Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MDK 2 HD Next Month

Interplay Entertainment and Overhaul Games announce MDK2 HD, saying this updated version of the action/adventure sequel released by BioWare in 2000 will become available next month exclusively through Overhaul's Beamdog portal for $14.99 USD. This refresh includes new graphics as seen in these screenshots as well as new audio, all in the spirit of the original thanks to the participation of several BioWare veterans like Cameron Tofer, Russ Rice, Sean Smailes, and BioWare cofounder Trent Oster, all of whom were involved in the development of MDK2 (MDK, of course, stands for Marvelously Demonic Kittens). This page has more details, and here's a bit from the announcement:

August 12 – Edmonton, AB, Canada. MDK2 HD. Enough said! Or… maybe not. The fine chaps at Interplay Entertainment Corp. and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce the impending launch of MDK2 HD, bringing Interplay’s wacky action-adventure to a new generation of gamers. With a visual overhaul that would make a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon wail with jealousy, as well as a wide range of gameplay tweaks and reworked audio, MDK 2 HD will launch exclusively via Beamdog.com in September for just $14.99.

MDK2 HD follows the antics of loveable janitor Kurt Hectic, mad-scientist-type Doc Hawkins and the gun-toting, six-legged, potty-trained mechanical dog, Max, as they attempt to thwart yet another alien invasion of Earth. Players experience unique gameplay as each of the three characters, progressing through 10 wildly varied levels in this galaxy and beyond!

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 14, 2011, 00:43 Nucas

Parias wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 17:07:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 16:15:
PL wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 16:04:
Interplay...haven't heard from them in a decade or so. Maybe a Free Space HD remake is next...
Already done:
http://scp.indiegames.us/

And still being updated to this day - very much worth playing.

Now, Freespace 3, on the other hand....

arguably, that's the Blue Planet modification.

also, parias, you bum! i should have known the only thing to draw you out of hiding would be a fucking freespace reference. i haven't seen you since planethalflife was a popular website.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 13, 2011, 19:33 zirik

Prez wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 10:40:
Oh, like I'm going to believe anything from Mac Addict. LIES!

what do you expect from the late 90s? apple sold its soul to clone manufacturers and their next OS was supposed to be beOS. until steve took over the helm and put apple on a different track. macaddict was the only publication covering video games for apple at that time.

30. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 13, 2011, 12:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Parias wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 05:31:
Ha, try this one on for size - much newer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ
Yeah that one is pretty damn good for an example. I completely forgot about it. Also a lot of the mods are just brilliant. Blue Planet is pretty nice mod as well, tough. But I really enjoyed it.

Also this is the latest release: http://youtu.be/kOWh142gBjA

Just to add in, the extra mediavp's add things like realistic flak, proper particle rendering, 3d warp's and their updated graphics, much, much much higher texture quality. Yeah it's come one hell of a long way

Oh and if you want to see how far it's come? 3.6.13 hellgate stress test

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2011, 13:05.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 13, 2011, 10:40 Prez

zirik wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 03:28:
Prez wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:54:
It's NOT "Murder Death Kill"!!! It's "Max, Doc, and Kurt"! Or at least that's what devs said when questioned about the violent title by the morality police!

when the game was featured on macaddict they included a preview video in the cd-rom which contains multimedia stuff for the magazine articles. the video says murder death kill at the end.

Oh, like I'm going to believe anything from Mac Addict. LIES!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 13, 2011, 06:53 Dev

spindoctor wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 16:15:
tony wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 15:48:
Pop quiz: How do you kill the success of a new/ re-released title?

Answer: By releasing it exclusively on a service no one has heard of.

Yup. WTF are they thinking?
Probably thinking they are getting extra kickbacks for exclusive and Interplay is desperate to get some cash for fallout online development. They probably tried to figure out what was the easiest way to get a cash infusion and the answer was, redo a known successful old game with better graphics. Plus they probably need to show court they are still a going concern.

If they were making smart business decisions though, instead of the short term gain (small up front exclusive kickback) they would have gone for a steam release and sold a ton more copies for longer term gain.

Too bad Interplay is still showing what's been going wrong over there ever since Caen took charge.

27. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 13, 2011, 05:31 Parias

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 01:50:
sauron wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:31:
Was looking for some representative screenies of the current builds but had a hard time finding the real deal. Any help? Still have copies of FS1 and 2 lying around in my 'hall of fame' PC CD collection.

Thanks ^^
Screenies can very from build to build, mostly because stuff is being added, updated, fixed and so on all the time.

But here's some good inplay vids:
http://youtu.be/e7b8Vx3AlPA
http://youtu.be/e0xL1fA09nA
They're both based on the 3.10 medaivp build, so they're about a year out of date, maybe a bit more. Regardless it's worth it, by and far so much worth it to download. Oh and the gameplay? Very smooth. As long as your card properly supports OGL. Yep, they did one hell of a implementation of OGL to get it done.

Ha, try this one on for size - much newer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ

26. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 13, 2011, 03:28 zirik

It's NOT "Murder Death Kill"!!! It's "Max, Doc, and Kurt"! Or at least that's what devs said when questioned about the violent title by the morality police!

when the game was featured on macaddict they included a preview video in the cd-rom which contains multimedia stuff for the magazine articles. the video says murder death kill at the end.

25. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 13, 2011, 01:50 Mashiki Amiketo

sauron wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:31:
Was looking for some representative screenies of the current builds but had a hard time finding the real deal. Any help? Still have copies of FS1 and 2 lying around in my 'hall of fame' PC CD collection.

Thanks ^^
Screenies can very from build to build, mostly because stuff is being added, updated, fixed and so on all the time.

But here's some good inplay vids:
http://youtu.be/e7b8Vx3AlPA
http://youtu.be/e0xL1fA09nA
They're both based on the 3.10 medaivp build, so they're about a year out of date, maybe a bit more. Regardless it's worth it, by and far so much worth it to download. Oh and the gameplay? Very smooth. As long as your card properly supports OGL. Yep, they did one hell of a implementation of OGL to get it done.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 22:36 Lorcin

mag wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:22:
No, no. That's DOS Full HD.

Omg that's kinda scary - at what point are games going to be remade into "Total 3d HD with large fries and a Coke".

I played one of the first ever FPS (Phantom Maze on the Dragon32/TSR80) and can honestly say - it doesn't keep up with new games. So why keep releasing relatively new games with a half-arsed GFX upgrade?

23. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 22:22 mag

Lorcin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 21:13:
Whilst I'll admit the characters are kinda HD - the environments look distinctly as if they are from a PS2.

I can run a command prompt at 1920x1080 - should m$ start calling that DOS HD?

No, no. That's DOS Full HD.

22. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 21:17 Lorcin

I actually prefer "Max, Doc and Kurt" - that doesn't summon up imagines of the really annoying Demolition Man which I'll still put on if I come across it on the tv (I watched Universal Soldier as well the other night - it's not like I want to watch this crap; just preferable to going to bed).

21. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 21:13 Lorcin

Whilst I'll admit the characters are kinda HD - the environments look distinctly as if they are from a PS2.

I can run a command prompt at 1920x1080 - should m$ start calling that DOS HD?

20. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 20:54 Prez

zirik wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 17:51:
Shineyguy wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 16:24:
I agree with others here. I'd much rather play an HD remake of the original MDK rather than MDK2.

same here. i wish they would do the first MDK (murder death kill) in HD.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 20:31 sauron

Parias wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 17:07:
Interplay...haven't heard from them in a decade or so. Maybe a Free Space HD remake is next...
Already done:

Thanks ^^

Kittens!

18. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 18:49 Creston

Overhaul's Beamdog? :-scratch-:

Creston

17. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 17:51 zirik

Shineyguy wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 16:24:
I agree with others here. I'd much rather play an HD remake of the original MDK rather than MDK2.

same here. i wish they would do the first MDK (murder death kill) in HD.

16. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 17:29 dheer

I own and like the first and second MDK games, even though they're a bit different. The character models in this HD version just look out of place compared to the environments. *shrug*  

I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show.

15. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 17:07 Parias

Already done:

14. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 16:59 StingingVelvet

Beamdog has DRM and I don't trust them to be around 10 minutes let alone 10 years, so... meh.

That said if it's a good remake and a crack exists I might grab it.

13. Re: MDK 2 HD Next Month Aug 12, 2011, 16:27 Optimaximal

Hopefully CDProjekt will snag it for GOG.com, just like they did Broken Sword...  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo