Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale

A playable single-player Windows demo is now available for Frozen Synapse, offering a sample of Mode 7's simultaneous turn-based strategy game. The demo includes a randomly generated Skirmish along with three "specially selected" missions from the single-player campaign. The demo is available on Steam, where the game is also on sale for 50% off through Monday. There is also a standalone demo, and this is mirrored on AtomicGamer and Worthplaying, and Mac users should not despair that there's no OS X demo yet for the multiplatform game, as word is: "A Mac demo will follow very soon once its surface becomes so shiny that small insects slide comically along when they attempt to land on it."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 11, 2011, 20:12 UConnBBall

Buy it and play it. Multi-player is where it is at. Every match has been great and friendly.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 19:41 jimnms

I haven't tried a MP game yet myself. Is everyone running the Steam version or the stand alone version? I bought it from the Frozen Synapse site, so I'm using the stand alone version, but I did activate my key on Steam too. Are there any differences other than the achievements? Does it allow challenging through the Steam friends?

My Frozen Synapse name is the same as here if anyone wants to play. I haven't played in a while, and only played the SP campaign. I'm on the Dallas server btw.

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 18:01 JaguarUSF

Numinar wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:11:
Love it but as someone else said, it's hard.
That's what she said.

15. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 17:50 nin

Got home: running at 19x10 here.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 16:37 Shok

I haven't tried multiplayer yet but playing the campaign off and on for a few weeks and I think I've done 20 or so missions out of (I believe) 50 total.

I like being able to save videos after the game ends. The youtube uploader built into the game didn't work well but the offline video save works fine.

Here are the ones I've uploaded so far on my youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/androskris?feature=mhsn

Another cool thing is that each map is procedurally generated so you can play the same map as long as you have the seed number.

13. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 16:11 Numinar

It's a deterministic simultaneous turn based real time game. It's got a syndicate vibe with xcom tension. Love it but as someone else said, it's hard.

At the moment my win loss ratio is unsalavageable, but thats O.K. This sale and demo will hopefully flood the servers with noobs which will shed tears for me to masturbate my self esteem to.

:Oh yeah, Single player game is actually kind of meaty. Written by nerds for nerds. Love it.

12. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 16:08 Alamar

Bumpy wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:52:
Does it not go higher than 16x10? My native 19x10 is not on the list, fonts look crap.

Can't run it in a window at 16x10? I always run my stuff in a window at 16x10, but my monitor is 19x12 (which helps because of various horizontal bars that would get in the way).

If I remember to, and can find an hour or two, I'll check this out... considered buying it in a previous sale, but not sure I'll enjoy it.

-Alamar

11. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:58 nin

Does it not go higher than 16x10? My native 19x10 is not on the list, fonts look crap.

Thought I had it at 19x10 at home, but I'd have to double check.

10. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:58 ASeven

Anyone interested in strategy and tactics, it is your duty to get this game. A shining gem of pc gaming and my GOTY.  

9. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:55 JaguarUSF

MattyC wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:20:
How popular is the multiplayer?

The longest I've ever had to wait for a game was about 20 seconds. I usually have about 3-4 games going on at the same time. I submit some turns over a 5 minute period, and play at my leisure, usually alternating when I and my opponent is online.
More in-depth thoughts can be found in my glowing review.

8. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:52 Bumpy

7. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:41 Teddy

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:17:
I suck at this game, but I don't regret buying it and supporting them.

It's fun, but I do tend to get my ass handed to me.

And yes, same here.

This is one of those games that has a carefully hidden learning cliff. It's easy enough to pick up and move your guys around and figure out what to do. But when you play against some decently experienced opponents, you realize just how bad you really are.

Thus far, I'm lucky if I win 1 out of 5 games I play.

6. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:35 Teddy

How popular is the multiplayer? I won't need to spend twenty minutes trying to get a game going or anything will I?

From what I experienced, in a 20 minute period, I got around 5 invites to games.

The thing people don't often get in this is that it's not quite the same as other games where you sit down and bang through one match beginning to end. You CAN play it that way, of course, but it's generally acceptable to have multiple games on the go at once, where you recieve notice that a turn has been completed by player X in game Y, and then watch what happened and debate your next move.

So while a dedicated match with nothing else going on can end in 5-ish minutes, you can have a host of games running that span hours/days/weeks as people get around to sending in turns. Just depends on the mentality of the two players involved, whether they only want quick games, or whether they're the sort to play many games and let them go on as long as they need to finish.

5. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:25 nin

How popular is the multiplayer? I won't need to spend twenty minutes trying to get a game going or anything will I?

I played it a week or two after it launched, and while I didn't play multi, I got tons of invites until I turned it off. Your stats/profile are stored per server, and there's several different servers to connect to (and I believe it prompts you every time you log in).

You can also do a sort of "play by email" option, where you and another player can take turns over days or weeks. So if you have a friend in mind to play, each time a player makes a turn, I believe the other gets notified.

4. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:20 MattyC

3. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:17 nin

2. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:16 MattyC

This is a game I had been interested in but unsure of so... yay demo!  

1. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:00 Doma

For anyone who has not tried it out yet.

This is a great game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJrUY27O0Y&ob=av3e

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo