Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

It seems yes is the answer to the question of whether Battlefield 3 will require the use of EA's new Origin service, even for users who purchase a physical copy of DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. A question on Twitter directed at Global Battlefield Community Manager Daniel Matros asked "If we get the DVD version of BF3 do we still have to use Origin?" This was followed by another attempt, asking: "What about the rumors spreading on the forums that we need origin to play BF3 if we have the DVD?" These inspired the following reply: "Yes those 'rumors' are true :)." Thanks Teddy via BF3Blog.

View
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:13 entr0py

I am surprised simply because EA has taken the opposite tact with The Old Republic, announcing that you will never need to install Origin if you buy the boxed version.

I guess this is no more invasive than when games absolutely require Steam. Still, I hate Steam integration. So I reserve the right to resent EA for this decision.

It is not enough to keep me from buying BF3. But it is a knock against any game, and I'm sure in the future it will discourage me from buying other EA games that I'm not as crazy about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:11 Ratty

MrBone wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:51:
Wow, this is absolute bullshit. Why do I have to love BF3 so much! Khaaaannn!!!
I've been lucky so far. All this shit is happening to games I would never play: Diablo 3 and now BF 3. When this eventually happens to games I do care about I believe I will quote you: Khaaaannn!!!

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:06 Dades

MrBone wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:53:
The big fucking deal is having to use yet another game manager...are you really that dense?

Yep, line in the sand as far as I'm concerned. I'm not installing anymore of these things, 3 was more than enough and if this is successful you know Acti-Blizz and Ubisoft aren't far behind. If that means I don't buy any future EA games at all on the PC then so be it. I'll still have plenty of games to play without them.

Before you know it these jerkoffs will be demanding you install their always on cell phone app. Enough is enough, they're videogames for christs sake, not a business opportunity for you to permanently install yourself to my wallet.

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:57 ASeven

DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:32:
necrosis wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:03:
No ingame browser? Have to login through the web? Plugins? Sounds like LAN play without a internet connection is shot too.

Well that sealed the deal.

NO SALE

There was a lot of people complaining about it on the alpha discussion forums but I would say it was split 50/50 as to those who were okay with it an those who weren't. It's going to be a hard sell for DICE to make this kind of switch from the way things have been done traditionally on the PC.

Further proof there's many pc gamers that are absolute retards and should have gotten a console instead.

I swear, DICE fanboys are amongst the worst, if DICE told them it was fun to eat your own shit these retards would immediately do it.

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:53 MrBone

Fingers M wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:29:
Origin operates just like steam does in this context, I don't see what the big deal is.

The big fucking deal is having to use yet another game manager...are you really that dense?

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:52 DangerDog

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:33:
What I can't figure out is what's the benefit of having to use your browser to find servers instead of just doing it through the game? How does doing it through the web improve the experience for either the player OR EA?

Well, by having it out of game it means that they can continue to tweak it and fix bugs without needing to roll out a new client patch for the game itself.

That's probably the only major advantage that I can think of.

They're really trying to sell it as a "social" portal for Battlefield players to converge on. They're sort of wanting to capture the community feeling that people get when they hang out on fan sites, or at least that seems to be their end goal.

By the way, if you have an EA log in account from say Bad Company 2 then you're already signed up on both Origin and "Battlelog" web site. It uses your EA account name as your soldier name, there wasn't a way to choose a different name.

One copy of the game = one person playing Battlefield 3.

You can't create multiple "soldier" avatars through "Battlelog".

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:51 MrBone

Wow, this is absolute bullshit. Why do I have to love BF3 so much! Khaaaannn!!!  

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:50 Ruffiana

Luke wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:37:
Data wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:28:
What's with companies trying to be as annoying as possible? Just release a damn game, and let us play it without your business'y asshole wiped all over it.

because peps want all kinds of shit put into the games , they have to do it that way , learn to say NO its very simple.
Horsearmor people said "i don't care , next DLC crap was put into the games , and so on

Before DLC it was called 'an expansion'. This concept is absolutely nothing new.

That's neither here nor there because this service is 1) about shoring up protection against piracy 2) stepping back into between the middle-man of used game sellers and the customer and 3) establishing a cheaper and more cost-effective model of digital distribution without giving a kickback to Steam or other providers.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:41 StingingVelvet

This was pretty obvious a while ago. Origin works fine though, I don't see the big deal if you accept games that force Steam, GFWL and Impulse. If you're against all of them I get that.

The website thing is what pisses me off.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:40 vrok

Not surprised I guess but still... EA actually did comment once that Origin wouldn't be necessary to play their games if you bought them elsewhere. In this case it's even completely useless since Battlelog provides all the social functions by itself and the game could just as well be launched directly from Battlelog if they wanted. I fucking hate Origin. Fucking Witcher 1 prepatch loads faster than Origin. Screw you Valve for putting this idea in their heads.  

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:37 Luke

What's with companies trying to be as annoying as possible? Just release a damn game, and let us play it without your business'y asshole wiped all over it.

because peps want all kinds of shit put into the games , they have to do it that way , learn to say NO its very simple.
Horsearmor people said "i don't care , next DLC crap was put into the games , and so on

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:33 Parallax Abstraction

What I can't figure out is what's the benefit of having to use your browser to find servers instead of just doing it through the game? How does doing it through the web improve the experience for either the player OR EA?  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:32 DangerDog

necrosis wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:03:
No ingame browser? Have to login through the web? Plugins? Sounds like LAN play without a internet connection is shot too.

Well that sealed the deal.

NO SALE

There was a lot of people complaining about it on the alpha discussion forums but I would say it was split 50/50 as to those who were okay with it an those who weren't. It's going to be a hard sell for DICE to make this kind of switch from the way things have been done traditionally on the PC.

I would say it wasn't the biggest issue, neither was having to run "Origin".

More people were bemoaning the lack of a "commo rose" for communicating with other players, you know like pressing the Q key to have a pop up menu where you can issue voice commands like "Go go go" or "thanks". This isn't going to happen either, it uses the same system that Bad Company 2 used - if you highlight on a friendly medic then hit the Q key it gives the appropriate "I need a medic" response.

They also "streamlined" the squad system, at least in the alpha it was really dumbed down, you couldn't see other squads or make new ones it was sort of automated.

The beta will be out and everyone can decide for themselves if the changes they've made either piss you off to high heaven or you can "deal with it". The core gameplay was rather fun but if you're expecting Battlefield 2 with improved graphics and destruction then brace yourself for something more like Bad Company 2.5 with bigger maps.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:31 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:56:
Yep, it's annoying but not surprising if you played the Alpha.

You log in to the "battle log" website they've created, there you get access to a web based server browser, buddies list and can view stats, setup VOIP channels (web browser plug-ins required). When you join a server the game loads in the background, while this happens "Origin" pops up to the foreground and it cycles through advertisements on EA's store. If you minimize it then BF3 starts minimized as well. I couldn't find a way to stop it from popping up.

You need to leave your web browser open and have "Origin" running in the background while you play BF3.

There is no in game server browser, some people think that it was missing because it was Alpha but DICE went through all this work to make the game run with the web based frontend and "Origin". There's no way they would double their work and put a traditional server browser in game as well.

So...

- $60 game.
- Have to sign up for Origin.
- Have to sign in to yet another website.
- Get hit with ads, despite you already having paid 60 bucks to play.

That all sounds absolutely wonderful. The one thing it's really missing is some really awesome DRM. Not just be online all the time, as you have to be with this obviously, but more offensive. Say, like, the modern version of Starforce, with irrevocable activations, of which you get exactly one. And it has to "call home" every ten minutes, because after all, if you weren't a pirate ten minutes ago, you might have become one in the meantime through the magic of the internet.

Come on, EA, don't let us down. Becomes the biggest fucking jackass publisher on the block, like we all know you want to be.

Creston

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:30 Frags4Fun

Best comment ever!

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:30 vermin

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:26:
Yeah, this is clearly so much better!

no, it's just as annoying to me. and I'm not going to buy the game. but you steam retards might finally get a clue why a lot of people have so much disdain for steamworks.

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:29 Fingers M

Origin operates just like steam does in this context, I don't see what the big deal is.  

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:28 Data

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:26 nin

Razorclaw wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:19:
now steam idiots will hopefully understand how annoying it is to everyone else each time a steam only game is announced.

Yeah, this is clearly so much better!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:21 Smooth Gravy

Don't care. Can't wait  

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo