Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

It seems yes is the answer to the question of whether Battlefield 3 will require the use of EA's new Origin service, even for users who purchase a physical copy of DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. A question on Twitter directed at Global Battlefield Community Manager Daniel Matros asked "If we get the DVD version of BF3 do we still have to use Origin?" This was followed by another attempt, asking: "What about the rumors spreading on the forums that we need origin to play BF3 if we have the DVD?" These inspired the following reply: "Yes those 'rumors' are true :)." Thanks Teddy via BF3Blog.

View
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

71. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:33 Overon

Bah I don't even like the Battlefield series.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2011, 19:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:28 Verno

Origin popping up and displaying stuff each time I started playing was also annoying. I eventually just dragged the window mostly off screen and left it there.

You can disable that somewhere in the Origin options I believe.

In the alpha feedback, I complained about having to install 4 pieces of software just to play. Browser plugin, Origin, the alpha itself and I think the last was a 2nd piece of browser software. I also didn't like having to start the game from the browser. You couldn't just launch with a simple desktop icon.

Yeah, I went on a pretty amusing rant in the post-alpha survey. 2 browser plugins, Origin, and battlelog is just too much. They need to improve that process somehow. It also bounces you around which is just bad design. Launching the game in Origin launches battlog which launches Origin which launches BF3 for example. I couldn't run bf3.exe by itself either but I guess we know why now.

I think that's pretty naive, but then I guess we shall see in the long run.

There's nothing naive about it, just reading what people are saying. Naive would be just assuming you know the outcome when there are far too many factors in play to have any idea right now.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

69. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:10 Nate

In the alpha feedback, I complained about having to install 4 pieces of software just to play. Browser plugin, Origin, the alpha itself and I think the last was a 2nd piece of browser software. I also didn't like having to start the game from the browser. You couldn't just launch with a simple desktop icon.

Origin popping up and displaying stuff each time I started playing was also annoying. I eventually just dragged the window mostly off screen and left it there.

Despite all of these annoyances, I still pre-ordered.

68. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:00 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:47:
I don't know any such thing. I'm actually surprised at the majority of the responses I've seen so far being fairly frustrated and the fact that its making people rethink the game.

I think that's pretty naive, but then I guess we shall see in the long run. In any case anyone who played Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 2 already has an EA account, which is the same thing as an Origin account. There is no new account to get here, just a client download which honestly for a multiplayer game is a good thing.

67. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:54 Crustacean Soup

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:47:
When asked directly "Is there going to be an in-game server browser?" Dice replied "Battlelog is essential to the BF3 experience".

Good to know, I missed that.

66. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:51 Dev

entr0py wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:47:
I don't entirely buy the slippery slope argument. They can get away with it because it's a fantastic game. The same was true of Half-Life 2 back in the day. But if Origin integration hurts other releases that aren't guaranteed blockbusters, I think EA will be smart enough to notice.
Yeah you might have thought the same would have been the case for ubi too. Nope, after the first game with ubi crazy DRM they said they were going to do all future games that way too.

65. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:48 Dev

Gadzooks wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:34:
Technically what you see in steam IS the web. Just inside of the steam client, rather than directly through IE, Firefox, Chrome or whatever other browser you use. So yes, when you want to play HL2, you are opening the steam web browser to play it first, even if it is minimized in the systray.
Yeah but hl2 doesn't require a separate web plugin running on a browser outside of steam. It also doesn't require you to even be online (although it is mostly a single player game).

64. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:47 entr0py

Dev wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:29:
Smooth Gravy wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:21:
Don't care. Can't wait

And that's exactly what EA is counting on. They are going to take it as a sign they can keep on in this direction.

I don't entirely buy the slippery slope argument. They can get away with it because it's a fantastic game. The same was true of Half-Life 2 back in the day. But if Origin integration hurts other releases that aren't guaranteed blockbusters, I think EA will be smart enough to notice.

63. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:47 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:15:
If consumers really hate it as much as you think then they won't give in to it and it will quickly die, but you and me both know that isn't going to happen,

I don't know any such thing. I'm actually surprised at the majority of the responses I've seen so far being fairly frustrated and the fact that its making people rethink the game.

As for your job thing, spend the $20 or whatever it is on RoboForm. It is a literal godsend for that shit. Better yet just try to get HR contacts and email them directly.

Have they confirmed that the server browser is web-only somewhere, or are people just making inferences from the alpha?

When asked directly "Is there going to be an in-game server browser?" Dice replied "Battlelog is essential to the BF3 experience". So it's looking incredibly doubtful at best. They wouldn't put the resources into designing two different server browsers.

And yes to whoever asked, Battlelog not only requires Origin but it also has a mandatory web plugin installation. I can only imagine the fun EA could have with that.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

62. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:43 Crustacean Soup

Have they confirmed that the server browser is web-only somewhere, or are people just making inferences from the alpha?  

61. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:42 ^Drag0n^

Not meaning to nit-pick here, but Once you register HL2, you only need to be in "online" mode to play the Multiplayer component.

Otherwise, you can go into offline mode in steam, turn off your router, and blast away with zero net presence.

Better example would probably be TF2

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

60. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:41 Crustacean Soup

It reminds me of the days of using ASE or Gamespy.

Why does it matter? I pretty much leave Chrome running all the time anyways, it's no skin off my back.

59. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:39 Dev

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:32:
requirements of installing browser plugins are not good in my opinion.
Ugh, browser plugins? Somehow I missed that.

58. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:34 Gadzooks

Frijoles wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:11:
JaguarUSF wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:06:
Half-Life 2 requires Steam.
Battlefield 3 requires Origin.
Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this?

Half-Life 2 doesn't require me to open a fucking web page to play it.

Technically what you see in steam IS the web. Just inside of the steam client, rather than directly through IE, Firefox, Chrome or whatever other browser you use. So yes, when you want to play HL2, you are opening the steam web browser to play it first, even if it is minimized in the systray.

57. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:31 elefunk

If it means I have a single integrated client for my friends list, server browsing, and other such stuff, instead of the shit friends list that Bad Company 2 had, I'm all for it.  

56. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:30 ^Drag0n^

I hear you, mate.

I think many companies realize that it's an employers market, and they'd rather have you do the shit job of entering your resume into their database format over having someone under their employ paid to actually read it.

^D^

55. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:29 Dev

Smooth Gravy wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:21:
Don't care. Can't wait

And that's exactly what EA is counting on. They are going to take it as a sign they can keep on in this direction.

54. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:28 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:18:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:50:
Have you been job hunting lately? You literally have to make a new account for every single fucking job you apply for.

Ur doing it wrong.

Creston

Hey if you have a tip let me know, it's driving me insane. A lot of good jobs are simple resume emails, but I'm trying to get anything I can right now and shitty jobs all require making an account on some shitty store's website.

53. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:23 ^Drag0n^

This really doesn't concern me as much as the Diablo 3 story, as BF3 is an online MP game which you need the internet connection for anyway.

Yeah, it blows. Kinda in the same way as Quake:ET's player registration did, but, whatever.

That said, I've put BF3 on my "unwanted" list. No real interest in having GFWL, Steam, *AND* some other new client (and all it's growing pains) to trod through just to shoot at people on a virtual battlefield. Plenty of other non-DRM, non-account-requiring options out there to choose from.

^D^

52. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:22 Dev

Not a surprise.

I knew all those people saying this wasn't the case were just wishful thinkers who were hoping EA puts customers first.

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo