Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Man, it can be really aggravating to see stories on other gaming websites based on stories from here with no attribution, considering how religiously we credit those sites in return. Thankfully there are still many sites with a more communal spirit in this regard, but seeing the yoinked posts on other sites is downright depressing. C'mon guys, fair is fair!

Sorry for the whining, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time in the 15 years of operating this site that I've brought this up.

Unfair Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: NeoPods. Thanks Daniel.
Heaven or Hell 2.
Army of Ages.
Links: When Coaches Had Class. Thanks Cutter.
Stories: Marvel Bribes Retailers to Destroy DC Comics. Thanks Boing Boing.
US military loses contact with hypersonic aircraft.
Sesame Street pair Bert and Ernie 'will not marry'.
Science: Hydrogen made by enzyme is faster and cheaper.
Simulate proton smashing with updated LHC@home.
Media: Mythbusters Sabotage.
STAR WARS XXX- teaser #1. SFW.
Cheeky Monkeys Steal Your Sunglasses.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2011, 17:08 Ant

Creston wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 14:05:
It's your site, Blue, and your work. Complain all you want.

Want us to go over there and raise some stink?

Creston
Let's riot!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2011, 11:27 crypto

Well Blue, all I can say is that it's their loss really... the credit you give shows me that your doing something I don't have time for, which is spend all day going thru mountains of useless articles to find the one or two I'm interested in. Your like the google of game news without the need to query anything Allthumbsup  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 21:50 Hyatus

*Puts on devil's advocate hat*

All Marvel is trying to do is make comics from both sides collectible again. They release rare covers and make the DC comics worth more to buy since there will be less of those.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 18:43 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 16:09:
Apologies for not naming names, but I feel like I'm already playing in the mud in hashing through all this.

The fact that you chose not to made it clear you probably didn't want us flinging our poo at the neighbors.

Sigh Fine!

Pout

Creston

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 16:09 nin

Apologies for not naming names, but I feel like I'm already playing in the mud in hashing through all this.

The fact that you chose not to made it clear you probably didn't want us flinging our poo at the neighbors.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 16:02  Blue 

Assassin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 12:29:
Stephen, I remember you had a certain policy regarding certain sites. Why did you changed your mind?

To clarify your question to others, the policy you refer to was to avoid linking to sites that stole things.

My primarily reason for scrapping that policy was to provide the best possible service to the readers here. The most important thing is to offer the information and resources they are looking for, and trying to find another source for a story to avoid linking to the original would impede that, and on some level would put me in the same dishonest boat as them. Likewise, that would also obviously be the case if I started stealing the stories outright in retribution.

On an unrelated point, I actually began to rethink this years ago when a the founder of another gaming site that was at the top of my shit list for stealing stories died. Not that it changed my perspective on any of his bad behavior, but it did make me think about bearing grudges, and how short life is to get too caught up in such things. Oddly, he was the second game news dude who stole a lot to die young, but I think it's reasonable to call this an odd coincidence, rather than karma, as I don't think failing to attribute a gaming news source is a capital offense.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 15:01 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:53:
And speaking of scummy, what Marvel is doing there boggles the mind. That's really bad.
Yeh, I heard about this last month
http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/169-scott-cohn

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 14:05 Creston

It's your site, Blue, and your work. Complain all you want.

Want us to go over there and raise some stink?

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 13:55 PHJF

I almost never even click through stories. I read the blurb on here and then go through the comments.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 13:53 Cutter

And this is why we're loyal to Blue's and not those other dirtbag sites.

And speaking of scummy, what Marvel is doing there boggles the mind. That's really bad.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:58 sir

My money is on Computer and Video Games. Just call it a hunch.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:29 Assassin

Blue wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 12:12:
Assassin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 11:43:
Same thing is happening to me... for years. I could name some big gaming websites stealing from me - "thank you" would be enough...

I know, Silviu, I see ripoffs from Gamer's Hell all the time. On the other hand, yours is one of the first sites that comes to mind when I say "there are still many sites with a more communal spirit in this regard." I just didn't want to try and make a list of them for fear of who I'd forget to include.
Stephen, I remember you had a certain policy regarding certain sites. Why did you changed your mind?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:26 Assassin

Verno, there are several methods to verify who is stealing from who One of them is to be the first who write a not-so-today news - chances are big to watch how many gaming websites "discover" that news right after you posted it. And not citing the source.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:22 Fion

Just remember Blue, they only do it because they know they cant compete otherwise. Your run the best game-related news site out there and they know it.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:14 Verno

I thought what I wrote was clear. We learned of a game delay directly from the publisher and posted about it, so we were, in effect, the source of the story. A vast majority of sites reported this as being from here because of this.

The site of which I speak contacted the same publisher, and wrote of having "confirmed" the delay in giving the game's new EU release date,without referencing what they were confirming.

Ahh ok. Sorry to hear it, a friend of mine is a webmaster for a moderately sized political news site and deals with stuff like that from time to time along with image leeching, video leeches and so on. Unfortunately there are just no professional standards for internet journalism and even if there were there is no body to enforce them

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:13 Assassin

xXBatmanXx, do I know you?

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2011, 12:19.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:12  Blue 

Same thing is happening to me... for years. I could name some big gaming websites stealing from me - "thank you" would be enough...

I know, Silviu, I see ripoffs from Gamer's Hell all the time. On the other hand, yours is one of the first sites that comes to mind when I say "there are still many sites with a more communal spirit in this regard." I just didn't want to try and make a list of them for fear of who I'd forget to include.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:09 xXBatmanXx

Silviu.

Ah. Didn't know that was you under Assassin.... Welcome.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 12:05  Blue 

Verno wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 11:39:
Just asking but is it possible they just got the same information from a similar source? Or did they just link repost your story word for word?

Well they did get it from a "similar source" (the publisher) but it is hard to believe they didn't go to that source for their own report based on the story here.

I thought what I wrote was clear. We learned of a game delay directly from the publisher and posted about it, so we were, in effect, the source of the story. A vast majority of sites reported this as being from here because of this.

The site of which I speak contacted the same publisher, and wrote of having "confirmed" the delay in giving the game's new EU release date,without referencing what they were confirming.

This can be a scummy business. A good example from yesterday is the story of BF3 requiring Origin. It was based on nearly week-old tweets which were noticed by BF3Blog. Most sites said as much, but I saw one story on a really big site that didn't credit BF3Blog at all. Instead they listed the source of their story as the tweets, as if they coincidentally noticed them independently after several days.

None of this is the end of the world, but it is certainly disrespectful and aggravating. It's also demonstrative of shoddy journalism, to whatever degree that term applies to game news.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 11:51 El Pit

What about DRM, Blue? Ever thought about it? Maybe all readers need to be always online to... Oh, wait... Damn.

This "bootlegging" of news sites is en vogue for a lot of blogs and other sites. For them, it's much cheaper to do close to no own research/writing, but they take all the ads they can get. Unlike you, they don't care about annoying huge beeping and blinking pop-up ads.

I can't see how they could be stopped from doing so. Hacking them can only stop them for a couple of hours before they up their backup in a new blog.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo