Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform"

An article on GameSpy by Chris Morris looks at the landscape of virtual goods sales within games, analyzing sales figures on various platforms and projecting what this means for the future. One of the sources cited is Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels, who talks of how he sees the trend of free-to-play PC games continuing to grow. "If you look at the way people play in Asia, PC is the model," said Gibeau. "I think that the free-to-play model is coming to the West in a big way." So big, in fact, that he also made the following statement:

"PC retail may be a big problem, but PC downloads are awesome," said Gibeau. "The margins are much better and we don't have any rules in terms of first-party approvals. From our perspective, it's an extremely healthy platform. ... It's totally conceivable that it will become our biggest platform."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

12. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 16:27 Agent.X7

"The margins are much better and we don't have any rules in terms of first-party approvals."

We can put out shit that is totally broken, charge for it, and then never fix it!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 16:26 StingingVelvet

Acleacius wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 16:15:
Lol, this reminds me of how m$ tried to convince us how much they cared for the PC the last 10 years, especially pre shista release.

I feel the love baby....err not.

Difference being of course that EA release everything on the PC, with BF3 actually leading on the PC. MS does nothing to back up their claims.

10. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 16:25 RollinThundr

Frijoles wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 15:12:
Look at all these young, sweet PCs.. so ready for us to rape them.

Ok this made me literally LOL well done, I tip my hat to you!

9. Re: EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform" Aug 13, 2011, 16:15 Acleacius

Lol, this reminds me of how m$ tried to convince us how much they cared for the PC the last 10 years, especially pre shista release.

I feel the love baby....err not.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 16:07 killer_roach

bhcompy wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 16:01:
finga wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 15:40:
The next console generation is nearly as risky for the publishers as it is for the manufacturers. Think about launch titles - who wants to publish a game on a system that, heading up to the game's release date, only has a guaranteed install base consisting, at maximum, of the number of pre-ordered consoles?

It's only a problem if the publisher doesn't take a long view on it. Konami knew that MGS4 would sell regardless of initial installbase. They invested a shitload of time and money into that game, and I'm sure they've made a pretty profit on it by now. The problem is the American game companies take a short view on profit, but that's fine, because Japanese ones don't seem to care about that.

I'd also point out that the cost of lending in Japan is practically zero... gives you a much better time window to make your investment back in if you're borrowing at 2-3% than, say, 6-10%.

7. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 16:01 bhcompy

finga wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 15:40:
The next console generation is nearly as risky for the publishers as it is for the manufacturers. Think about launch titles - who wants to publish a game on a system that, heading up to the game's release date, only has a guaranteed install base consisting, at maximum, of the number of pre-ordered consoles?

It's only a problem if the publisher doesn't take a long view on it. Konami knew that MGS4 would sell regardless of initial installbase. They invested a shitload of time and money into that game, and I'm sure they've made a pretty profit on it by now. The problem is the American game companies take a short view on profit, but that's fine, because Japanese ones don't seem to care about that.

6. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 15:42 StingingVelvet

killer_roach wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 15:30:
Nothing about the next console generation changes what he's said. The problem is how much interest consumers have in PC gaming once the next generation of consoles comes out.

Assuming the "next-gen" is not a huge graphical leap, which everyone seems to think it won't be, I don't think the PC will have much problem competing. It would basically be our business models versus whatever controller or service innovations of the new consoles.

5. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 15:40 finga

4. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 15:30 killer_roach

Kajetan wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 15:20:
Just wait until the next console generation comes out ... i hate these corporate sleazeballs, i hate this constant marketing spin, i hate the majors.

Nothing about the next console generation changes what he's said. The problem is how much interest consumers have in PC gaming once the next generation of consoles comes out.

Then again, as an economist as well as a gamer, I understand where the corporate mouthpieces are coming from. Remember - the only way these guys make money is to put a product out there that you willingly give them money to have.

3. Re: EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform" Aug 13, 2011, 15:20 Kajetan

Just wait until the next console generation comes out ... i hate these corporate sleazeballs, i hate this constant marketing spin, i hate the majors.  

2. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 15:20 Teddy

"PC retail may be a big problem, but PC downloads are awesome," said Gibeau. "The margins are much better and we don't have any rules in terms of first-party approvals. From our perspective, it's an extremely healthy platform. ... It's totally conceivable that it will become our biggest platform."

Read: We'll soon be cutting all ties with any other online retailers and only selling via Origin to maximize our 'margins'.

1. Re: EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform" Aug 13, 2011, 15:12 Frijoles

Look at all these young, sweet PCs.. so ready for us to rape them.  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo