Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked

A week-old tweet by DICE community manager Daniel Matros notes that player names in Battlefield 3 will be linked to the player's Origin account, in response to the question: "Will it still be possible in BF3 to freely choose your ingame nick(soldiername),like it has been with BFBC2?" His exact response was: "your name is linked to your origin persona." This is interpreted by BF3Blog to possibly mean that each Origin account will only be allowed to create one soldier for the upcoming military shooter sequel, but the tweet doesn't seem to be definitive about this. He also later responded "we'll clarify that going forward" to the question: "Will our Origin ID have to be our BF3 soldier name? Or can you make up a new name?"

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 20:50 Paranoid Jack

so it is ok for compagnies (sic) to sniff up your ass , and monitoring all you do , but not beeing (sic) able to name more than one of your player is just wrong...hmm mkay

Exactly, if EA can monitor their games they can allow us to have multiple characters per account. Simple idea, right?

You must work someplace they don't have power? Otherwise you're being monitored too. Don't worry when you get a job other than the local gas station you'll soon realize the company you work for is monitoring you at all time.

The lovely company I work for has GPS on our vehicles, monitoring of every thing on our laptops, and we all carry a company provided cell phone. So wake up and smell what you been sniffing....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 17:15 Crustacean Soup

You can bring up chat support without logging in, or call their support number.  

25. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 15:13 Creston

Teddy wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 23:27:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 22:03:
Ok How about EA doing ONE SINGLE name for everything? I have UO, a few Battlefields, NFS, Earth and Beyond etc etc etc names all linked to my account. I would rather just rid of them all and have 1 name.

Careful with what you wish for. EA has a habit of screwing things like that up.

Hell, right now I can't access anything on Origin or any EA website because I pre-ordered The Old Republic on a whim. It demanded that I create a new and more secure password for my TOR account that it would then change my Origin password to match.

Of course, being EA, their software didn't work and now while I can happily log into TOR website, I can no longer log into Origin. Went to the Origin website to get try and file a ticket and what does it say? "Log into Origin to submit a question."

So yes, I have to log in to Origin to get help logging into Origin. Wonderful. Could call their support line for someone to yell at about the matter, but of course they'se closed right now.

And that's all just a password change (forced) from a single pre-order. Just imagine the chaos if they tried to combine all your game personas into one.

That sounds rather like the EA we all know and love. Don't worry about having to log in to Origin in order to report that you can't log in to Origin, though. Even if you HAD managed to create a ticket, they would just ignore it.

My original Dragon Age "Why won't your service download the DLC I'm entitled to???" ticket is still sitting there, 3 years later.

Remember fellas, EA values the CUSTOMER above all el... pffffbwahahahahaaaaa. I couldn't do it.

Creston

24. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 14:15 KilrathiAce

Just another reason why Origin sucks, I only hope ME3 can be released on steam at all, otherwise I will be sad, but hey its EA that chooses whether some people can buy their games or not, avoiding steam is pretty clear what EA wants.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

23. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 13:09 Luke

I'm able to over look the always connected feature while playing the game since I'm always on anyway. And that seems to be the trend with everything else... not to mention all our electronics at work are constantly monitored. But not being able to name more than one of your players (if this is correct) well that is just bull shit and it's getting old quick.

so it is ok for compagnies to sniff up your ass , and monitoring all you do , but not beeing able to name more than one of your player is just wrong...hmm mkay

22. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 11:39 Paranoid Jack

You'd think a company of this size would have been able to hire somebody to make this shit work properly when they rolled it out to the public.

I couldn't use my original name (which I've been using for twenty f'in years) because all their shit sites aren't linked properly. I'm talking about EA sites, Bioware sites, and now their EA Downloader/Origin shit.

They recently sent me an e-mail for a FREE game when I pre-ordered BF3 and the damn e-mail link takes you to their (website not Origin itself) and the promo code doesn't work there. The site will try to bill you for the game. So if you got one be sure to use it in the Origin client not the Orgin website.

I'm able to over look the always connected feature while playing the game since I'm always on anyway. And that seems to be the trend with everything else... not to mention all our electronics at work are constantly monitored. But not being able to name more than one of your players (if this is correct) well that is just bull shit and it's getting old quick.

Eidt: I'm hoping we're all just jumping to conclusions.

21. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 07:33 Teddy

Esoteric wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 02:16:
Currently there is no way to change your EA ID/Origin account name, which was used for the BF3 alpha. If Origin wants to compete with Steam, there going to have to allow name changes (among MANY other things). But this one just pissed me off. I signed up for Origin (EA downloader, whatever) a while ago to get a free game. Now I'm stuck with that account name in every game for eternity? Stupid.

They won't. They'll just follow along Blizzard's path with SC2 and tell you that it's a good thing they're not letting you change names and that you should have chosen better when you created the account.

20. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 06:24 Luke

Esoteric wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 02:16:
Currently there is no way to change your EA ID/Origin account name, which was used for the BF3 alpha. If Origin wants to compete with Steam, there going to have to allow name changes (among MANY other things). But this one just pissed me off. I signed up for Origin (EA downloader, whatever) a while ago to get a free game. Now I'm stuck with that account name in every game for eternity? Stupid.

Ahh a new way to pull money out of peps name change = 10$

19. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 02:16 Esoteric

18. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 00:24 Crustacean Soup

DangerDog wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 19:57:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 17:39:
Origin lets you use set a profile nickname ("Origin ID"), similar to how Steam lets you set a separate nickname. You can change it freely at any time. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably the thing that's being used, not your email address or your original EA account name.

When you login to "Battlelog" which is BF3's frontend UI you need to do so with your main EA/Origin account username. In the Alpha there was no way to use a different name, when you connect to a game server your player name is your EA/Origin account name.

Doesn't mater what you set your username profile to through Origin. Maybe it was just a broken feature in the Alpha version of "Battlelog".

That kind of makes the profile... useless. Hopefully it was just because of it being incomplete.

17. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 14, 2011, 00:15 Teddy

entr0py wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 23:45:
Hell, right now I can't access anything on Origin or any EA website because I pre-ordered The Old Republic on a whim. It demanded that I create a new and more secure password for my TOR account that it would then change my Origin password to match.

They do have a toll free support number, 1-855-674-4461. Weird it asked you to make the two passwords the same. You could also try the "forgot password" link on the Origin login page.

The phone number is only good for certain hours (which we're past at the moment) and I tried resetting the password. It changes the password to SWTOR.com but still won't let me log into Origin. I managed to get an online chat dealie going with EA support and (unsurprisingly) Tier 1 guy doesn't have a clue.

Edit: As for it asking me to make the passwords the same, I'm assuming it's because I pre-ordered TOR through origin and it wants me to use the same login/password for both to hopefully simplify the login process. Dunno if people would have the same issue if they pre-ordered a boxed copy.

16. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 23:45 entr0py

They do have a toll free support number, 1-855-674-4461. Weird it asked you to make the two passwords the same. You could also try the "forgot password" link on the Origin login page.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2011, 23:56.

15. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 23:27 Teddy

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 22:03:
Ok How about EA doing ONE SINGLE name for everything? I have UO, a few Battlefields, NFS, Earth and Beyond etc etc etc names all linked to my account. I would rather just rid of them all and have 1 name.

Careful with what you wish for. EA has a habit of screwing things like that up.

Of course, being EA, their software didn't work and now while I can happily log into TOR website, I can no longer log into Origin. Went to the Origin website to get try and file a ticket and what does it say? "Log into Origin to submit a question."

So yes, I have to log in to Origin to get help logging into Origin. Wonderful. Could call their support line for someone to yell at about the matter, but of course they'se closed right now.

And that's all just a password change (forced) from a single pre-order. Just imagine the chaos if they tried to combine all your game personas into one.

14. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 22:03 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 21:16 DDI

What royally pissed me off was I couldn't use the Battlefield name I'd been using since BF1942.  

12. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 19:57 DangerDog

Origin lets you use set a profile nickname ("Origin ID"), similar to how Steam lets you set a separate nickname. You can change it freely at any time. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably the thing that's being used, not your email address or your original EA account name.

When you login to "Battlelog" which is BF3's frontend UI you need to do so with your main EA/Origin account username. In the Alpha there was no way to use a different name, when you connect to a game server your player name is your EA/Origin account name.

Doesn't mater what you set your username profile to through Origin. Maybe it was just a broken feature in the Alpha version of "Battlelog".

11. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 19:42 vrok

Kedyn wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 17:26:
Origin will actually be the server browser/matchmaker and community portal for Battlefield 3, which compared to their previous user interfaces and server browsers, I say is a good thing.
Why do you post when you have no idea what you're talking about? Battlelog is the server browser/social tool for BF3. Origin is just for DRM, ads and updates. Battlelog is awesome, Origin is terrible.

10. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 19:33 Reikon

Where do they allow that? I see no option of doing so. My Origin ID is stuck on my EA name.

9. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 17:39 Crustacean Soup

8. Re: BF3 & Origin Accounts Linked Aug 13, 2011, 17:33 necrosis

DangerDog wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 17:15:
Bhruic wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 17:04:

Yea I never want my ingame name to be the same as my logon.

You use your email address to login to Origin, so that's a moot point.

I think you're missing the point, many people used their real name when creating their EA account (which is what Origin uses). People get all online stalkerish and so that's why it's a bad idea to have your EA account the same as your in game name.

Yes you can go create a new EA account with a new email address but you'll miss out on perks for being a long time consumer of Battlefield games - they haven't mentioned what they'll have for "vets" but I'm sure there will be something.
This is the exact reason I hate that shit. I make my logins the same:

<first name initial><middle name initial><full last name>

I do that for everything but fuck if I want that as a player name. Damned PSN ID is that and when I created the account years ago (before PS3 release) to get a PSP demo, I didnt know this. Had to deal with it cause my primary e-mail was already used and could not make a new account with the same e-mail.

O well im bitching for no real reason. EA can go fuck off with BF3. I won't be buying it.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo