Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'll be out and about for a few days next week, so it seemed a good time to upgrade the cellular modem on my laptop to use Verizon's allegedly snazzy 4G LTE network. I say allegedly, because in the brief time I played with it following installation, I was only able to connect to the 3G network, and not very well at that. This may be normal, as I've never had much reason to use a cell connection from within the BlueTower, so I may just be in a bad spot. Hopefully when I'm on the road I will have better luck.

Cellular Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Castaway Island Tower Defense.
Friction Physics.
Links: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books. Thanks Nerdapproved.
Papercrafting the 80s.
7 Nerdy License Plates.
Stories: Mike Myers Plans Fourth "Austin Powers".
Dr. Gordon Freeman cosplayer.
What a "Shooting Star" looks like from space. Thanks Jim.
Media: 8BITS. NSFW.
Evo 2011 Highlights, Justin Wong's unbelievable comeback.
THE EVIL DEAD in 60 seconds with clay. Thanks Auger.
Andy Goes Hillbilly Handfishin'. Thanks nin via Digg.
The Funnies: How the Real-Money Auction House Will Affect Diablo III.
Follow-up: Extended -Walking Dead- Season Two Promo.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Austin Powers 4? Aug 15, 2011, 08:17 kanniballl

Really, do we NEED an Austin Powers 4?

Sure, the first one was funny for the time and the second one was mildly amusing. The third, I guess it was love-it or hate-it.

Now here we are, years later, and he wants a sequel? By the time it gets released, it'll have been 10 years since the last movie

He must be low on cash.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2011, 00:43 Sepharo

I've been working my way around similar lists and have recently read Ender's Game and Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said. I tried reading Quicksilver but despite generally liking excessive detail, I found myself losing the plot often after reading 6-7 pages of details before returning to ongoing dialog. I'm now starting the first Dark Tower and liking it so far.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2011, 00:24 kanniballl

For modern-day fantasy stuff, I really enjoy "The Dresden Files" series of books, by Jim Butcher (who's other series made the list above). And this is coming from a guy that doesn't like straight-up Fantasy that much anymore (liked it in High School, but not much since).

Think "gum-shoe detective + wizard ... in a modern-day Chicago where (of course) everyone believes magic is bogus."

It's not for everyone, but I like it... though the last 2 books are more of an acquired taste. I'd recommend starting with the first 2 books and see if you like it.

There was a short-lived TV series on the SciFi channel, but while it kept most of the overall feel of the books there were a lot of differences.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 20:00 PHJF

Well I'm 72% through it, so no point in quitting now. I've just been working my way through the "best" sci fi books and Stranger kept coming up. I've heard first-hand good things about Starship Troopers, though.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 18:46 mag

PHJF wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 17:18:
About half way into Stranger in a Strange Land (unedited) the book takes a turn for the worse. Hoping it gets better before the end. I don't care for the philosophical mumbo jumbo about everyone grokking everything, and the "thou art god" crap.

Oh, and I don't know why Windup Girl wouldn't be in there... that was a great read.

Man, if you're not reading it for the philosophical mumbo jumbo, that book's not for you.

My favorite one to pimp out in recent years is The Book of the New Sun. I'm glad to see it on the list, even down so far.

Edit: After reading through more of the list, it's hard to take too much exception to it. I don't like some of the things on there--but most of my favorite works are present. Going to have to attack some of the ones that I haven't read.

Moar edit: The abridged Stranger has a little less of the mumbo jumbo, but that's still pretty much the focus of the story.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2011, 18:59.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 18:40 nin

Travel safe, Blue!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 18:24 Hoop

Snow day here, have a couple of feet of it outside.
May even go another two days.
Most snow to hit at sea level in one Winter in these parts.

Um .. Behind you...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 17:18 PHJF

About half way into Stranger in a Strange Land (unedited) the book takes a turn for the worse. Hoping it gets better before the end. I don't care for the philosophical mumbo jumbo about everyone grokking everything, and the "thou art god" crap.

Oh, and I don't know why Windup Girl wouldn't be in there... that was a great read.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 17:12 Elricsi

Same problem with the wife's 4G netbook. It does not even use the 3G connection, just drops constantly.

She is pissed because she can't read her Edward & Bella stories at work.

4. Top 100 Books Aug 14, 2011, 17:11 Fion

Solid list, though I'd make a handful of changes. For one the collection of Robert E Howard's original Conan stories (collected into a 3 book series by Del Ray) should be in the top 20 at least.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 17:05 PHJF

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02278/  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 17:02 GibMonkey

My CEO "requested" (demanded) an update to this blazingly fast technology once he saw a commercial. It has not been pretty. Since the 4G network is so different from the 3G network bouncing from network to network gives you 15 second offline time and decent 4G coverage is spotty at best. My CEO's main travel route is NY,NY to Darien CT through Boston MA to Nashua NH. He hates it. I get personal satisfaction in the fact that I told him not to switch yet. Yay me. I still get his bitching phone calls.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2011, 16:14 Hyatus

Having my employment terminated recently from a Verizon Wireless retailer(thank god), keep in mind that 4g coverage with Verizon Wireless right now is very limited. Also, it's too bad you've upgraded. I had a customer get an unlimited data plan from them with a Mifi 2200 recently. Just talk up the Verizon Wireless food chain. They really can do anything if you get the right supervisor. It may require you to call back a couple of times, but sometimes it's worth it.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo