Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

It seems yes is the answer to the question of whether Battlefield 3 will require the use of EA's new Origin service, even for users who purchase a physical copy of DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. A question on Twitter directed at Global Battlefield Community Manager Daniel Matros asked "If we get the DVD version of BF3 do we still have to use Origin?" This was followed by another attempt, asking: "What about the rumors spreading on the forums that we need origin to play BF3 if we have the DVD?" These inspired the following reply: "Yes those 'rumors' are true :)." Thanks Teddy via BF3Blog.

View
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:20 SpectralMeat

JaZeeL wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:10:
This game sounds less and less appealing as it gets closer to launch. I'm probably going to pass on this one, too. Too many alternatives.
This

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:19 vermin

now steam idiots will hopefully understand how annoying it is to everyone else each time a steam only game is announced.  

9. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:17 Dades

Between Red Orchestra 2 and the other games coming out this year I don't think I really need to play this. Every time they announce something it makes me less interested.

Server browser... In a web browser
DVDs dont require Origin... oh they do.
Map editor possible... no its not.

So all of that bullshit about EA games not requiring Origin and EA just trying to fight Steam was a joke. They just want Origin to be Steam, they don't care about retailers or other digital stores.

8. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:10 JaZeeL

This game sounds less and less appealing as it gets closer to launch. I'm probably going to pass on this one, too. Too many alternatives.  

7. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:09 Cutter

It never ceases to amaze me that people not only put up with this garbage, they actually pay for it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:03 necrosis

DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:56:
Yep, it's annoying but not surprising if you played the Alpha.

You log in to the "battle log" website they've created, there you get access to a web based server browser, buddies list and can view stats, setup VOIP channels (web browser plug-ins required). When you join a server the game loads in the background, while this happens "Origin" pops up to the foreground and it cycles through advertisements on EA's store. If you minimize it then BF3 starts minimized as well. I couldn't find a way to stop it from popping up.

You need to leave your web browser open and have "Origin" running in the background while you play BF3.

There is no in game server browser, some people think that it was missing because it was Alpha but DICE went through all this work to make the game run with the web based frontend and "Origin". There's no way they would double their work and put a traditional server browser in game as well.
No ingame browser? Have to login through the web? Plugins? Sounds like LAN play without a internet connection is shot too.

Well that sealed the deal.

NO SALE

5. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 16:01 ASeven

DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:56:

You log in to the "battle log" website they've created, there you get access to a web based server browser, buddies list and can view stats, setup VOIP channels (web browser plug-ins required). When you join a server the game loads in the background, while this happens "Origin" pops up to the foreground and it cycles through advertisements on EA's store. If you minimize it then BF3 starts minimized as well. I couldn't find a way to stop it from popping up.

You need to leave your web browser open and have "Origin" running in the background while you play BF3.

There is no in game server browser, some people think that it was missing because it was Alpha but DICE went through all this work to make the game run with the web based frontend and "Origin". There's no way they would double their work and put a traditional server browser in game as well.

The more I hear abot bf3 the more I'm convinced ro2 will be more of a true successor to the bf series than bf3 itself.

4. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 15:56 DangerDog

3. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 15:52 Byte

I'm not sure why it should come as a surprise to people lol.. but whatever  

2. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 15:51 nin

No - really????

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 15:49 Steelcamp

whatever as long as I play  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo