Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

It seems yes is the answer to the question of whether Battlefield 3 will require the use of EA's new Origin service, even for users who purchase a physical copy of DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. A question on Twitter directed at Global Battlefield Community Manager Daniel Matros asked "If we get the DVD version of BF3 do we still have to use Origin?" This was followed by another attempt, asking: "What about the rumors spreading on the forums that we need origin to play BF3 if we have the DVD?" These inspired the following reply: "Yes those 'rumors' are true :)." Thanks Teddy via BF3Blog.

View
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

91. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 03:08 Jackplug

It should really be all intergrated into the game, it feels like a f2p game. If they are tryin to be like steam, then they should have a client like steam and not a crappy webpage.

If they start with the crappy advertising, slapped in my face all the time then its gonna lose cos the only time its gonna be open is when I play the damn game which I feel should be put back cos its far from finished and if it comes out as it is, then ppl will be taking it back cos its Bugged to Hell.

Steam is great, there is no advertising slapped into your face all the time, its "if" you choose to look at the store page.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

90. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 03:00 Muscular Beaver

I would laugh my ass off it it wasnt so sad that you people are complaining about that they try to copy crap that you so willingly embraced.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

89. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 01:20 entr0py

Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 00:44:
Fingers M wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:29:
Origin operates just like steam does in this context, I don't see what the big deal is.

The big deal is that EA is trying to copy Steam and replace it with an aggressive advertising application...they have tried something like this before.

Um, it's not more advertizing aggressive than steam. Exactly like steam, it comes up with the store tab first by default, but that can be changed in the settings. If anything it's less ad heavy, there's no equivalent of the "steam news" ad popup.

Battlelog is BF3 specific, but I didn't notice any ads on it, and hopefully they will keep it that way.

But, there's no danger of Origin replacing Steam anyway. Because it only carries EA games. I know they're a big publisher, but they're not larger than the rest of the PC gaming market combined.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2011, 01:45.

88. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 00:44 Rockn-Roll

Origin operates just like steam does in this context, I don't see what the big deal is.

The big deal is that EA is trying to copy Steam and replace it with an aggressive advertising application...they have tried something like this before.

Let's Rock!

87. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 23:39 DangerDog

Daezd wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 22:41:
let me guess. you have to watch a 15 second ad every time you pull the trigger before a bullet will come out of your gun.

Actually... aside from Origin "popping" up to do its slide show thing, they have these upright poster type billboards with advertisements for Battlefield 3 in them - I think they're just placeholder graphics for real in-game ads.

86. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 22:41 Daezd

let me guess. you have to watch a 15 second ad every time you pull the trigger before a bullet will come out of your gun.  

85. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 21:31 Tumbler

I think this is going into my request q on Goozex. I had it pre ordered on the 360 but canceled when they got into the pre order bs. After trying the alpha I'm puzzled what this game will be. Not in a hurry to play at this point.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

84. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 11, 2011, 21:29 Dev

Sempai wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 20:35:
UConnBBall wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 20:10:
Not buying

Yes you will.

And anyone else here screaming "I wont buy your stuffs EA!" Is a fuckin liar too.
You'll do whatever they tell you to do in order to play your shiny new BF3 and you'll like it. Stop lying to yourself.
Speak for yourself. I haven't purchased a BF game since 1942, and I loved that thing, and Desert combat for it. But BF2 and BF2142 just didn't interest me, I tried a demo of one or both of them and it was just blah. I was gonna put down the $5 each during the sale a week ago until I remembered that its on origin.
BF3 doesn't interest me enough to want to buy it either so far, and all the stuff EA is trying to shown down people's throats makes me less and less likely to buy it. Maybe when it hits $5.

I've enjoyed BC2, more than I enjoyed MW2 actually (never tried #1 in those two series). Both of those I waited for a good sale.

83. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 11, 2011, 20:47 shihonage

I dunno man. I never cared for multiplayer in the quasirealistic shooters, and may have stopped caring about competitive team-based multiplayer entirely.

The main appealing part of BF3 and MW3 for me, by far, is the cinematic scripting in the single-player campaign, but frankly, there's nothing even remotely new to be seen there conceptually. Once you start cinematic scripting, you can't give player more freedom, because he'll break your shit immediately.

It's an ever narrowing tunnel, and, after all the COD games and MoH and Homefront, it wouldn't take much to dissuade me from buying BF3. Shitty DRM just might easily relegate it down to the priority list, well into the bowels of "wait until it's 14.99 or less" category.

Meanwhile I'd still have Deus Ex:HR, Bioshock: Infinite and Rage.

82. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 20:46 MajorD

Next up: Rage with SP 'Always Connected' DRM requirement!

EDIT: Well, based on the following article (4th paragraph), I stand corrected.....I hope, but time will tell.

Here is the link: Tim AssHat Willits

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2011, 21:18.

81. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 11, 2011, 20:35 Sempai

UConnBBall wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 20:10:
Not buying

Yes you will.

And anyone else here screaming "I wont buy your stuffs EA!" Is a fuckin liar too.
You'll do whatever they tell you to do in order to play your shiny new BF3 and you'll like it. Stop lying to yourself.

Now, for those of you who actually man up and grow a pair, and keep your credit card in check on day one, good for you, cause that's the only thing these corporate whores understand.

But by all means, keep shouting how you're not gonna take it anymore while opening your wallet.

80. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 11, 2011, 20:10 UConnBBall

Not buying  

79. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 20:05 Teddy

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 19:54:
Krovven wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:24:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:16:
The fanboys were pretty strong with this one

Because the GAME, is excellent, so I hear. So once you get past all the bullshit business practices outside the game...which for a lot of people, that's all they care about.

Wrong--far from excellent. But each to their own.

To each their own and wrong in the same breath?

You're right it is far from excellent. It's phenomenal. Best multiplayer shooter ever created to date, and you can tell that from one map.

78. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 20:03 Nate

The alpha server browser was on a web page. It wasn't bad, had the general stuff you expected in a server browser.

The web page would also show your stats and stuff.

77. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:54 Marvin T. Martian

Krovven wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:24:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:16:
The fanboys were pretty strong with this one

Because the GAME, is excellent, so I hear. So once you get past all the bullshit business practices outside the game...which for a lot of people, that's all they care about.

Wrong--far from excellent. But each to their own.

76. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:53 Crustacean Soup

So, you could open the game, which brings up the main menu, where you open the browser, click a server, and have the game start.

Or, you could open the game, which brings up a web page, where you open the browser, click a server, and have the game start.

I don't see the problem yet.

75. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:50 ASeven

Ok, confused now. Is the server browser a general separate program, like valve's server browser, or is it a webpage?  

74. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:44 Fingers M

I remember when everyone used a 3rd party server browser and hated all of the in game browsers. The bf3 browser is very good, and the interface and how everything is integrated is pretty slick. Also the browser is separate from origin, so my statement of the way origin operates like steam here still stands.  

73. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:36 ^Drag0n^

"Battlelog"...

Just sounds so...appropriate

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

72. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 19:34 Fingers M

MrBone wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:53:

The big fucking deal is having to use yet another game manager...are you really that dense?

Lol perhaps you should ask yourself the same question.

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo