered to the user has to go through steam. Just like xbox 360 and ps3. Although I guess they ignore these rules for f2p mmo's?

And I know I bought eve online from steam and that needs to be able to update outside of steam. I guess they could simply deliver base files and have the game update outside of steam...

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2011, 08:28.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

32. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:50 eRe4s3r

I fail to see what steam has to do with user-driven content, steam is a store for games, user driven content can be done via in-game stuff after purchase on steam.

So if they made ManiaPlanet a separate external store like steam then it is redundant.

Which they did
So it is

31. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:43 Crustacean Soup

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 03:30:
Had no intention of buying this anyway, but its funny they say
ManiaPlanet portal may be redundant with Steam

And thats exactly what it is. Redundant.

Do you have any idea what TM or Maniaplanet are? Steam itself doesn't have the infrastructure for this sort of user-driven game.

30. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:36 peteham

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 03:13:
Well, you play FS or tech tracks without knowing what you're doing, and you're pretty much always going to rank badly (and in a large server, that's a pretty high number). I guess it's probably kind of demoralizing. TM has a pretty nasty learning curve.

There's also people who just want the points. Nadeo capped lol servers at 60,000 because of that, IIRC.

I can see some short/lol servers being entertaining for awhile, what gets me is just how many of them there are.
Yeah, there seems to be twice as many LOL servers as every other gametype combined. I think it's great that the game has that kind of versatility with essentially different sub-games made possible by creative use of the level editor. But at the same time it also makes me a bit sad to see so many LOL servers (and lately, to some degree, the bizarrely named "RPG" servers), because they kind'a cannibalize the influx of players for other game modes. After all, it's not like players new to the game are going to join the ghost town tech servers when the LOL servers are fully populated and therefore always at the top of the server list.. The introduction of freezone made this even worse (for stadium-players, at least).

29. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:30 eRe4s3r

Had no intention of buying this anyway, but its funny they say
ManiaPlanet portal may be redundant with Steam

And thats exactly what it is. Redundant.

28. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:15 Crustacean Soup

And speaking of XASECO, I really hope that server-side widgets are going to be avoidable (or non-existent) in this one. I don't like looking through a tiny little hole in the middle of the screen.  

27. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:13 Crustacean Soup

Well, you play FS or tech tracks without knowing what you're doing, and you're pretty much always going to rank badly (and in a large server, that's a pretty high number). I guess it's probably kind of demoralizing. TM has a pretty nasty learning curve.

There's also people who just want the points. Nadeo capped lol servers at 60,000 because of that, IIRC.

I can see some short/lol servers being entertaining for awhile, what gets me is just how many of them there are.

26. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:08 Jensen

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 02:55:
There's also a lot of servers with "LOL" and "very short" tracks, which is a phenomena that's completely beyond me.
LOL tracks remind me of Angry Birds. Launch off at a somewhat random angle and hope for the best. I guess a lot of people like luck based games.

25. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:05 pacbowl

I love the LOL and Very Short servers, sometimes. Some of them can be very entertaining once you get the "trick" down, but a lot of the time some maps have shortcuts which will shave several seconds off your time, even if you run it as intended. What really grinds my gears are the maps that have no clear route to take, like you pull out of a loop or those wall-high turns and there's no way to tell where to go next. Just a big open area and if you don't happen to be following someone who's played it before you go in the entirely wrong direction.  

24. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 02:55 Crustacean Soup

pacbowl wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 02:41:
IMO they need to clear up the confusion between all the versions. They have Trackmania United, Trackmania Forever, Trackmania Nations, Trackmania Sunrise and Steams Trackmania Nations Forever, all of which are a mix of paid and free versions. It can be very confusing for someone new to the series to find out what exactly they are getting without researching it first. Here's hoping it's not that way with TM2. And I hope track designers create more than a bunch of full-speed stadium maps.

There are technical servers, there are United servers (they're not very populated). Obviously there's a lot centred around Stadium because it's free, it's got the biggest block variety, and the physics feel a touch... nicer than the other environments (in some opinions).

There's also a lot of servers with "LOL" and "very short" tracks, which is a phenomena that's completely beyond me.

23. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 02:46 elefunk

I think the naming confusion was just a matter of the series slowly evolving from the time before digital distribution even existed, to its early beginning, to the point where it took full advantage of the ad-supported model and beyond.

But honestly, the confusion only exists for someone who actually wants to research it. To someone new to the series, all they'd see today is Nations - the free game - and United - the full game that includes everything from all the earlier versions and a lot more.

"Forever" is just the enhanced edition that replaced the similarly-titled game, and Sunrise is the prequel that doesn't matter anymore since United contained everything it had and more.

22. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 02:41 pacbowl

IMO they need to clear up the confusion between all the versions. They have Trackmania United, Trackmania Forever, Trackmania Nations, Trackmania Sunrise and Steams Trackmania Nations Forever, all of which are a mix of paid and free versions. It can be very confusing for someone new to the series to find out what exactly they are getting without researching it first. Here's hoping it's not that way with TM2. And I hope track designers create more than a bunch of full-speed stadium maps.  

21. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 00:52 badasscat

Damn what a bunch of closed- and simple-minded cynics here.

Really? You have a tiny developer like Nadeo, which despite being owned by Ubisoft, still has fewer than 20 people working for them. They've been tremendously successful for the last decade making an incredibly awesome arcade racer that provides more pure freedom for creative expression than most every single other game out there.

They want to expand that idea of pure creative freedom to a variety of games and genres - not just racing, but shooters and RPGs too - taking full advantage of what PC gaming is all about, creating an entire platform for multiple games, millions of user-created levels, with a single unified community all around it.

And you whiners cuss them out because it's not on Steam?

I fucking love Steam, and love what it's done for PC gaming as a whole, but for the love of god, it's not everything. It can't support everything, and in the case of Nadeo's vision for ManiaPlanet, it doesn't even support what they're trying to do.

It's not "just another fucking launcher". Nadeo actually has damn good reasons for doing things this way - they're creating the fucking definition of the creativity and freedom that PC gaming is about.

This times a thousand...

But Valve lackeys are not the end all,be all of PC demogfx.

In fact,...most people I know that game on PC,...never even use steam for anything...they also want a box.

That said,...TM is a great little franchise,..and anything new is aimed at the current users..no biggie.

If rFactor2 does this to keep track and mod makers in line,...and doesn't charge monthly for the privilege...I'd rave about it too.

Valve fans are almost as bad as Apple zealots....walled garden is walled garden.

20. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 00:49 Jensen

They've already said that LANs won't require an internet connection.  

19. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 00:45 webname

Well the no steam is great news, but sounds like it will still be stuck
with some other internet dongle tethering it to some remote server.

Hopefully an unthethering fix will become available and if it still has lan capability ( where LAN = no internet involved ) ill sure buy it.

Not into racing much but trackmania is ace

18. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 00:04 spindoctor

I wonder if it will be available on other sites like D2D and Gamersgate. Either way, not being on Steam will hurt their sales. Hopefully they can figure out a way to make it happen.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

17. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 14, 2011, 23:52 Jensen

I don't use other game clients besides Steam, but I'll occasionally download directly from the developer.

Nadeo isn't trying to make ManiaPlanet a Steam competitor. It just doesn't easily fit with Steam as it is now. They want a tight integration of their Mania games and a community platform. Trackmania relies on its creative community more than any other game I've played.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo