Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2

TrackMania 2 will not use Ubisoft's intrusive always on DRM, reports Rock, Paper, Shotgun. They received the following explanation from Ubi on the scheme used in Nadeo's racing sequel: "Youíll need to register online once when you install the game. Youíll then be able to play without an online connection."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 14, 2011, 13:35 Ruffiana

Jerykk wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 23:56:
While I'm happy that the game isn't plagued by UbiDRM, I'm confused as to why Ubisoft is being so inconsistent. Why do some of their PC games have UbiDRM while others don't?

Why? Cause wtf is "TrackMania 2", that's why.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 14, 2011, 05:51 vermin

Crustacean Soup wrote:
Not if they include DLC purchasing. Otherwise, why not?

but isnt it all going to be handled through maniaplanet systems? kind of like battlenet or whatever. or maybe I understood that system all wrong whenever I read about it. but wouldnt the next environments also be considered dlc. since steam considers everything dlc, even proper expansions and whatever is downloaded in addition to the base game.

15. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 14:17 Crustacean Soup

Razorclaw wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 12:22:
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 10:06:
Personally I'm just waiting for this to show up on Steam. Graphically, it doesn't appear as advanced as I'd hoped, but most racing games don't allow you to build ridiculously complex tracks. I'm a little annoyed that it's only a single environment, but then I thought about the other games in the series and realized that I spent 90% of my time in only one of the environments. The $24 price tag also makes that easier to accept.

will it actually show up on steam at all with the new maniaplanet systems going into it?

Not if they include DLC purchasing. Otherwise, why not?

14. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 12:22 vermin

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 10:06:
Personally I'm just waiting for this to show up on Steam. Graphically, it doesn't appear as advanced as I'd hoped, but most racing games don't allow you to build ridiculously complex tracks. I'm a little annoyed that it's only a single environment, but then I thought about the other games in the series and realized that I spent 90% of my time in only one of the environments. The $24 price tag also makes that easier to accept.

will it actually show up on steam at all with the new maniaplanet systems going into it?

13. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 10:06 HoSpanky

12. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 09:20 vermin

yes ubisoft. why would you ever require people to be online in one of your few games whose main mode ACTUALLY IS ONLINE. put online requirement on offline games instead. it just makes maximum amounts of sense.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 05:13:
How sad is it that we now have to have separate news releases for each new game coming out telling us what kind of DRM they are using.

yeah. it's complete garbage. the pc platform is a fucked up mess.

11. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 07:13 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure it's paranoia about PC piracy impacting console sales.

Publishers still believe that nonsense? In spite of the fact that console versions of multiplatform games almost always sell 3-10 times as many as the PC version, even when they are released simultaneously? If anything, consoles are cannibalizing PC sales.

Driver was delayed, btw.

10. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 07:10 StingingVelvet

While I'm happy that the game isn't plagued by UbiDRM, I'm confused as to why Ubisoft is being so inconsistent. Why do some of their PC games have UbiDRM while others don't?

I'm pretty sure it's paranoia about PC piracy impacting console sales. Trackmania is a PC exclusive and From Dust was delayed significantly, but Driver was supposed to be a same day release.

Either that or they leave it up to the project leaders.

9. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 06:33 Kajetan

MajorD wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 00:58:
Maybe, and I say 'maybe' Ubisoft is one of the first companies to listen to their customers realizing they need us more than we need them.
No. Absolutely, definitely NO. Ubisoft uses ist Always-On-DRM on games, which are potential top revenue games like the AC series. They do that to ensure their investors, that they protect their most valuable assets. Games with a lower revenue potential are getting a less annoying or even no DRM at all. Ubisoft DOES NOT LISTEN to its customers. As a publicly owned company Ubisoft only listens to its investors and nobody else.

8. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 05:13 xXBatmanXx

How sad is it that we now have to have separate news releases for each new game coming out telling us what kind of DRM they are using.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 04:42 Jackplug

UbiDRM urgh!! I want to buy it, but don't want that shit on my drive.  

6. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 04:35 Paketep

Thank god. I'm off to the preorder, hoping that Ubi takes as small a cut as possible.

Jensen wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 01:05:
TrackMania is primarily an online game, so a pirated copy wouldn't get the full experience.

Not true. Me and my friends have logged thousands of hours on all 6 trackmanias, and all of it was playing single and LAN. We bought the games, but we could have been using pirated copies just the same.

DRM is stupid. Whoever wants to pirate a game, does.

5. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 01:05 Jensen

TrackMania is primarily an online game, so a pirated copy wouldn't get the full experience. I don't think you'll be able to play on most servers without a real account.  

4. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 00:58 MajorD

We all know there has been a lot of frustration and outcry about the various 'Always On' DRM announcements as of late. Maybe, and I say 'maybe' Ubisoft is one of the first companies to listen to their customers realizing they need us more than we need them.

3. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 13, 2011, 00:53 jsmith

Funny how there is yet another Ubisoft game not using the Always-on DRM but yet this was quoted recently:

"Ubisoft see the DRM as a success. Speaking to us earlier today, a Ubisoft representative admitted that the developer has seen ďa clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success."

Maybe they are treading water before going full tilt using this DRM until Blizzard releases Diablo 3? It seems like other companies are waiting on Blizzard to lead the way on making this Always-on DRM stick.

2. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 12, 2011, 23:56 Jerykk

1. Re: No Always On DRM for TrackMania 2 Aug 12, 2011, 23:37 Crustacean Soup

Okay, that's what I needed. As soon as pre-order/beta is up, I'm totally there.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo