Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans

Funcom announces that 300,000 new players have joined Age of Conan: Unchained in the first month since the barbaric MMORPG went free-to-play, doubling the game's revenue stream. "The launch of the hybrid business model has been very successful so far," says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. "The activity levels on the servers are booming with a fourfold increase in players during July, we more than doubled the revenue generated from the game, and we have experienced a positive development in subscriber numbers. This definitely gives us great hope for the game’s future." They also announce plans for new content based on the new Conan the Barbarian movie that opens next week:

To celebrate the revival of Conan the Barbarian on the silver screen, the ‘Age of Conan: Unchained’ development team are hard at work creating a unique, movie tie-in Adventure Pack titled ‘Savage Coast of Turan’. The adventure pack will introduce all new world areas, as well as monsters, characters and player equipment that audiences can experience in the movie as it hits theatres on August 18th.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans Aug 12, 2011, 12:29 Fion

Glad to see AoC doing good.

Though on a side- topic don't get me started on the new Conan movie. For all intents and purposes it looks to be a copy-paste of Schwarzenegger's Conan, and on that side it likely won't do remotely as good because it'd be hard to top. On the other side of that coin they really should have done one of the original Robert E Howard stories, it had been rumored the story was based off one of his best, Red Nails, but now we see that isn't the case. It pisses me off that they decided to just remake the 82' classic (and likely fail dramatically) instead of going with some of the original Conan work, which blows the shit out of any conan movie, even Arnold's version.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 18:39 Deepjay

Doubling their revenue could mean they brough in $100 instead of the usual $50.

The new PVP server with the Blood & Glory ruleset is pretty awesome I have to say, but it can get pretty brutal. When you're ganked/killed what not, you drop a random BOE item from your inventory. Kinda annoying when its a stack of food, or potions, or that blue drop you just got a few kills ago...

But still, knowing no-one has the mommy protection of guards in the open world, it certainly ups the ante.

14. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 13:46 Omni

Age of Conan: Unchained but imprisoned.

WoW private servers are better than AoC F2P.

13. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 12:58 Dirwulf

There is no way this movie is going to be better than one with Arnold and James Earl Jones. Or Mako. Or Max Van Sydow. Or Sandahl Bergman. All these reboots just proves that Hollywood ran out of original ideas a loooooooooong time ago.

12. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 12:57 saluk

They are so not the same character. I mean, one of them fought barehanded, and the other one uses a sword. Where are the similarities?

Actually, to be a little less sarcastic, I may not be remembering correctly, but does conan ever rape anyone?

11. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 12:20 Alamar

Blizzard announces 300k (and 600k) leave, and Funcom announces 300k join... Kind of funny, and not statistically connected, but PR never needs to be accurate ; )

I actually really enjoyed my Herald of Xotli (or something) when Conan launched, but I just ran out of solo content in the 40's ish, and haven't been back since... If I wasn't so busy, I'd consider checking out the F2P version.

-Alamar

10. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 12:15 Fibrocyte

fujiJuice wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 11:35:
Techie714 © wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 10:59:
Good for them, that is good news. I didn't even know their was another Conana movie on the way...I have not even seen a poster, trailers, commercial, etc. Must have a big advertisement budget....

Jason Momoa going from Khal Drogo to Conan, going to be kind of weird.

Pretty much the same character. Khal Drogo = Conan with lots of tanning spray.

9. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 12:14 Fibrocyte

MattyC wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 12:07:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 11:09:
Great to hear. Age of Conan is by no means a bad MMO. It's just not the one for me.

Have you played it lately? Any good? I got it at launch and it was complete garbage. MMO launches are never prefect but AoC was just ... ugh. The talent trees didn't even work! It absolutely had potential but I have avoided it since simply because I was ticked that I payed full price for a beta.

I haven't played it in some time but have talked to a few folks who have. They've cleaned it up quite a bit. I'm content with LoL/Terraria until D3 comes out, otherwise I'd give AoC another whirl.

8. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 12:14 Wallshadows

Jason Momoa going from Star Gate Atlantis to Game of Thrones was far more weird for me to watch.

7. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 12:07 MattyC

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 11:09:
Great to hear. Age of Conan is by no means a bad MMO. It's just not the one for me.

Have you played it lately? Any good? I got it at launch and it was complete garbage. MMO launches are never prefect but AoC was just ... ugh. The talent trees didn't even work! It absolutely had potential but I have avoided it since simply because I was ticked that I payed full price for a beta.

6. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 11:51 Cutter

Khal Drogo was pretty Conan-like to begin with, so not really. I think he'll do a good job.  

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

5. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 11:35 fujiJuice

Techie714 © wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 10:59:
Good for them, that is good news. I didn't even know their was another Conana movie on the way...I have not even seen a poster, trailers, commercial, etc. Must have a big advertisement budget....

4. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 11:28 Animals for Crackers

Hrmm, read the title and immediately thought Conan was coming to the PS3 Move. The combat system in Conan seems more suited for that control scheme than any other MMO I can think of, which added another layer of plausibility.

Then I thought of EQ: Online Adventures and FF Online and how great it was that the consoles are finally getting a more modern MMO to finally supplant them.

The original intended headline seems a bit more boring now. edit: looks like it was fixed

And yeah, mark down me down as another fan of the old films who saw the trailer and came away with a somewhat lukewarm impression. Oh well, there's still The Hobbit to look forward to for my High Fantasy fix!

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2011, 11:41.

3. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 11:09 Fibrocyte

2. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 11:08 nin

Trailer looked kinda meh, but I admit I'm not that familiar with Conan in general.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 10:59 Techie714 ©

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo