Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

It seems yes is the answer to the question of whether Battlefield 3 will require the use of EA's new Origin service, even for users who purchase a physical copy of DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. A question on Twitter directed at Global Battlefield Community Manager Daniel Matros asked "If we get the DVD version of BF3 do we still have to use Origin?" This was followed by another attempt, asking: "What about the rumors spreading on the forums that we need origin to play BF3 if we have the DVD?" These inspired the following reply: "Yes those 'rumors' are true :)." Thanks Teddy via BF3Blog.

View
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

51. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:18 Mist

The Alpha version of the web interface was a lot better than any previous game's ingame interfaces. The stats page and everything were laid out a lot better and were a lot more interactive. The Friends/Party interface was better, although better in this case means 'more Facebook-like' which is not necessarily a good thing, but it's not terrible either.

The really cool thing about the game literally just being the game and nothing else is that it makes the client extremely lightweight. I was able to tab and swap from fullscreen to windowed smoothly at any time during gameplay, including during loading screens, to interact with the web interface between rounds.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:18 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:50:
Have you been job hunting lately? You literally have to make a new account for every single fucking job you apply for.

Ur doing it wrong.

Creston

49. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:15 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:02:
It is annoying and time consuming so maybe that's why people don't want to be doing it in their entertainment hobby when it serves no one but the company doing it. Having yet another game library to worry about, another program installed and so on is not what many people want to deal with. People have said pretty emphatically that they don't want it in many topics here so obviously it's a big deal to some. At what number does it stop being ok?

If consumers really hate it as much as you think then they won't give in to it and it will quickly die, but you and me both know that isn't going to happen, which then in turn means it isn't actually that big a deal.

48. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:11 Frijoles

JaguarUSF wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:06:
Half-Life 2 requires Steam.
Battlefield 3 requires Origin.
Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this?

Half-Life 2 doesn't require me to open a fucking web page to play it.

47. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:06 JaguarUSF

Half-Life 2 requires Steam.
Battlefield 3 requires Origin.
Am I the only one who really doesn't care about this?

46. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:02 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:50:
Have you been job hunting lately? You literally have to make a new account for every single fucking job you apply for. THAT is fucking annoying and pointlessly time consuming.

Having a what... 4th account? 5th? Is not a big deal.

It is annoying and time consuming so maybe that's why people don't want to be doing it in their entertainment hobby when it serves no one but the company doing it. Having yet another game library to worry about, another program installed and so on is not what many people want to deal with. People have said pretty emphatically that they don't want it in many topics here so obviously it's a big deal to some. At what number does it stop being ok?

I'm all for choice but when you have enough of these closed platforms it's just basically recreating television channels and we all know how that one turned out. One of the big promises about Origin was that it wouldn't require itself to run the games, that's something I really liked and its largely what got me to install it. EA has already gone back on that promise once and we're still in the early days here.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

45. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 18:00 MajorD

Very disappointing! Unless things change here for the better (no Origin requirement & in game server browser) I will no doubt be rescinding my pre-order. Enough is enough.....I have plenty of other games and hobbies to keep me busy w/o missing this one.

44. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:50 StingingVelvet

MrBone wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:53:
The big fucking deal is having to use yet another game manager...are you really that dense?

Have you been job hunting lately? You literally have to make a new account for every single fucking job you apply for. THAT is fucking annoying and pointlessly time consuming.

Having a what... 4th account? 5th? Is not a big deal.

43. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:47 Joss

Data wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:28:
Just release a damn game, and let us play it without your business'y asshole wiped all over it.

This deserves to be quoted again!

42. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:45 Jackplug

Well just did the one thing I didn't think i would do, cancel BF3 pre-order. Why is it when EA get involved they always like to keep the community at arms stretch, well here is news for EA, my arm is stretched out too..  

41. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:38 DangerDog

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:20:
Exactly what he said. Not really a big deal, but people blow things up and give themselves aneurysms over every little nuance.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Everyone that disagrees with me is retarded/a console loser/a young boy/likes eating whatever shit is served to them! SO THERE!

I wouldn't call it "Not really a big deal", the Alpha was one map so if you got kicked from a server and sent back to the web browser to pick another the load time seemed to be quick because you were reloading the same map.

Sometimes you can stick with one server and get lucky to find a decent one right off the start but more often than not you need to hop around till you find one that either doesn't have insane bullshit rules or where the skilled players aren't totally stacked on one team.

This means you'll be exiting and relaunching the game.. a lot.

That's the main disadvantage of not having an in game server browser. It's not a complete game killer though, with BF1942 through BF2142 I've been using out of game server browsers because DICE couldn't manage to make a half decent in-game browser for tinkers damn. Bad Company 2 was the first game they made that actually had a server browser that worked.

40. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:32 Verno

Krovven wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:24:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:16:
The fanboys were pretty strong with this one

Because the GAME, is excellent, so I hear. So once you get past all the bullshit business practices outside the game...which for a lot of people, that's all they care about.

The gunplay is good, great even. We didn't really see any vehicles, one LAV was it. So it's kind of hard to tell unfortunately. The map design is terrible so far but we only saw a single map and it was mostly infantry centric. The gunplay might be amazing but if all of the maps are like the alpha map then it will be a pretty disappointing experience.

Did you need to quit and relaunch to change servers?

Unfortunately yes. You can organize outside of the game but once in the game its very limited as well. People assumed this was due to the Alpha status but after all of the news I'm beginning to doubt it. Origin is very feature limited so they probably didn't build around its infrastructure on purpose.

The website appearance is fine and the server browser is sadly the best Dice has ever made (they make horrifyingly bad server browsers) but its tight integration into the game and requirements of installing browser plugins are not good in my opinion. It's really more for the Call of Duty crowd who thinks picking a server is hard. Hell it's matchmaking by default, you only see it if you click on Filter.

The Old Republic doesn't require Origin

It's been in development longer than Origin has so that's no surprise. They would have needed to work on the patching and other tools while Origin was still a dead name that people missed.

Anyway, I tolerate Steam because Valve is very considerate to consumers and largely supports the community at large. I'm not sure I will be tolerating Origin, EA has a long history of anti-consumer decisions when it comes to the PC platform.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

39. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:29 Luke

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:20:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:56:
Yep, it's annoying but not surprising if you played the Alpha.

You log in to the "battle log" website they've created, there you get access to a web based server browser, buddies list and can view stats, setup VOIP channels (web browser plug-ins required). When you join a server the game loads in the background, while this happens "Origin" pops up to the foreground and it cycles through advertisements on EA's store. If you minimize it then BF3 starts minimized as well. I couldn't find a way to stop it from popping up.

You need to leave your web browser open and have "Origin" running in the background while you play BF3.

There is no in game server browser, some people think that it was missing because it was Alpha but DICE went through all this work to make the game run with the web based frontend and "Origin". There's no way they would double their work and put a traditional server browser in game as well.

Exactly what he said. Not really a big deal, but people blow things up and give themselves aneurysms over every little nuance.

Well some are looking for other games to come out , and fear when the games are released that they have to load browser , twitter , face.... , dlc shop , data collecting programs for ach ect.ect.

And all they want is to play , just play

38. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:24 Krovven

The fanboys were pretty strong with this one

Because the GAME, is excellent, so I hear. So once you get past all the bullshit business practices outside the game...which for a lot of people, that's all they care about.

37. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:21 ASeven

ASeven wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:57:
Further proof there's many pc gamers that are absolute retards and should have gotten a console instead.

I swear, DICE fanboys are amongst the worst, if DICE told them it was fun to eat your own shit these retards would immediately do it.

The fanboys were pretty strong with this one, and despite this disappointing change to the way you connect to servers they didn't have any problem with filling them up with people wanting to play the game.

One map, and not a very good one, with lots of "gameplay" bugs and issues yet people were still hooked on it like crack cocaine.

All I can say is stock up on antacid tablets and safely secure all breakable items from your computer area before you sit down to play Battlefield 3.

Well, I'll be playing Red Orchestra 2 instead. By the looks of it not only it seems ro2 is more of a pc game, I have a feeling it will also last much longer than bf3. Ro2 is turning out to be what bf3 should have been in the first place.

36. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:20 Agent.X7

DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:56:
Yep, it's annoying but not surprising if you played the Alpha.

You log in to the "battle log" website they've created, there you get access to a web based server browser, buddies list and can view stats, setup VOIP channels (web browser plug-ins required). When you join a server the game loads in the background, while this happens "Origin" pops up to the foreground and it cycles through advertisements on EA's store. If you minimize it then BF3 starts minimized as well. I couldn't find a way to stop it from popping up.

You need to leave your web browser open and have "Origin" running in the background while you play BF3.

There is no in game server browser, some people think that it was missing because it was Alpha but DICE went through all this work to make the game run with the web based frontend and "Origin". There's no way they would double their work and put a traditional server browser in game as well.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Everyone that disagrees with me is retarded/a console loser/a young boy/likes eating whatever shit is served to them! SO THERE!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:16 DangerDog

ASeven wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:57:
Further proof there's many pc gamers that are absolute retards and should have gotten a console instead.

I swear, DICE fanboys are amongst the worst, if DICE told them it was fun to eat your own shit these retards would immediately do it.

The fanboys were pretty strong with this one, and despite this disappointing change to the way you connect to servers they didn't have any problem with filling them up with people wanting to play the game.

One map, and not a very good one, with lots of "gameplay" bugs and issues yet people were still hooked on it like crack cocaine.

All I can say is stock up on antacid tablets and safely secure all breakable items from your computer area before you sit down to play Battlefield 3.

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:15 Krovven

Fingers M wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:29:
Origin operates just like steam does in this context, I don't see what the big deal is.

When was the last time you saw Valve or any AAA game like this on Steam load through a browser?

I loaded the BF3 Alpha, it was in a window when it loaded up, so I changed settings and relaunched the game and it just crashed after getting the menu, every time. So I gave up on it.

But the whole, loading through the browser is just ridiculous if you ask me. I didn't like it at all.

EA had such a strong positive reaction for the first few months of this marketing campaign, beginning with the videos. They have completely fucked it up in just about every way possible, and it's been nothing but bad press since E3.

I was all over BF3...and now, I just don't know any more. And not because it requires Origin (I expected that), but because of the fucked up way it gets launched through Origin, the debacle with Valve/Steam, the EULA on Origin, the dropped PC version of 1943, etc, etc. Just one of those things, not a big deal. Add all the problems together and I'm considering skipping this, just like I have since BF Vietnam.

EDIT: Question for those that did play the Alpha...to switch servers, do you have to quit the game and relaunch it?

33. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:13 Marvin T. Martian

Wasn't impressed with the ALPHA test at all. No matter what platform the game is released on it's basically run,gun,shoot and die mayhem with no redeeming game play at all other than the pretty graphics.
I'll check it out again during the beta, but from what I've seen so far, it's the first nail in the BF franchise, origin being the next.

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 17:13 ASeven

Ratty wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:11:
MrBone wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:51:
Wow, this i s absolute bullshit. Why do I have to love BF3 so much! Khaaaannn!!!
I've been lucky so far. All this shit is happening to games I would never play: Diablo 3 and now BF 3. When this eventually happens to games I do care about I believe I will quote you: Khaaaannn!!!

Heck since I've gone indie these kind of worries completely disappeared.

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo