Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced

Noting the first beta of the Counter-Strike modification for Half-Life was released almost exactly 12 years ago (it was actually June of '99, not August), Valve officially announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO), a new multiplatform installment in the Counter-Strike series of tactical shooters planned for release early next year on Windows and OS X (via Steam), PlayStation Network, and Xbox LIVE Arcade. The game is in development at Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment, and Valve plans to show it at this year's PAX Prime and London Games Festival Eurogamer Expo 2011 (Valve sent a subsequent correction about the second show). Here's the announcement, which shows this news may have been rushed due to the premature revelation of the project, since it is dated tomorrow:

VALVE ANNOUNCES COUNTER-STRIKE: GLOBAL OFFENSIVE (CS: GO)

Next Gen Console, PC, and Mac Release Targeted for Early 2012

August 13, 2011 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO).

Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012, CS: GO will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched exactly 12 years ago (CS beta 1, August 1999).

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi, VP of Marketing at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."

CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment. The title is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year's PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.

For more information, please visit http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

25. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 17:15 MajorD

DangerDog wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 15:12:
MajorD wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:45:
I'm indifferent about this as of right now, but just like the COD engine, the Source engine is showing its age; unless this title and all future Valve titles are 'Heavily Enhanced' Source engines..........

Thoughts/comments anyone?

I somewhat doubt they'll push the envelope on this one, look at the core players of counter strike source's hardware usage and that will probably be what they'll target.

Yeah, that's a real good point DangerDog. Hopefully it is HL3/E3 that showcases the new/upgraded Source engine.

Either way, I may have to revisit CS again; it has been a 'very' long time since I've stepped into that arena.......

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2011, 17:20.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 16:57 StingingVelvet

Sons-a-bitches at Valve only selling this on Steam? OMG! What about Gamersgate and Direct2Drive? This is bullshit, you shouldn't sit out a big part of the market just to push your own service!

Also I bet Steam will be required to play the game! What a load of crap, I don't want another client I have to run! Bullshit!

23. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 16:44 Kobalt

Omni wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 16:31:
nin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:34:
Omni wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:28:
HEADSHOT!

FLAK MONKEY!

er, wait...

Humiliation!

wait... wat!?

Shazbot?

22. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 16:31 Omni

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:34:
HEADSHOT!

FLAK MONKEY!

er, wait...

Humiliation!

wait... wat!?

21. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 15:12 DangerDog

MajorD wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:45:
I'm indifferent about this as of right now, but just like the COD engine, the Source engine is showing its age; unless this title and all future Valve titles are 'Heavily Enhanced' Source engines..........

I somewhat doubt they'll push the envelope on this one, look at the core players of counter strike source's hardware usage and that will probably be what they'll target.

I wonder if they'll switch to free to play like they did with TF2.

also that main graphic they put up reminds me a little too much of that oslo guy.

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2011/07/25/136788.jpg

20. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 15:12 Tumbler

Bhruic wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:35:
It's funny looking at their best-selling game franchises they've "created", and seeing how many that Valve actually did themselves. So, uh, Half-Life. Pretty much the entire rest of the list is other teams making/developing games, and Valve hiring them. I mean, it's nice the Valve can recognize talent, but you'd think they'd be able to come up with something original on their own.

...this makes that whole outrage over EA and origin even more bizarre. EA / Origin is so similar to Valve / Steam that they might as well be twins. I have the same issues with both but people screaming that it's not fair to exclude steam make no sense when that is exactly what valve has been doing all along with their content. Ea is going to sell their games through every retailer possible but everything will connect to origin. Valve will sell through every retailer possible but everything will connect to steam.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. It's either ok for both or not ok for either.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

19. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 15:08 bhcompy

So they only interviewed the current crop of neophytes. The players that actually loved the beta(betas 3 through 5.2 played the best of any version) are still getting put by the wayside, as the complaining about the strength of SMGs was mentioned while the tweaked accuracy of the ARs was complained about. Clan play early on was a mixture of MP5, P90(added in beta 4 or 5), and some M4/AK. Beta 6 forward to now it's been mostly AWP/AK or bust, and relatively boring.  

18. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 15:03 Elessar

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:24:
Bots, please!
Doesn't it feel cheap and artificial playing against bots? I get that there's AI in singleplayer games too, but when bots are plopped into an online competitive environment, it just feels so unsatisfying to me versus playing against a human opponent.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

17. Re: World of Tanks Record Aug 12, 2011, 14:37 fix-cz

Boooooooooooring. HL3 or GTFO.  

16. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 14:24 Esoteric

Damn, guess that means no Defense Grid 2 for a while, lol.  

15. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 14:04 Dades

I'll definitely give it a shot, I loved CounterStrike back in the day.  

14. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 14:02 Mostly_Harmless

A sequel to CS already! Too soon, I'm off to make a boycott group on Steam.  

13. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 13:55 Cutter

Seeing how I lived and breathed CS for a good few years and still play on occasion I am most definitely "down" for this, as the kids say.

And they should call it CS: Go, go, go! Storm the front!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 13:53 elefunk

Detailed hands-on from one of the pros they flew in to help test the game:

http://www.eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=9969

11. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 13:45 MajorD

10. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 13:42 Creston

Hidden Path are the guys who did Defense Grid. Seems like quite a massive step in a different direction.

It'll be interesting to see a new CS. And I guess Valve finds making a new CS more interesting than finally finishing Half Life...

Creston

9. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 13:38 ochentay4

Bhruic wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:35:
It's funny looking at their best-selling game franchises they've "created", and seeing how many that Valve actually did themselves. So, uh, Half-Life. Pretty much the entire rest of the list is other teams making/developing games, and Valve hiring them. I mean, it's nice the Valve can recognize talent, but you'd think they'd be able to come up with something original on their own.
Well, Half-Life its one of the best I ever played in my life, and its quite original I might say. Im sure they are making the sequel (its been a long time tough).

8. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 13:35 Bhruic

7. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 13:34 nin

HEADSHOT!

FLAK MONKEY!

er, wait...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 13:28 Omni

HEADSHOT!  

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.