Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Alpha Centauri TMs

GameSpot notes new trademark applications by Electronic Arts for Alpha Centauri, one for "entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game," and another for "computer game software." Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is the sci-fi turn-based strategy game released to much acclaim back in the twentieth century (and recently rereleased on GOG.com), so the obvious implication is that this somehow relates to a revival of that. On the other hand, GameSpot notes that EA has filed trademarks for several vintage games without seeming to pursue developing them, with the possible exception of ongoing reports that Starbreeze is developing a Syndicate revival for the Syndicate trademark EA filed one year ago.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 12, 2011, 11:22 Zadig

I loved AC. The voice overs, very memorable factions, and gameplay that let you do almost anything were all excellent. The AI wasn't very good and the expansion content was clearly things that weren't good enough for the original game, but it's still a classic.

Like everyone else I see no way any 'remake' will do it justice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 20:52 Pete

Alpha Centauri is nothing like DA or ME, it was a Civilization spin off. A damn good one!]
Best civ game ever made.

Doin' it Big

17. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 19:00 Quboid

venomhed wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 18:58:
I hear nothing but bad news about Dragon Age 2, and I thought Origins was just ok. Guess this is one series to skip?

I do like ME1 and 2 though, for the most part.

Alpha Centauri is nothing like DA or ME, it was a Civilization spin off. A damn good one!

- Quboid

16. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 18:58 Quboid

That GOG link 404's for me. Here's a working one:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

- Quboid

15. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 18:58 venomhed

I hear nothing but bad news about Dragon Age 2, and I thought Origins was just ok. Guess this is one series to skip?

I do like ME1 and 2 though, for the most part.

14. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 16:21 Cutter

venomhed wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 12:59:
EA sits on the largest treasure chest of classic games. Wasteland, Starflight, Sentinnel Worlds, all the Origin stuff (Ultima, Moebies, Autoduel, 3400 AD), Archon and too many more for me to recall.

Not all have to be remakes, but there are some great games there.

Yes, and it makes us all sick. They don't need to "reboot" any of these games just update them with new graphics. I'd love to see the Ultima series remade in glorious 3D. But it'll never happen because the market isn't big enough for them anymore. Now it's all dumbed down soap-opera'ish RPG tripe like Bioware has been forced to make.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 15:26 creatorswhim

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 11:53:
Alpha Centari is one of my favourite games of all time. It does scare me though that since 2K owns Firaxis, they wouldn't make it. Games like that are unfortunately very niche now and EA is not interested in niche stuff anymore. A good developer could make this awesome but yeah, if this becomes more Facebook micro-transaction shovelware, I will have to declare vendetta.

Brian Reynolds designed AC, what is he... oh.
"On June 30, 2009, Zynga announced that Brian Reynolds was leaving Big Huge Games to lead the formation of Zynga East, and serve the role of Chief Game Designer."

So if EA tries to make a Facebook version, they're already behind in tech.

12. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 15:19 venomhed

You're a lone space marine, and invading alien force, and you're the ONLY person that can save the universe.....

Thanks consoles! Thanks for throwing us back, oh, 20 years?

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2011, 18:57.

11. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 14:35 PHJF

third-person cover-based shooter  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 13:33 TheEmissary

Alpha Centauri is probably one of the deepest turn-based strategies on the PC so it would be a travesty to see X-COM style reboot jumping genres. I somehow doubt we will ever see the same complexity in gameplay again. There is honestly no real way to manage all the details that game had on a gamepad. For myself personally what helped Alpha Centauri standout above other 4x turn-based games was the unit creation/customization and trying out new strategies.

Sid Meier and Firaxis need to be involved deep in the design of the new game and not in name only.

9. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 12:59 venomhed

EA sits on the largest treasure chest of classic games. Wasteland, Starflight, Sentinnel Worlds, all the Origin stuff (Ultima, Moebies, Autoduel, 3400 AD), Archon and too many more for me to recall.

Not all have to be remakes, but there are some great games there.

8. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 12:49 Dirwulf

I was excited until I saw EA...

I guess that was about 2 seconds.

7. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 12:37 Satoru

The AC trademark is meaningless. EA will never make the game we want.

The main problem is that what developer is going to make a PC only version of AC? At least with Syndicate you could create a game that would work across the PC and consoles. But the 'traditional' AC simply can't be done on consoles.

Thus is EA going to give some unknown studio tons of money to make AC and only be able to sell it on the PC platform? Of course not. They're more likely to go the current "X-COM" FPS reboot route of some kind with AC.

The trademark thing is more to disallow 2K from making an AC named game, rather than enabling EA to make one.

6. Re: Game Reviews Aug 11, 2011, 12:25 ASeven

Sweet, soneone is remaking AC!

*looks at publisher*

Aaaaaw crap

5. Re: Game Reviews Aug 11, 2011, 12:16 CommunistHamster

My crystal ball says it'll be browser based, sorry guys.  

4. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 11:59 MattyC

If done right I would LOVE a new AC game. Not sure if that will happen though. Games of that style seem to be very niche now. Sure Civilization is still kicking, but that is about it.  

3. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 11:53 Parallax Abstraction

Alpha Centari is one of my favourite games of all time. It does scare me though that since 2K owns Firaxis, they wouldn't make it. Games like that are unfortunately very niche now and EA is not interested in niche stuff anymore. A good developer could make this awesome but yeah, if this becomes more Facebook micro-transaction shovelware, I will have to declare vendetta.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 11:37 Doma

Dont be a facebook game please....

1. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 11:36 Cutter

AC was a great game. Side always goes back to his old stuff sooner or later so it's a safe bet it's on.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo