Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform"

An article on GameSpy by Chris Morris looks at the landscape of virtual goods sales within games, analyzing sales figures on various platforms and projecting what this means for the future. One of the sources cited is Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels, who talks of how he sees the trend of free-to-play PC games continuing to grow. "If you look at the way people play in Asia, PC is the model," said Gibeau. "I think that the free-to-play model is coming to the West in a big way." So big, in fact, that he also made the following statement:

"PC retail may be a big problem, but PC downloads are awesome," said Gibeau. "The margins are much better and we don't have any rules in terms of first-party approvals. From our perspective, it's an extremely healthy platform. ... It's totally conceivable that it will become our biggest platform."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: EA: PC Aug 14, 2011, 01:06 netnerd85

Prez wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 20:37:
Somehow I don't find myself excited by what I suspect they'll end up shoveling onto the PC platform. MMO's and social games don't qualify as games I'm at all interested in.
I agree, I like playing games either alone (more often) or local COOP with people in the same room.

"Free to play" is the most pathetic idea and I hope it dies hard and fast.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: EA: PC Aug 14, 2011, 00:50 Slashman

Bhruic wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 21:09:
I didn't say that at all. I just said we wouldn't be as far along as we have been, and it's true.

Because in your alternate no-MS universe, it's totally impossible that some other company could have stepped in and filled MS's role. If MS hadn't have done it, someone else would have. The reason we didn't have anyone else doing it is because MS monopolized the system so badly. You can say "we wouldn't be as far along", and yes, there's no way to prove you wrong, but I could say "we'd be farther along without MS", and there's no way for you to prove me wrong. Rather pointless speculation.

I'm not so sure that's accurate either. Apart from Apple, no one seemed to want to play in the personal computer space at the time. There was Commodore and Amiga...but I can't say that they failed because of Microsoft's monopolizing.

Microsoft's monopolizing became a factor afterwards when people began to realize that there was a goldmine in the 'average joe' having his own PC.

I'm not going to ever sing MS praises, but I don't think it's their fault that they have no real competition in the personal desktop space. They've done a lot of crud with the power that they do have...but I think they got it because no one else was trying to grab it at the same time.

30. Re: EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform" Aug 13, 2011, 23:16 Rockn-Roll

This is just more EA propaganda. keep in mind everything that EA has said in the last few months and you will see that the meaning is clear that EA has no clue that their attempt to become the #1 games client (destroying Steam's dominance) will fail. Why? Look at what they are saying about downloads, margins, and free-to-play...translation, "We will get them addicted to Origin with free games and then charge more for AAA titles and Down-Loadable Content." OMG! They are just looking at Steam and want to copy it...what a bunch of losers. I don't believe I've ever seen a company throw away their money for a lost cause as much as EA is doing in their bid to get their advertising client onto our computers.

What does this mean to us? If we want an EA game then we will have to use origin and there will be free games available on origin to entice us to switch from Steam to Origin. I suppose the next EA messages will be that they will distribute any indie game for free or some such thing that Steam already does.

Let's Rock!

29. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 22:52 Mead

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 20:46:
Mead wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 18:57:
The PC is dead! Long live the PC!

The King is dead! Long live the King!

Yeah, of course the PC will get all the love until the next consoles come out than it's back to business as usual.

Again with the total 100% agreement with my statement, just in 4x the verbiage. I'm on a roll!

28. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 21:09 Bhruic

I didn't say that at all. I just said we wouldn't be as far along as we have been, and it's true.

Because in your alternate no-MS universe, it's totally impossible that some other company could have stepped in and filled MS's role. If MS hadn't have done it, someone else would have. The reason we didn't have anyone else doing it is because MS monopolized the system so badly. You can say "we wouldn't be as far along", and yes, there's no way to prove you wrong, but I could say "we'd be farther along without MS", and there's no way for you to prove me wrong. Rather pointless speculation.

27. Re: EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform" Aug 13, 2011, 21:06 Creston

"Please all sign up for Origin? Please? I know we've shat all over you in the past, and we'll shut down servers six months after you buy a game, and we'll delete your account after two years of inactivity, by which we mean two years of you not spending $5000 a year, but please buy our games from Origin? Please?"

Poor Xbox. Dumped so harshly.

Creston

26. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 20:47 Beelzebud

I didn't say that at all. I just said we wouldn't be as far along as we have been, and it's true. What other PC compares to Windows as far as game support? It certainly wasn't Mac or any of the 80's companies that went bankrupt. MS-DOS and Windows have always had the best support for gaming.  

25. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 20:46 Cutter

Mead wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 18:57:

The King is dead! Long live the King!

Yeah, of course the PC will get all the love until the next consoles come out than it's back to business as usual.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 20:37 Prez

Somehow I don't find myself excited by what I suspect they'll end up shoveling onto the PC platform. MMO's and social games don't qualify as games I'm at all interested in.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform" Aug 13, 2011, 19:12 cronik

Test  

22. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 19:08 nin

EA must be looking at all the SW preorders and drooling...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 19:02 Goomich

Veterator wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 17:38:
Then they lock us in the DRM lined basement for a few years while they bring their girlfriend(s) over named Xbox and PS3......until they get just a tad too old for EAs taste and they decide to drag us out of the basement with nice words.

But this time I've met that guy, his name's Minecraft. He taught me how to dig out myself from this basement using only 1 hand.

20. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 19:01 yuastnav

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 16:52:
Windows Live sucks, but to be fair, if it weren't for MS, there wouldn't be much gaming on the PC. Mac? Linux? If it weren't for MS what would we be gaming on? They were the only ones who knew it took more than a graphics library to make it easier to make games.

You are right. No one played any games before Microsoft. Only after they made Microsoft people were like "Woah, I have this crazy idea dude, it's like... a game... but ON A MACHINE!!1!"

19. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 18:57 Mead

18. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 18:34 creatorswhim

Holy wow. Did you ever think of just not buying EA games?  

17. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 17:38 Veterator

It's like an abusive relationship. EA is the big burly man saying everything we, the small timid woman, want to hear.

And at night when no one is looking they beat us and yell things like "PIRATE!" while they slap us around.

Then they lock us in the DRM lined basement for a few years while they bring their girlfriend(s) over named Xbox and PS3......until they get just a tad too old for EAs taste and they decide to drag us out of the basement with nice words.

Then the next cycle of Xboxes, PS3s, and Nintendos graduate turn 18 and we find ourselves in the DRM basement again..except this time we have no windows or working toilet. But at least we're not getting hit.....but the loneliness will set in eventually and the lack of a toilet might even be a bonus because it makes the ground nice and soft sleeping on our own mess.

16. Re: EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform" Aug 13, 2011, 17:37 captawe

"The margins are much better"

Oh really? You mean selling a digital download game with no packaging, distribution, or retailer costs for the same price as a bricks and mortar boxed game makes more money? Who'da thunk it? Yet people pay it...

15. removed Aug 13, 2011, 17:04 Icewind

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 14, 2011, 13:43.

14. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 16:52 Beelzebud

Windows Live sucks, but to be fair, if it weren't for MS, there wouldn't be much gaming on the PC. Mac? Linux? If it weren't for MS what would we be gaming on? They were the only ones who knew it took more than a graphics library to make it easier to make games.  

13. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 16:31 El Pit

"So, what kind of magazine do you work for? Oh, a PC magazine? Well, the pc market is definitely our biggest market. It's the lead platform for our developers."
1 hour later, another journalist comes in
"What kind of magazine do you work for? So, it's PS3 Console Kiddo? Well, the PS3 market is definitely our biggest market. It's the lead platform for our developers."

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo