Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced

Noting the first beta of the Counter-Strike modification for Half-Life was released almost exactly 12 years ago (it was actually June of '99, not August), Valve officially announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO), a new multiplatform installment in the Counter-Strike series of tactical shooters planned for release early next year on Windows and OS X (via Steam), PlayStation Network, and Xbox LIVE Arcade. The game is in development at Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment, and Valve plans to show it at this year's PAX Prime and London Games Festival Eurogamer Expo 2011 (Valve sent a subsequent correction about the second show). Here's the announcement, which shows this news may have been rushed due to the premature revelation of the project, since it is dated tomorrow:

VALVE ANNOUNCES COUNTER-STRIKE: GLOBAL OFFENSIVE (CS: GO)

Next Gen Console, PC, and Mac Release Targeted for Early 2012

August 13, 2011 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO).

Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012, CS: GO will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched exactly 12 years ago (CS beta 1, August 1999).

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi, VP of Marketing at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."

CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment. The title is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year's PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.

For more information, please visit http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

View
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

65. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 07:03 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 21:57:
What exactly is Valve's strategy here? Everybody has been waiting for HL2-Ep3 / HL3 and yet instead we've been greeted with Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, DOTA and now a new Counter-Strike game. They better be planning something HUGE or else a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

I like that you think they care about our disappointment. They are making money hand over fist with what they are releasing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 04:24 Jerykk

Wesp5 wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 03:47:
Sigh. Another cheap mod-to-game conversion to make some quick cash like with TF2, Portal1/2 and L4D1/2. When will Valve ever release something new again, like HL2 Episode 3? In my eyes, making games for fun is not the main center of Valve anymore now, it's just making games to keep Steam running and milking it. After BF3 and others left Steam, they probably thought it's time for their own military shooter...

What you just said doesn't really make any sense. Episode 3 wouldn't exactly be new. It would be an expansion pack to HL2, just like Episodes 1 and 2 were. I wouldn't exactly call TF2, Portal or L4D quick cash-ins either. In fact, those games were all much more innovative and new than any of the HL2 expansions.

63. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 03:47 Wesp5

Sigh. Another cheap mod-to-game conversion to make some quick cash like with TF2, Portal1/2 and L4D1/2. When will Valve ever release something new again, like HL2 Episode 3? In my eyes, making games for fun is not the main center of Valve anymore now, it's just making games to keep Steam running and milking it. After BF3 and others left Steam, they probably thought it's time for their own military shooter...  

62. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 03:07 Krovven

Only pussies play with bots instead of against real people.

They probably prefer to play with Real Dolls instead of real women too.

61. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 01:50 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:38:
I got kicked/banned from the odd server in my CS heyday. CS was the first game where directional audio was incredibly important to victory. I couldn't tell you how many rounds I won because I heard somebody's footsteps.

Which is why I have always used headphones. It is amazing how mad people get even today on modern shooters that you come around a corner and shoot as you come around the corner BECAUSE YOU HEARD THEM. HACKER@!!@@OPYIE)(&FHBF

I do it all the time. I have also been kicked and banned from so many friggen CS and DoD servers.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

60. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 01:40 nin

Or you guys could actually look into using the CSS console. For example, typing hud_saytext_time 0 into console allows all text messages to stay on screen for 0 seconds. In other words, it removes chat.

The only reasonable thing to hate CSS for is the high number of hackers, but if its really an issue for it, spend some time finding servers without them.

Or I could just use bots and not have to fuck with any of that...let's see...decisions, decisions.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

59. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 01:25 Mcboinkens

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 00:20:
And, almost every game had a couple of kids that kept insulting each other...a typical scenario was:

And this is exactly why some of us cheer the addition of bots.

Or you guys could actually look into using the CSS console. For example, typing hud_saytext_time 0 into console allows all text messages to stay on screen for 0 seconds. In other words, it removes chat.

The only reasonable thing to hate CSS for is the high number of hackers, but if its really an issue for it, spend some time finding servers without them. People using them are obvious, even the well-masked ones. If someone has an absurd 3+ KD, then check their time played this week or all time. If it's alot, then chances are they have just become good. If not, its probably a hacker's puppet account.

Or, if you are really lucky, you can find a few people to always play with and just passcode you 4v4 server. Problem solved.

To those concerned about consolitis, remember than the orange box came out on console as well and Portal/TF2 were not consolized because of it. Valve knows their target audience. They flew in well known pro-community names to test their beta, prying them for criticism. They aren't aiming this game at the casual players.

58. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 00:49 Teddy

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 00:20:
And, almost every game had a couple of kids that kept insulting each other...a typical scenario was:

QFT.

57. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 00:20 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

56. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 00:05 Rockn-Roll

I think some of you forget how Valve started. It was mostly Gabe Newell, a former Microsoft producer, who decided that he wanted to produce a game with Mike Harrington, a former Microsoft programmer.

The reason? They liked playing games.

Half-life was the game they were developing...it was the vision of those two people. But, they needed more than just one programmer and one producer. They needed to hire some programmers and artists. Back then there was no large labor pool of game programmers and artists like there is today. They needed to hire programmers and artists out of college...or try to hire the few programmers who have worked on games before.

John Cook and Robin Walker were two talented programmers that Valve hired for Half-Lfe. Team Fortress was not what Valve was interested in. Team Fortress Classic was mostly just a test of the game engine. They did work on Team Fortress 2 a little bit at a time, but what they really wanted was a military style shooter. And, Team Fortress was John and Robin's vision...they became part of Valve...so now Valve also has a vision of Team Fortress...it wasn't like a large corporation buying an IP so they can make money.

For their military style shooter they needed some more talented programmers. Again...their choices were to hire college grads will little or no experience or try to hire experienced programmers that worked on other games. Their selection? Again...they looked at the mod community and hired Jess Cliffe and Minh Le. However, in this case they didn't just use them to work on their military style game...they simply helped Jess and Minh to turn their mod into a full game! It was an inspiration and not some cold-blooded corporate investment-like decision to make money...Counter Strike was actually fun.

So...at the beginning it was some people that wanted to make games...they hired people that were already known for making games. If Valve had hired college grads then Half-Life and their military style shooter probably would not have done as well as they did. Plus, Team Fortress 2 may never have come to light...definitely not the loads of fun game that we now have available, and counter strike may have just passed on like so many other mods.

So, this announcement says to me that they want to change their focus from a total roll on the floor laughing game like TF2 to produce another military style game. They could just make something totally new and different. But, they like Counter Strike, and they know that lots and lots of gamers like it as well and would really enjoy upgraded graphics and such.

I'm sure Valve will come up with something totally new in the future, but right now they are having the most fun with TF2 and Counter Strike.

Oh...and it wasn't the cheating that turned me off on CS/CS:S. I played on a server that had exceptional admins and didn't tolerate hacks...I suspected many of them were real agents, military personnel, and officers. What turned me off was like a year after CS:S was released very young kids were playing it. And, almost every game had a couple of kids that kept insulting each other...a typical scenario was:

player 1: What? Are you gay?
player 2: No. You're gay.
player 1: Move over...you're in my way...gay.
player 2: Shut up.
player 1: You shut up...I was here first.
player 2: I was here before you.
player 1: No. I was.
player 2: What? Are you gay?

It was horrible when no admin was around...even when there was one kicking them didn't always work as they would just rejoin.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2011, 00:14.

Let's Rock!

55. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 23:43 Teddy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 23:17:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:36:
Not interseted.....

for release early next year on Windows and OS X (via Steam), PlayStation Network, and Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Yeah, people seem to have glossed over this salient fact, Consoles have jumped into the mix.

I wonder how horrible the final product will be because of it. Not that I haven't already played several lifetime's worth of CS and CS:S, but still...

*EDIT* read the pro-CS player's review, apparently they did not instantly drop dead from playing it, so it can't be that bad.

Will be interesting to see how it goes. The console port of CS was abysmal from what I heard of it. That said, none of the game's mechanics really stand out as something that couldn't work on console.

You really only have 2 weapons, your pistol and your rifle. Planting and defusing bombs are a single button press (outside of the unecessary mechanic of pulling out the bomb as a weapon).

Consider the round based nature of it is identical to what we already see in any other multiplayer shooter that already has a console version. Hell, Counter-strike is a pretty damned simple game concept to begin with, it's not like it's even possible to 'dumb it down' any further.

I'd be disappointed if they went with the 'standard' these days and did the one button insta-grenade throw. That never fails to irritate me when I see it in a game. Tossing a grenade with my left hand while my right hand is still holding my gun steady (and even firing it). It's absurd. No soldier in his right mind, barring the extremely ambidextrous would DARE through a grenade with their offhand for fear of a misplaced throw, not to mention how do you get the damn pin out? Anyone who suggests using "teeth" deserves to be handed a replica grenade and be allowed to break their teeth trying. (/rant)

My only questions now are, how many unlocks will there be (and there will be unlocks) and whether or not this is going to be a completely paid product or the same sort of F2P monstrosity they've turned TF2 into.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2011, 23:48.

54. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 23:17 MoreLuckThanSkill

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:36:
Not interseted.....

for release early next year on Windows and OS X (via Steam), PlayStation Network, and Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Yeah, people seem to have glossed over this salient fact, Consoles have jumped into the mix.

I wonder how horrible the final product will be because of it. Not that I haven't already played several lifetime's worth of CS and CS:S, but still...

*EDIT* read the pro-CS player's review, apparently they did not instantly drop dead from playing it, so it can't be that bad.

53. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 23:02 Teddy

PHJF wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:38:
Oh, and M4 >>>>>>>>>>> AK

Agreed and proven time and again if you ever watch tourney play. Even the T's will pick up M4's every chance they get because the spray pattern is far more predictable.

AK's are fine for pub use and fantasitc first shot accuracy, but any round fired beyond the first is always a crapshoot with it in terms of where it's going to land. In a match, though, I'd dump the AK in a heartbeat given the chance to replace it with an M4 + suppressor.

52. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:56 Teddy

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:05:
True dat, though a lot of the so called hackers are really just that good at the game.

That's what they all claim, anyway. When I was an admin, way before VAC, we used to use the hack that made walls see-through to watch people we suspected of hacking. The number of people we caught who "were just awesome and not hacking" but were actually hacking was ridiculous. You could see aimbot keep someone's crosshairs on a guy through a solid wall, and watch people with the same hack we used watch other people through walls.

Such is, of course always the problem with hacking. Everyone who hacks will say "No, I'm just that good." until proven otherwise, upon which they'll say it's a false positive, and the people who literally are just that good will rarely be believed.

I was never awesome at the game, but I had a friend that was one of those ridiculous savants that everyone accused of cheating. I knew otherwise of course because I'd seen him run absurd scores like 50-2 on my own machine which I knew full well had no hacks on it.

So yes, chances are the people who claim they aren't hacking and are just awesome, probably are hacking, but then some really are that good and they'll never get the credit they deserve. At least outside of observed tournament play. :/

Such is life in a multiplayer shooter.

51. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:49 MajorD

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:06:
Jensen wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:03:
Did you see the leaked screenshot?
http://i.imgur.com/PMAqD.jpg

Lol. Free hat for CS:Go with pre-order!

LOL! That is hilarious....nice one Agent.X7. I wouldn't put it past them.

50. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:40 Dades

The AK is more powerful but requires more precision and burst firing. The M4 is very forgiving but does less damage per shot.  

49. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:38 PHJF

I got kicked/banned from the odd server in my CS heyday. CS was the first game where directional audio was incredibly important to victory. I couldn't tell you how many rounds I won because I heard somebody's footsteps.

Oh, and M4 >>>>>>>>>>> AK

Steam + PSN: PHJF

48. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:06 Agent.X7

Jensen wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:03:

Lol. Free hat for CS:Go with pre-order!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

47. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:05 Agent.X7

True dat, though a lot of the so called hackers are really just that good at the game.

That's what they all claim, anyway. When I was an admin, way before VAC, we used to use the hack that made walls see-through to watch people we suspected of hacking. The number of people we caught who "were just awesome and not hacking" but were actually hacking was ridiculous. You could see aimbot keep someone's crosshairs on a guy through a solid wall, and watch people with the same hack we used watch other people through walls.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

46. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:03 Jensen

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer