Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD

After yesterday's release of playable console demos for DRIVER San Francisco, we sent an inquiry to Ubisoft to see if a Windows and/or Mac demo is planned, and learned the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are the only platforms getting an advance sample of this driving action game. Along the way we did receive a concrete release date for the game, which was previously revealed to be in September and later reported to be August 30 for North America. We're told the Windows version's release date in North America (which is listed as September 6 on every retail listing we can find) is being pushed back a few weeks to September 27th, and that while an OS X edition is still planned, its release date is now TBD.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 10:39 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 09:24:
I'm continually amazed they put money into this franchise, it's never going to be Grand Theft Auto or even close to that. Time to move on. They could have jumpstarted a whole new IP by now with the dev and marketing costs. I can only imagine this is one of those franchises that Joe Bob sees on the Wal-mart shelf and buys based on the name or boxart.

I really wish they would just go back to what made Driver awesome - the first one. So much fun.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 09:27 StingingVelvet

kanniballl wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 08:30:
I don't MIND always-on DRM since I tend to be always online and I've hardly ever had any problems with FIOS. And my gaming sessions tend to be shorter now.

But if my ISP was flakey or I traveled a lot and played games on a laptop, I'd be ticked.

Disregarding your own connection there are two big reasons to dislike this DRM: 1)their servers might be spotty and in Ubisoft's case were, 2)the game might be unplayable someday when the servers are shut down.

15. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 09:24 Verno

I'm continually amazed they put money into this franchise, it's never going to be Grand Theft Auto or even close to that. Time to move on. They could have jumpstarted a whole new IP by now with the dev and marketing costs. I can only imagine this is one of those franchises that Joe Bob sees on the Wal-mart shelf and buys based on the name or boxart.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

14. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 08:36 Parallax Abstraction

Rhett wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 22:06:
It's out on 360 at the very least, and it's pretty boring/bland with bad writing. Cars feel like tanks, even.

Can't really recommend it to anyone...

Check out Dirt 3 or GRiD if you need to get your race on.

This. I tried the 360 demo last night and it's pretty bad. It's weird because they clearly put some work into their engine (the cars look great and it never dipped below 60FPS) but the writing was bad, the driving model was terrible and the way they attempt to explain the "shifting" mechanic is so stupid I was like "They aren't serious with this are they?" You aren't missing much with this.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

13. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 08:30 kanniballl

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 08:21:
Luke wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 04:12:
Hmm where have i seen that "always on" drm for SP.....ohh yes D3 but hey thats blizzard so i guess its alright , if you don't like it you don't like it at all Rolleyes

It's always alright, as long as Blizzard or Valve's name is on something they can do no wrong. 2 most overrated dev houses in the entire industry.

I don't know, some people are pretty ticked at Blizzard right now for that. There are posts and articles up all over the place.

I don't MIND always-on DRM since I tend to be always online and I've hardly ever had any problems with FIOS. And my gaming sessions tend to be shorter now.

But if my ISP was flakey or I traveled a lot and played games on a laptop, I'd be ticked.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 08:21 RollinThundr

Luke wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 04:12:
Hmm where have i seen that "always on" drm for SP.....ohh yes D3 but hey thats blizzard so i guess its alright , if you don't like it you don't like it at all Rolleyes

It's always alright, as long as Blizzard or Valve's name is on something they can do no wrong. 2 most overrated dev houses in the entire industry.

11. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 07:29 xXBatmanXx

Grabbed the demo on the 360 - was going to try it out and use that as my basis for purchasing...on the 360 - would not buy for PC.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 04:42 StingingVelvet

Ubisoft shareholders really need to ask the management why they are ignoring and outright pissing on a resurgent PC market.  

9. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 04:16 Paketep

Bwahahahahaha!.

Wasn't this that Ubi was on the official tweet responding to complaints about the DRM with "hey, but this time the PC version is going to release on the same date that the console versions"?.

I guess Ubi can't stop being Ubi.

8. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 04:12 Luke

7. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 03:40 CreamyBlood

I'm on the hate Ubi bandwagon, but besides that I bought a wheel awhile ago and love Dirt 2. It made me get into Toca3 (five or six year old game) and rFactor. At least they are sims. And are actually fun.

But really, Dirt 2 is FUN, they made a game. Horrible, I know. What other gnenres am I missing by playing that? Where did the fun games go?

I'm looking at you Enemey Territory. My love.

6. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 10, 2011, 23:36 Bumpy

Meh. Most will try the full demo any way. Delay is of course to sell more $60 copies instead of the cheaper PC version.

Respect and customer service seem to be 2 things Ubi have no clue about.

5. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 10, 2011, 22:26 JaguarUSF

DiRT 2 is better than DiRT 3.  

4. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 10, 2011, 22:06 Rhett

It's out on 360 at the very least, and it's pretty boring/bland with bad writing. Cars feel like tanks, even.

Can't really recommend it to anyone...

Check out Dirt 3 or GRiD if you need to get your race on.

3. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 10, 2011, 21:59 SM0k3

No demo for PC? I'm shocked................  

2. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 10, 2011, 21:53 Tumbler

Pshh, no demo. Who cares, it's got always on drm so they can let everyone try the game for free and see if they like it before they buy it! This always on drm is an awesome way to protect the consumer! (sarcasm)  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 10, 2011, 21:48 ASeven

At this point is anyone even caring enough to buy any ubi game after all this shit treatment?  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo