Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced

Noting the first beta of the Counter-Strike modification for Half-Life was released almost exactly 12 years ago (it was actually June of '99, not August), Valve officially announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO), a new multiplatform installment in the Counter-Strike series of tactical shooters planned for release early next year on Windows and OS X (via Steam), PlayStation Network, and Xbox LIVE Arcade. The game is in development at Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment, and Valve plans to show it at this year's PAX Prime and London Games Festival Eurogamer Expo 2011 (Valve sent a subsequent correction about the second show). Here's the announcement, which shows this news may have been rushed due to the premature revelation of the project, since it is dated tomorrow:

VALVE ANNOUNCES COUNTER-STRIKE: GLOBAL OFFENSIVE (CS: GO)

Next Gen Console, PC, and Mac Release Targeted for Early 2012

August 13, 2011 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO).

Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012, CS: GO will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched exactly 12 years ago (CS beta 1, August 1999).

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi, VP of Marketing at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."

CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment. The title is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year's PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.

For more information, please visit http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

45. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 21:57 theyarecomingforyou

What exactly is Valve's strategy here? Everybody has been waiting for HL2-Ep3 / HL3 and yet instead we've been greeted with Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, DOTA and now a new Counter-Strike game. They better be planning something HUGE or else a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

That said, I'm interested to see what they've done with CS. It's been a long time since I played it, which pretty much finished for me when TF2 launched.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 21:40 Bumpy

So designed and developed for consoles first huh Valve?  

43. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 21:40 Yosemite Sam

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:55:
Seeing how I lived and breathed CS for a good few years and still play on occasion I am most definitely "down" for this, as the kids say.

And they should call it CS: Go, go, go! Storm the front!

Nah, they should call it Counter-Strike: AWP Whores

The problem here is CS is the most hacked game there is despite VAC.
Aim bots, wall hacks, etc.
Used to like CS. Got sick to death of the hacking and griefing.

True dat, though a lot of the so called hackers are really just that good at the game. Way back when, when I was at the top of my game, I was accused of hacking all the time and I've never used a hack in my life. One thing I found more annoying then hackers was team stacking, that's just lame. Got to do what cutter said, find good servers and stick to them, then it's a blast.

...and WTF is the love affair with dust, god that map was lame, just a friggan camp fest 99% of the time.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

42. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 21:15 xXBatmanXx

Teddy wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:41:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:28:
Hump wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 17:31:
anyone remember the underrated goodness of Global Ops?

Global Ops was WAY ahead of it's time. They did such a great job with objectives, VEHICLES, and hostages. The layout of the maps was pretty decent. The most fun was shooting out the tires of a Hummer as it was speeding away with your goods.

I think I bought 4-5 copies just to play at LAN parties, as it could be picked up for 5 bucks soon after release.

??

I think you're confusing it with another game, most likely Joint Ops. There were no drivable vehicles in Global Ops, nor vehicles you could hope to damage for that matter. The spawn vehicles auto-gunned you down if you were in visible range.

hmmm...I think you are right. I will have to check tomorrow when I get home.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

41. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 20:41 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:28:

Global Ops was WAY ahead of it's time. They did such a great job with objectives, VEHICLES, and hostages. The layout of the maps was pretty decent. The most fun was shooting out the tires of a Hummer as it was speeding away with your goods.

I think I bought 4-5 copies just to play at LAN parties, as it could be picked up for 5 bucks soon after release.

??

I think you're confusing it with another game, most likely Joint Ops. There were no drivable vehicles in Global Ops, nor vehicles you could hope to damage for that matter. The spawn vehicles auto-gunned you down if you were in visible range.

40. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 20:36 xXBatmanXx

Not interseted.....

for release early next year on Windows and OS X (via Steam), PlayStation Network, and Xbox LIVE Arcade.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

39. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 20:28 xXBatmanXx

38. Re: Marketing speech hurts Aug 12, 2011, 20:23 Mcboinkens

They flew in hardcore players from around the world to test it. Valve's taking this very seriously, which is good considering 1.6 and source and still some of the most played games, despite being around for so many years.  

37. Re: Marketing speech hurts Aug 12, 2011, 20:07 eRe4s3r

Heh, true I am just pointing it out because.. you know.. its a lie. Even if they own the IP now, they did not create it so they are not the creator. Small, but imo important difference.

36. Re: Marketing speech hurts Aug 12, 2011, 20:00 LOC

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 19:34:
Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress)

Newsflash, if you are a corporation, you better know what franchises you created and which you didn't.

Because TF and CS are not by Valve , TF was a mod for Quake, and CS a mod for HL. Done by modders, NOT by valve.

Valve bought the mod teams, and the IPs for those games/mods as I'm sure you know. Therefore they can say whatever they want, since they own the names and all that good stuff.

35. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 19:55 ventry

Elessar wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 15:03:
nin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:24:
Bots, please!
Doesn't it feel cheap and artificial playing against bots? I get that there's AI in singleplayer games too, but when bots are plopped into an online competitive environment, it just feels so unsatisfying to me versus playing against a human opponent.

The problem here is CS is the most hacked game there is despite VAC.
Aim bots, wall hacks, etc.
Used to like CS. Got sick to death of the hacking and griefing.

34. Marketing speech hurts Aug 12, 2011, 19:34 eRe4s3r

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress)

Newsflash, if you are a corporation, you better know what franchises you created and which you didn't.

Because TF and CS are not by Valve , TF was a mod for Quake, and CS a mod for HL. Done by modders, NOT by valve.

33. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 18:50 Teddy

Who wha? What name did you go by back then? It had such a tiny community, it's hard to think that there's anyone who played that game that I didn't play against.

The game had such fantastic ideas, but the lack of polish and shoddy netcode just demolished any chance it had of being truly successful.

One of, if not the first FPS games with multi-section maps. Sri-lanka stands out to this day as one of the best I've ever seen. Then there's the bomb disarming mechanics that made bomb maps so much more intense. No waiting on a circular progress bar, if you didn't have time to sort out what wire it was, just cut one and hope for the best.

Vehicle drop offs for spawn points, being carried in by helicopter or APC rather than just appearing out of thin air.

Thermal vision + bullet penetration on Antarctica made it a damn near impossible map to "win" traditionally, but man it was a whole different experience than anything else before it.

I miss that game...

32. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 18:50 Cutter

Yeah, bots are essential. If only for playing with them when you get tired of the new hacks assholes use untill the game got patched up, and the general idiocy of so many of the players. I really only had 2 or 3 servers that I played on regularly becaused they were constantly moderated and populated with really good, and mature, players.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 18:04 Agent.X7

Yup, loved that game. And Joint Ops.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 17:46 Flatline

Elessar wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 15:03:
nin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:24:
Bots, please!
Doesn't it feel cheap and artificial playing against bots? I get that there's AI in singleplayer games too, but when bots are plopped into an online competitive environment, it just feels so unsatisfying to me versus playing against a human opponent.

Considering that CS was one of the first *major* hacking victims of online gameplay (transparent textures, headshot bots, etc...), no I don't feel cheap playing against bots. I play against them anyway essentially when I play online. At least with bots I don't have a 12 year old screaming obscenities at me.

29. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 17:43 Arnoldish

"the first beta of the Counter-Strike modification for Half-Life was released almost exactly 12 years ago (it was actually June of '99, not August)"

I played it couple of months before I joined the army in June of '99. What was that called?

28. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 17:42 MajorD

No, I missed that one. Was it any good?

So many PC games, so little time...........

27. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 17:31 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

26. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 17:18 MajorD

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 16:57:
Sons-a-bitches at Valve only selling this on Steam? OMG! What about Gamersgate and Direct2Drive? This is bullshit, you shouldn't sit out a big part of the market just to push your own service!

Also I bet Steam will be required to play the game! What a load of crap, I don't want another client I have to run! Bullshit!

But I'm sure you already have Steam loaded anyway, and for quite some time now I'm sure, so it shouldn't be an issue for you. Look at it this way StingingVelvet, at least you don't have to load yet ANOTHER piece of software should you decide to DL and play it. Wink

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo